Jehovah`s Witness/1914 Marked Year or Is It?

Question

I remember learning about how 1914 was a marked year as far as the Witnesses were concerned. They believed that the bible prophesied that Satan was hurled down to the Earth (Rev 12:9) and that Jesus was made King. The anointed 144,000 were to join him and sit at his right hand...which didn't happen. There is also the bible passage that mentions how the 'new paradise' was soon to occur afterwards but first, humankind was to undergo Armageddon first where sinners were to be destroyed making the pathway clean for Jehovah's favoured people to live forever in paradise. In this paradise, the dead would be resurrected. A child would play with wild animals and no harm would come to it. The words that guaranteed all this would occur was from the passage found in Matt 24:34, "Truly, I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place."

Now speed ahead...and we are living in the 100th year when the society, or C. T. Russell made the claim that 1914 was a special year. I remember hearing that individuals had to fully understand the significance of 1914, etc. to be counted as part of that generation. For those born in 1914, they will be turning 100 years old this year. For those able to understand the significance (estimated to be between 10 - 15 years old) they are already dead. So it is safe to say, the generation that witnessed all the events of 1914, and were able to understand it all, have now passed away. But unless I am sleeping, there is no paradise...there is no Armageddon...no destruction of the wicked. Life is carrying on the way it has always carried on.  

So, how does that play into the Witnesses' prediction of when Armageddon is to occur and when the paradise, which is 'just around the corner' (for the past 100 years) plays into this. It seems once again, the Witnesses were wrong. And they misled many into believing that falsehood for reasons I am still trying to understand. Is it another case of misinterpretation by the Witnesses...similar to the one that had it's followers believing 1975 was THE year Armageddon was to start. My mother told me that her and dad put off buying a house because they were told Armageddon was coming. What is the explanation for it this time? Another misinterpretation?...misunderstanding?...apostate questioning....what?

It boils down to being...IT IS NOT TRUE!AND NEVER, EVER WILL BE!!

God is inside you and me...we are God. We (humans) created God. There is no paradise...there is no coming Armageddon. Paradise is inside of us and what we do to access it. If there was a Paradise, it would have been here by now, according to the JW prophesy. So...my question is...what are the Witnesses teaching regarding their prophesy/prediction of Armageddon and the following paradise? If their teaching is so wrong...what is going on with their other teachings? You boldly profess to preach "THE TRUTH"...but where is it? Help me to understand.

Answer
Hello and thanks for writing with your questions and concerns.

It seems that you are very confused about things because of what you've been told.  And I will try to help you get a better understanding as best I can.  But you also have to have an open mind to accept truths from the Bible and also realize that as an organization, Jehovah's Witnesses have NEVER claimed to be inspired of God, nor have we ever uttered Bible prophecies from our own origination.  If anyone says this, it's simply not true.

To me 1975 was a bunch of people who were living for a date, rather than living for the love of God.  No one forced any one to not buy a home.  If it was thought that Armageddon would come in 1975, our publications made it clear that it was a "possibility" or "probability" not a fact!

1975 is still the time when man's existence according to the creation of Adam would be 6,000 years old.  

1975 was a cleansing period, would people remain faithful to God, or would they throw up their hands when their expectations of a "probability" were not realized?  If one is truly a servant of Jehovah, they will know that it's not man's expectations that we live for, but we are to wait on God.  Some were like Jesus described as seeds sown.  

Matthew 13:20,21 "As for the one sown on rocky ground, this is the one hearing the word and at once accepting it with joy. 21 Yet, he has no root in himself but continues for a time, and after tribulation or persecution has arisen on account of the word, he is at once stumbled."

Armageddon is still coming, each day that passes it's more nearer than before and we are still told from the Bible to be in expectation of it, it will happen and it will come to pass, as that's what God said in the Bible, and God cannot lie.   (Rev 16:16; Hab 2:3; Heb 6:18)

2 Peter 3:8,9 "However, do not let this escape your notice, beloved ones, that one day is with Jehovah as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day. 9 Jehovah is not slow concerning his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with you because he does not desire anyone to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance."

Yes we do not know the exact day and hour (Matt 24:36) but from the things in the Bible we can see that it is upon us.  And the ones who keep on the watch will not be taken by surprise as the ones who refuse to believe it will happen. The Bible helps us to see that Jehovah's day, or Armageddon is near.

1 Thes. 5:1-4 "Now as for the times and the seasons, brothers, you need nothing to be written to you. 2 For you yourselves know very well that Jehovah’s day is coming exactly as a thief in the night. 3 Whenever it is that they are saying, “Peace and security!” then sudden destruction is to be instantly on them, just like birth pains on a pregnant woman, and they will by no means escape. 4 But you, brothers, you are not in darkness, so that the day should overtake you as it would thieves,"

Joel 1:15 "Woe because of the day! For the day of Jehovah is near, And it will come like a destruction from the Almighty!"

