Jehovah`s Witness/is reading the bible a waste of my time?

Greetings sister t.

After having time to digest your answer about the meaning  in Luke chapter 16 of the parable of the richman and the beggar and your other answers. It appears to me I have no idea what I'm reading. I mean i never could have figured out the real teachings just by reading the bible. And forget about doing a home bible study with the jws. If they can't understand these secret meanings of the bible either, why waste my time opening my door to some one who just goes to the watchtower  for understanding. Now granted, I haven't read the bible in its entirety,  but I think I should cut my losses so to speak , and devote my full attention to reading the watchtower and its take of the true meanings.  After all , they use scriptures, so it would be like reading the bible. This whole idea that Stephen was having a  vision  in the book of acts,just flew over my head. My jw co worker even told me I don't read the bible. So what's the point of reading the bible? Do you have a recommendation of a good year to start with for my watchtower study?

Hello Kevin,

Nothing should ever take the place of the Bible and reading the Bible daily.  JW's would never tell someone to not read the Bible and only read the Watchtower, we don't even do that.  JW's take the Bible as being inspired of God!  Our creator of the universe is the Author of the Bible, nothing and no one should ever take the place of the Bible.  

Since the Bible has ONE author, who is Jehovah God, a God of order and of peace and harmony, then it stands to reason that the ENTIRE Bible would also be in complete harmony as well.  So when a person is taught something that contradicts other parts of the Bible, and also what the Bible shows our God to be, then you can't believe what they say.  

Acts 17:11 "Now these were more noble-minded than those in Thes·sa·lo·ni′ca, for they accepted the word with the greatest eagerness of mind, carefully examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so."

Our Watchtower publications and other publications are strictly based on the Bible, so without reading the Bible there could be no Watchtower publication or others.  It's Bible based, but it does not take the place of the Bible, never has and never will.

That's why all of my answers are filled with Scriptures from the Bible, because God's Word has the last word.  But the Bible based publications help to put things in perspective and gain a better understanding.  Just like when you go to school to learn a trade, they don't give you the text book and say figure it out.  No, you go with your text book and a teacher helps you to understand what the text book is saying.  But the teacher doesn't give their own doctrine, they go by what the text book says.  So it is with the FDS, they do not give their own doctrines, but they go by what the Bible says.  

2 Tim 3:16,17 "All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, 17 so that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work."

That's also why the FDS has made corrections because it's not doctrines of men that we go by, it's God's word that takes precedence.  So with doing Bible research, along with praying to God for understanding, a former teaching may be in need of correction,  this is because they are humble enough to want to abide by the Bible first and foremost, people ridicule and carry on but it really doesn't matter or even phase us, because serving God according to his Word the Bible out weighs any such mockings or ridicule.   

The Bible is like a letter from God, but you are right, you can't grasp some things from the Bible without help from God.  The Bible even says so itself.  And is why it gives scriptures showing that.

Matt 16:13, 16,17  "When he had come into the region of Caes·a·re′a Phi·lip′pi, Jesus asked his disciples: “Who are men saying the Son of man is?”  16  Simon Peter answered: “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” 17 In response Jesus said to him: “Happy you are, Simon son of Jo′nah, because flesh and blood did not reveal it to you, but my Father in the heavens did."

Like the Ethiopian eunuch who was reading the Bible, he didn't understand and needed someone to explain things to him.  

Acts 8: 30,31  "Philip ran alongside and heard him reading aloud Isaiah the prophet, and he said: “Do you actually know* what you are reading?” 31 He said: “Really, how could I ever do so unless someone guided me?” So he urged Philip to get on and sit down with him."

Just like the parables that Jesus spoke, there is a reason why some things need to be explained because if you are truly interested in seeking God then you will dig to find out.  It wasn't granted to some to find out.

Matt 13:10-15 "So the disciples came and said to him: “Why do you speak to them by the use of illustrations?” 11 In reply he said: “To you it is granted to understand the sacred secrets of the Kingdom of the heavens, but to them it is not granted. 12 For whoever has, more will be given him, and he will be made to abound; but whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him. 13 That is why I speak to them by the use of illustrations; for looking, they look in vain, and hearing, they hear in vain, nor do they get the sense of it. 14 And the prophecy of Isaiah is being fulfilled in their case. It says: ‘You will indeed hear but by no means get the sense of it, and you will indeed look but by no means see. 15 For the heart of this people has grown unreceptive, and with their ears they have heard without response, and they have shut their eyes, so that they might never see with their eyes and hear with their ears and get the sense of it with their hearts and turn back and I heal them.’"

That's where Jehovah comes in at, he grants understanding and discernment to those whose heart are complete towards Him, if one teaches a lie against him and refuses the truth about him, how can ones heart be complete towards him?  

2 Chronicles 16:9 "For the eyes of Jehovah are roving about through all the earth to show his strength in behalf of those whose heart is complete toward him...."

