Jehovah`s Witness/Luke 15

Hey DW

Hope you can answer this for me.

I was speaking to a baptist minister and he showed me a few verses in Luke 15 that seemed to show a man in hellfire,his name was Lazarus. As I read it I thought that this really does sound like the hellfire teaching. I know you don't believe it but this sure does sound like the hellfire teaching taught by the churches. What do you think?

Hi mate, thanks for writing.

Before I start just a small correction the chapter you are thinking of is in Luke 16, not that it overly matters. I just wanted to point it out to you.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<As I read it I thought that this really does sound like the hellfire teaching. I know you don't believe it but this sure does sound like the hellfire teaching taught by the churches>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

OK my friend let me clear up your confusion. You have to understand that this section of scripture is where they made the whole thing up from. They read it and said "oh the bible teaches hellfire" they didn't think of hellfire and then find this verse after. So it will sound exactly like they teach it.

So here's the thing when we read it. In fact let's look at it now.

Luke 16:

19 "There was a rich man who used to dress in purple and linen, enjoying himself day after day with magnificence. 20 But a beggar named Laz′a·rus used to be put at his gate, covered with ulcers 21 and desiring to be filled with the things dropping from the table of the rich man. Yes, even the dogs would come and lick his ulcers. 22 Now in the course of time, the beggar died and was carried off by the angels to Abraham’s side.
“Also, the rich man died and was buried. 23 And in the Grave he lifted up his eyes, being in torment, and he saw Abraham from afar and Laz′a·rus by his side. 24 So he called and said, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Laz′a·rus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, for I am in anguish in this blazing fire.’ 25 But Abraham said, ‘Child, remember that you had your fill of good things in your lifetime, but Laz′a·rus for his part received bad things. Now, however, he is being comforted here, but you are in anguish. 26 And besides all these things, a great chasm has been fixed between us and you, so that those who want to go over from here to you cannot, neither may people cross over from there to us"

So we read it and at this point we have two choices

1) It's teaching hellfire

2)It means something else

So what we need to do to find out is analyze it in the light of other scriptures and of course logic, let's start with the logical side first.

So let's go through the account and see what we notice within it

Now kind of the first thing I notice is that he seems to be having a pretty reasonable conversation from someone that's in terrible anguish. He seems to be comprehending what he can see and what's happening ,formulating his words well and all that sort of stuff. Now let me tell you I broke my foot a few years ago and was in total agony I couldn't have a reasonable conversation with anybody, that was just with a broken foot so for me a man in anguish in a flaming fire logically has got no chance to converse like this.

The second thing is threefold the rich man is in a blazing fire there's a giant chasm between him and Lazarus and he wants Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool his tongue. Now here's what I see with this.

Firstly what is a drop of water gonna do in hellfire it's gonna evaporate before it even reaches him. If it was me I'd firstly be begging to get taken out of there and failing that I'd be asking for at the very least a bucket of water.

Secondly why does he just want his tongue cooled down what about the rest of him that part also make no sense and third, just how long are this fellas arms to reach all the way across that chasm to give him that drop of water? Nowhere in this account do I see that he asked inspector gadget to get the water so he could send his "go go gadget arm" all the way across that chasm. That makes no sense at all

So just looking at this account logically it has all the hall marks of symbolism rather than being literal.

Now here's another point to keep in mind, the rich man speaks to God from hellfire right? Yet some, maybe all (i'm not sure on that)members of Christendom don't believe you can talk or pray to God from hellfire. So they also need to explain that away. You'll have to ask that minister that first before you use it,though.

Now the next point is this. There is two other chapters in the scriptures that record this time of Jesus ministry and the conversation he had that day Matt 19 and Mark 10 and neither of them even mention this account. So if this was such an important doctrine as hellfire is in Christendom it seems that the other two accounts or one at the very least anyway would mention it right?? All three of them mention this

Luke 16:

"18 Everyone who divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery, and whoever marries a woman divorced from her husband commits adultery"

9  "I say to you that whoever divorces his wife, except on the grounds of sexual immorality, and marries another commits adultery"

Mark 10:

11 He said to them: “Whoever divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery against her, 12 and if ever a woman after divorcing her husband marries another, she commits adultery"

So it looks like Christendom should be putting more emphasis on the subject of divorce and forget hellfire altogether.

Now lets look through some other arguments and briefly summarize

God is love,we don't even need the scriptures for that look at creation why do we see in colour ,why is nature so beautiful, why doesn't all food taste the same all these things are unnecessary for life, all these things are unnecessary to provide people unless you're a God of love.

