Jehovah`s Witness/Roots of Sacrifice

Which are the roots of sacrifice? Is the sacrifice of blood and life an offering to the ancient Gods Earth and Heaven from whom everything came to life? Blood and flesh returning to the Earth and spirit goes up to Heaven?

Did people believe that ancient gods had sacrificed themselves for humanity so they needed blood?

And why so much blood? If there was a symbolism, why continuously sacrifice lives instead of making symbolic acts? If it wasnt a symbolism then God/Gods were never full of blood.

I really dont understand. We have taken for granted that Jewish sacrifice was different than the sacrifice of other nations. The only difference I see is using animals instead of humans and offering sacrifices to one God instead of many.

Isnt is possible that Jewish sacrifice is just an update of sacrifice?

Christians say that Jews had to continuously sacrifice animals so that they grasp the idea of suffering Messiah. But again, why not making a symbolic act instead of killing so many animals through the centuries? How many animals had to be killed before Jesus arrives? A theatrical act is better than killing in reality.

Also we read that Jesus says I want mercy, not sacrifice. For than reason Im beginning to consider it illogical and cruel that Jesus had to sacrifice Himself.And the prophets before Him said that Jehovah is not satisfied with sacrifice, He wants a change of heart.

Too messy. Too many opinions. Which is the right one? Every christian has his view. This is a real Babylon and we are all in ignorance and speculation.

Hey Christaras,

Sorry, I answered this question, and for some reason I received an email today telling me I had not.  I'm a bit confused by that.  Unfortunately, I don't have a draft of what I said before, and I am really short on time right now.  Please excuse the brevity of this answer.

To respond to the need for sacrifice in general as well as the sacrifice of Jesus, I go to Hebrews 9:22-28.  "And according to the Law, one may almost say, all things are cleansed with blood, and without shedding of blood there is no forgiveness. (23) Therefore it was necessary for the copies of the things in the heavens to be cleansed with these, but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these.  (24) For Christ did not enter a holy place made with hands, a mere copy of the true one, but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us; (25) nor was it that he would offer Himself often, as the high priest enters the holy place year by year with blood that is not his own. (26) Otherwise, He would have needed to suffer often since the foundation of the world; but now once at the consummation of the ages He has been manifested to put away sin by the sacrifice of Himself. (27) And inasmuch as it is appointed for men to die once and after this comes judgment, (28) so Christ also, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time for salvation without reference to sin, to those who eagerly await Him."

I can't really answer the reason that so many other religions felt blood sacrifice was important.  I'm sure each has a different reason.  For Christianity, it is about atonement of personal sin in order to come to God holy and pure, not just to appease a god to get rain or whatever.

Which is the right one?  That is the question of the millennium.  Of course every Christian believes that he or she has the right one.  Many will tell you they do, but few will show you they do.  It is a personal relationship with God and His Son Jesus that bears the fruit that convinces me of which one is right.  Please note that I said "personal" not "religious".  A religion is not a relationship.  Many people inside every religion fail to blossom convincing fruit.  I believe that you can tell the difference in this very forum.  Thanks for your patience again.

Jehovah`s Witness

I am not a Jehovah's Witness, however I can answer many questions concerning the ideas and doctrines on which they disagree with mainstream Christianity. I have spent a great deal of time in ministry with current and ex-Jehovah's Witnesses, as well as those who have started to become disillusioned with the Watchtower Organization.

Jehovah's Witnesses are generally wonderful and moral people who are zealous for God. However, in their zeal, they have pledged allegiance to what they believe is God's spirit-directed organization. This allegiance blinds them from allowing God's word alone to work in them. My hope is to share the love of Jesus Christ with all who seek salvation, no matter their label or denomination. My experiences come from the relationship that I have with Him as the source of my daily strength. These experiences create an undeniable testimony of salvation by grace through faith in the cleansing blood of the Lamb of God. Through prayer and meditation on God's holy word alone, we find truth as revealed to us through the Holy Spirit.

As the word "organization" is misleading in this particular area, I want to be clear that, as a member of the body of Christ, the label or denomination of the church I attend is not the source of my salvation. I do not go to or through any organization for official knowledge or guidance. I go to God's word alone.

I have a Bachelor and Master's Degree with extensive educational experience.