Jehovah`s Witness/unfair rendering of john 1:1 in NWT

QUESTION: In yo translation, u inserted 'a god' which is highly inconsistent with not only other bible translation but also what the bible teaches about God himself. for example deut. 32:39 '.... and there are gods apart from me...'.  Pam  honestly how can yo translation insert something that is against what God himself says at deut 32:39?
while u argue against the trinity, to me it seems you are arguing against youselves because by saying what you did at  john 1:1 you are just affarming that there are more than 1 god! hence trinity is true dont u think so?

ANSWER: Hi Aqua,

Thank you for your question. 1 Corinthians 8:5, 6 tells us that “there are many ‘gods’ and many ‘lords,’” states the Bible. However, it adds: “There is actually to us one God the Father, out of whom all things are.” (1 Corinthians 8:5, 6) Yes, there is only one true God.

Consider what John further writes in chapter 1, verse 18: “No man has seen [Almighty] God at any time.” However, humans have seen Jesus, the Son, for John says: “The Word [Jesus] was made flesh, and dwelt among us, and we beheld his glory.”

Moreover, as recorded at John 17:3, Jesus makes a clear distinction between himself and his heavenly Father. He calls his Father “the only true God.” And toward the end of his Gospel, John sums up matters by saying: “These have been written down that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ the Son of God.” (John 20:31) Notice that Jesus is called, not God, but the Son of God. This additional information provided in the Gospel of John shows how John 1:1 should be understood. Jesus, the Word, is “a god” in the sense that he has a high position but is not the same as Almighty God.

Here is some more scriptural support that confirms the truth about the Father, the Son, and the holy spirit.—Psalm 90:2; Acts 7:55; Colossians 1:15.

QUESTION: Thanx for a reply although you have not been able to reconcile deut 32:39 with john 1:1
In what way are there 'no gods apart from' jehovah when john 1:1 clearly says that 'in the beggining... God was.... With a 'god'
is that not a contradiction?

Hi Aqua,

Please forgive me for taking so long to respond to your follow up question. I have been very busy with work and school. I have answered your question below and have included a few more scriptures in my answer.

Deut. 39 says: See now that I—I am he, And there are no gods apart from me. I put to death, and I make alive.I wound, and I will heal, And no one can rescue from my hand.

This verse is where Jehovah, the God of Israel, was addressing his chosen people. (see also Deut. 4:35)Jehovah was the only God to the nation of Israel in that he proven to be the only true God. Though the many nations around him worshiped many (false) gods, made with their own hands, Jehovah's people were to give him exclusive devotion.

John 1:1 says: In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God,+ and the Word was a god.*+ (foot note: or Divine)

Before Jesus came to earth he was one of Jehovah's spirit creatures in heaven. As an angel Jesus was existing in God's form, (a spirit like his heavenly father Jehovah). (see also Philippians 2:5, 6; Colossians 1:15 and Hebrews 1:3)

Jehovah`s Witness

Sister Pam B

Questions about Jehovah's Witnesses and our beliefs.

Learning Bible teachings since 1975. I was baptized in 1994.

Jehovah's Witness

I have a BFA in graphic design and I'm in school for my MFA in animation right now.