Jehovah`s Witness/Is Jesus God

Question
I know Jehovah's Witnesses do not believe that Jesus is God, but I was wondering if there is a particular verse that proves it beyond all doubt in their minds?

Answer
It would be rather difficult to state what has convinced each one of us; it is probably a different Scripture or Scriptures for each individual.

There are a number of passages that alone provides evidence that Jesus is not God, but taken cumulatively provide a solid body of evidence that he is not. Here are just a few of these. (All quotes will be from the KJV Bible.)

Matthew 28:18 — “And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.” If Jesus is God, why did all power have to be GIVEN to him?

Luke 1:31, 32 along with Psalm 83:18 .
Luke 1:31, 32 says: “And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS. He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David.” Who is the Highest?
Psalm 83:18 answers: “That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth.” So Jehovah is the Highest and therefore the Father of Jesus.

John 1:1, 2 — “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God.” If Jesus is God how could be with God?

John 5:22 — “For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son.” If Jesus is God why does his Father have to commit judgment to him?

John 10:36 — “… I said, I am the Son of God.” He did not say “I am God the Son.”

John 14:28 — “… my Father is greater than I.” If Jesus is God why did he say his Father is greater than he? The only way around this is the Trinitarian method of claiming that Jesus was speaking as a man. I cannot find that reasoning in the context.

There are others of course, but for one verse that proves it beyond all doubt by itself in my mind is John 17:3 : “And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God , and Jesus Christ , whom thou hast sent.”

Note that in verse 1 Jesus is praying to his Father, and in verse 3 calls his Father “the only true God.” He then goes on to make a distinction between himself and “the only true God” who sent him. He says “… thee the only true God AND Jesus Christ….”

There is no way Jesus can be God if Jesus own words in that verse are true.
I hope that this information is helpful.

Abdijah

Jehovah`s Witness

Abdijah