Jehovah is a revealer of secrets.  And if you don't want to study with JW's then unfortunately you will remain in the dark.  Jehovah will not give understanding to the false religions of this world who refuse to teach even the basic Bible truths.  That's why the Bible says some have a zeal for God but not according to accurate knowledge.  

Romans 10:2,3 "For I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God, but not according to accurate knowledge. 3 For because of not knowing the righteousness of God but seeking to establish their own, they did not subject themselves to the righteousness of God."

Daniel 2:28 "But there is a God in the heavens who is a Revealer of secrets,..."

Daniel 12:10 "Many will cleanse themselves and whiten themselves and will be refined. And the wicked ones will act wickedly, and none of the wicked will understand; but those having insight will understand."

Romans 10:13- "For “everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved.” 14 However, how will they call on him if they have not put faith in him? How, in turn, will they put faith in him about whom they have not heard? How, in turn, will they hear without someone to preach? 15 How, in turn, will they preach unless they have been sent out? Just as it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who declare good news of good things!”

Proverbs 2:1-6 "My son, if you accept my sayings  And treasure up my commandments,  2 By making your ear attentive to wisdom  And inclining your heart to discernment;  3 Moreover, if you call out for understanding  And raise your voice for discernment;  4 If you keep seeking for it as for silver,  And you keep searching for it as for hidden treasures;  5 Then you will understand the fear of Jehovah, And you will find the knowledge of God. 6 For Jehovah himself gives wisdom; From his mouth come knowledge and discernment."

There is only one faith, all faiths do not lead to God....

Ephesians 4:5 "one Lord, one faith, one baptism;"

Good Day,

Sister T  

Jehovah`s Witness

Sister T

Please click here--> For your Free Home Bible Study

I can answer questions related to Jehovah's Witnesses and the Bible. I love learning the truth from the Bible and helping others to learn that truth as well. I don't know everything but will answer from the Bible, I like to use illustrations as well to help a person relate to what is being said. The Bible has the last say so over any person.

I am an active baptized Jehovah's Witness and Jehovah is Almighty God,(Ps. 83:18) and his Son Jesus Christ died so that everyone exercising faith in him may not be destroyed but have everlasting life. (John 3:16). I support my fellow Witnesses on this board who are real, and Jehovah's worldwide visible organization, including the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses. As God is not a God of disorder, and there could not be order if there were not ones to take the lead. Taking the lead and having a leader is not the same, our leader is Jesus Christ, and in order to have unity and order, there has to be arrangements in place. As the first century Christians had, there were men taking the lead, (Acts 6:1-6) as with Moses, (Exodus 18:21) and in our day, in following with Bible truths, we do the same. When people twist that around to us worshiping men, it is just a straight out lie! Why would the Scripture at 1 Tim. 3:1-10, 12, 13 give the criteria for men reaching out for an office of overseer if that was not meant to be? (Phil 1:1, Acts 20:17, 28, Eph. 4:11, 12, 2 Cor. 3:4-6). If we were not supposed to have men who take the lead, why was this scripture penned? James 5:14-15 "Is there anyone sick among YOU? Let him call the older men of the congregation to [him], and let them pray over him, greasing [him] with oil in the name of Jehovah. 15 And the prayer of faith will make the indisposed one well, and Jehovah will raise him up. Also, if he has committed sins, it will be forgiven him."

If you have legit questions and want to know the truth, please ask, but if you are here to spread your lies and twists of the scriptures or get your falsehoods out, you may get rejected! The truth is from the Bible, if what you say does not harmonize with the Bible then what you say is wrong! Context and other scriptures help determine scriptures that may stump us, let scripture interpret scripture. The Bible does not contradict itself, so if what you are being taught or if what you are teaching makes it seem like the Bible is contradictory, remember it's not the Bible it's the man-made teaching! Doctrines of men! Mark 7:6, 7 "He said to them: “Isaiah aptly prophesied about YOU hypocrites, as it is written, ‘This people honor me with [their] lips, but their hearts are far removed from me. 7 It is in vain that they keep worshiping me, because they teach as doctrines commands of men." (also Romans 10:2, 3)

Matthew 24:14 says "And this good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come." We are doing that today, we are living in times of Bible Prophecy and as a Jehovah's Witness, we have the privilege to be apart of a prophecy spoken by Jesus himself! The good news of the Kingdom. Ask yourself, what kingdom? then read Daniel 2:44! It's a real government. Take heed now! Listening to men over God will mean your life.(Prov 3:5,6, Ps. 146:3) A lie will never become truth, No matter how long or how many people say it or speak it. Learn what the Bible really teaches, seek out Jehovah's ways, serving God in truth is only acceptable to him,(John 4:23, 24) you can not be serving God acceptably if what you believe is a lie! Pray for understanding and ask Jehovah to search your heart and draw you! (John 6:44, 65) Now is the time to be with the people who are called by Jehovah's name! (Acts 15:14, 17, Isa. 43:7, 10, Zech 8:23)