Jehovah`s Witness/Bias translation

Question
Hi DW

Hope you and your family are well.

What are your thoughts on the accusations leveled against your NWT bible in that it is biased towards your own theology? John 1:1 is one that is used regularly as an argument for this being the case. How do you reply to such accusations?

Answer
Hi mate

Thanks for writing.

Me and my family are all well, thanks for asking.

My thought's on the alleged bias of the NWT are really that people throw out that accusation for any number of reasons. These include that some just don't want to believe what the Bible really says

2 Tim 4:

3"they will surround themselves with teachers to have their ears tickled"

Some just plainly lie in an attempt to turn people away from Jehovah

Matt 5:

11 "Happy are you when people.......... lyingly say every sort of wicked thing against you"

Yet others are just parroting what others have said about the NWT, without really thinking about it.

The way I see it is that, there's examples were if we really were biased towards our own teachings then we would have ample opportunity to display that. Like here for example.

Luke 24:

39" See my hands and my feet, that it is I myself; touch me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones just as you see that I have"

We could have rendered the word "spirit" here as "ghost" as other bibles have done

The NIV for example

"Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself! Touch me and see; a ghost does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have."

We could have done that as bias as to our belief that the disciples thought the where seeing an apparition/Ghost. That would be a far easier way to show bias to our beliefs than John 1:1 is.

Here's another one

1 Cor 10 "Now I want you to know, brothers, that our forefathers were all under the cloud and all passed through the sea 2 and all got baptized into Moses by means of the cloud and of the sea, 3 and all ate the same spiritual food 4 and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they used to drink from the spiritual rock that followed them, and that rock MEANT the Christ"

Now the word "meant" in the final verse we could have changed to "WAS" in an attempt to show that the angel that followed the Israelites into the red sea was Jesus ,as bias toward our belief that Jesus was an angel. Even the King James says that!!!

"And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock WAS Christ"

Again that would be a far easier way to show bias than John 1:1 if indeed we were showing any bias.

So accusations of bias don't really work as far as I'm concerned.

In regard John 1:1 I see no problem with the way we render it whatsoever. In this verse here we see an "A" added before the word God were there is no "A" in the Greek

Acts 28:

6 "they changed their mind and began saying he was a god"

So it's perfectly acceptable to do that when needed. Other Bibles certainly have no problem with that. In fact the sahidic coptic text on John1:1 also does the same.

"In the beginning existed the word
And the word existed in the presence of the god
And a god was the word"

So being consistent and fair you would have to claim the coptic text is bias as well really. wouldn't you agree??

I could also point out scholars who agree with the accuracy of the NWT, the critics could point out scholars who don't. But really I don't like to do that myself it's just becomes an argument of "he said, she said" . GENERALLY speaking I have no problem with peoples opinions. But the reality is I won't parrot other people I'll show my own reasoning on the subject and/or a reasoning that I agree with.

For example the other day someone I work with asked me why I don't celebrate Easter. I said "well let me put it like this, when I see little fluffy bunny rabbits they don't remind me of Jesus. He said to me "Well you've got a point there". When I told a brother in my hall the conversation he said to me "You should have told him that you where a JW". I said "Well Bro firstly he already knows I'm a JW, secondly that isn't the reason I don't celebrate Easter"
He looked at me puzzled. I said "Think about it". I will say the same to you if you don't understand what I just said think about it.

So that's my viewpoint on the subject.

Follow up if you need

Take Care  

Jehovah`s Witness

Bro DW