Yet we're expected to believe that he tortures his children or even people for that matter forever in a blazing fire and then to add to it he gets the devil, his enemy and the one responsible for leading them astray in the first place to punish them for him!! Would you do that to your kids? Torture them for being disobedient? and/or the child that lead them astray would you use to punish them? If not why not?

That would make us sick in the head. It's inbuilt in us that, that sort of behaviour is disgusting, that's how we are created to think like that. Yet we're expected to believe that God created us with that wrong thinking and really the torturers and sadists of the world are the ones closer to God's way of thinking!! I'm sorry to go off on a tangent but that filthy accusation on my Father boils my blood!!

OK let's move on, brief scriptures and brief questions for you too answer for yourself.

John 3: 13" Moreover, no man has ascended into heaven"

So how is Lazarus in heaven here then??

Gen 3: 19 "For dust you are and to dust you will return"

When people die they go to dust. No mention of going to hellfire here, is there?

Hosea 13: 14 From the power of the Grave I will redeem them;
From death I will recover them.
Where are your stings, O Death?
Where is your destructiveness, O Grave

John 5:28 Do not be amazed at this, for the hour is coming in which all those in the memorial tombs will hear his voice and come out"

If Death is a place of eternal torment how are people gonna be redeemed from it?

Why is the expression "memorial tombs" and not "hell fire"?

Rev 21:4" And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more"

How can death be no more if it's eternal?

Rev 20:14 And death and the Grave were hurled into the lake of fire"

How can a lake of fire be thrown into a lake of fire and for what purpose?

That's just a handful I could do this all day.

Now one final point. Jesus always told stories, used illustrations used parables this was no exception it was a parable a story . Logic and of course scripture dictates that fact to us as we've seen.

Now if you want to know what the parable means follow up, as that is a different subject entirely.

Take care  

Jehovah`s Witness

Bro DW

I have many years of experience serving Jehovah . I have known Jehovah a long time and I have known his organization . I have been privileged to see great progress not only in my own personal relationship with my God and Father but within his organization. I am an avid reader of the bible and have been gifted by my Father with the indescribable privilege of being allowed to understand his own word.

The truth is all about scripture and logic. The two go hand in hand . There is not one bible verse that cannot be understood within the realms of human reasoning. Not one!! Why would it?? The bible is God's message to his creation . His creation who he made to understand things in a specific way. God is not stupid or unwise as to leave as a message then allow us to guess what it means or who he is. 1 Tim 2:3This is fine and acceptable in the sight of our Savior, God, 4whose will is that all sorts of people should be saved and come to an accurate knowledge of truth" Notice the expression "accurate knowledge".

The bible leaves signs of true christianity there are many. Jehovah's witnesses meet every single sign. One sign is the removal of false teachings that permeated the world soon after the apostles died. Jesus foretold this and he also foretold of the restoration of pure worship in the period known as the last days. The days we are currently living in. Jesus was a master of using illustrations he used an illustration to highlight this point Matt 13: "The Kingdom of the heavens may be likened to a man who sowed fine seed in his field. 25While men were sleeping, his enemy came and oversowed weeds in among the wheat and left. 26When the stalk sprouted and produced fruit, then the weeds also appeared. 27So the slaves of the master of the house came and said to him, ‘Master, did you not sow fine seed in your field? How, then, does it have weeds?’ 28He said to them, ‘An enemy, a man, did this.’ The slaves said to him, ‘Do you want us, then, to go out and collect them?’ 29He said, ‘No, for fear that while collecting the weeds, you uproot the wheat with them. 30Let both grow together until the harvest, and in the harvest season, I will tell the reapers: First collect the weeds and bind them in bundles to burn them up; then gather the wheat into my storehouse" Why did he speak in illustrations? Matt 13:10So the disciples came and said to him: “Why do you speak to them by the use of illustrations?” 11In reply he said: “To you it is granted to understand the sacred secrets of the Kingdom of the heavens, but to them it is not granted" The kingdom of the heavens is full of sacred secrets that Jesus reveals only to his followers. This privilege is open to all who are really willing to submit to God and his Christ in action not just in words. These are the ones God is looking for. Are you really one?? If so I encourage you to let Jehovah's witnesses show you what the Bible really teaches.

False religion is disgusting to God and to his true worshippers it is likened in the Bible to a harlot Rev 17:"I will show you the judgment upon the great harlot who sits on many waters, 2with whom the kings of the earth committed fornication, whereas those who inhabit the earth were made drunk with the wine of her fornication" Whereas the bride of Christ is likened to a virgin Rev 14: 4"These are the ones who did not defile themselves with women; in fact, they are virgins" These are both used as spiritual terms here and show the importance of pure and clean worship for God's people.