Obadiah 15 "For the day of Jehovah against all the nations is near. As you have done, so it will be done to you. The way you treated others will come back on your own head."

1914 is from the Bible, and the equations are right there.  Jesus also told his disciples when his presence would be and when the conclusion of the system of things would take place.  

Here's a link you can read about 1914:

http://www.jw.org/en/publications/books/bible-teach/1914-a-significant-year-in-b

The Truth is in the Bible, if humans created God, then who created humans?  And why can't any humans today bring something to life from non living matter?  Nothing has ever spring up from non living matter to living matter on its own.  If they could create, then they would do it now, and if they could make a living thing from a non living thing they should be able to stop a person from dying or bring a person back from death.  And we see that is not the case at all.  

The teaching of the Bible is what we teach, it is Bible prophecy from God, not from us.

2 Peter 1:20, 21 "For you know this first, that no prophecy of Scripture springs from any private interpretation. 21 For prophecy was at no time brought by man’s will, but men spoke from God as they were moved by holy spirit."

Do you believe the Bible is from God?  

The Bible tells us what God's purpose is for the earth and the ones who obey Him to the end.  The earth will be made into a paradise because God will rid the earth of those who ruin it, and only the ones who obey Jehovah will be left on earth.

Rev. 11:18 "But the nations became wrathful, and your own wrath came, and the appointed time came for the dead to be judged and to reward your slaves the prophets and the holy ones and those fearing your name, the small and the great, and to bring to ruin those ruining the earth.”

Psalms 37:9-11 "For evil men will be done away with, But those hoping in Jehovah will possess the earth. 10 Just a little while longer, and the wicked will be no more; You will look at where they were, And they will not be there. 11 But the meek will possess the earth,
And they will find exquisite delight in the abundance of peace."

Psalms 37:29 "The righteous will possess the earth, And they will live forever on it."

Humans once felt that the earth was held up by something, but the One who created it had it put in the Bible that the earth was suspended upon nothing.  If humans created God, why would they not know these things all along?  They are found in the Bible but it's not until thousands of years later that people actually flew to space to see it for themselves.  

Job 26:7 "He stretches out the northern sky over empty space, Suspending the earth upon nothing;"

People didn't fly into space until the 1960's....and there they saw for themselves that the earth was a circle, that it was round...yet for many decades, people thought the earth was flat.  But the One who created all things, who is Jehovah God, knew the earth was a circle because he created it, and He is real, and had it penned in his word the Bible.

Isaiah 40:22 "There is One who dwells above the circle of the earth, And its inhabitants are like grasshoppers. He is stretching out the heavens like a fine gauze, And he spreads them out like a tent to dwell in."

That scripture at Isaiah 40:22 also helps us to see that God is not inside us, but he dwells above the earth.  He has a dwelling place.

1 Kings 8:30, 39 "And listen to your servant’s request for favor and to the request by your people Israel that they pray toward this place, and may you hear from your dwelling place in the heavens; yes, may you hear and forgive." 39 then may you hear from the heavens, your dwelling place, and may you forgive and take action; and reward each one according to all his ways, for you know his heart (you alone truly know every human heart),"

Psalms 33:13, 14 "Jehovah looks down from heaven; He sees all the sons of men. 14 From his place of residence, He gazes on the inhabitants of the earth."

Rev. 4:11 "“You are worthy, Jehovah our God, to receive the glory and the honor and the power, because you created all things, and because of your will they came into existence and were created.”

Let me try to help you understand about a generation.  A generation is made up of people living during a certain time, and as people grow older, other people are being born, time doesn't stand still...it continues on.  For example, the generation that sees all the things that Jesus foretold on a global scale will see the end as well.  Does that mean only people who were born in 1914?  No, because 1914 was the beginning of the last days, all those things had not taken place on a global scale yet.  Generations overlap....just like my grandmother was alive to see my grandchild.  We see there: my grandma's time, my mom's time, my time, my child's time, and my grand child's time, yet they all were alive during the same time period at one time.  So generations overlap, and the generation that is living during all the global things that Jesus said would take place will see the end.  That is the time we live in right now.  So if I die before the end comes....does that blot out the ones who are still alive and younger than I who are seeing all these things?  No it doesn't.  It just means I died before the fulfillment, because others who are seeing these things take place on a global scale are still here.

I tried to help you understand in a simpler way....

I understand that you may feel angry and hurt do to others unjust expectations, or maybe even your own, but please don't let that stop you from learning the truth about Jehovah, He is real, and He is a God of love.  (1 John 4:8)  And coming to know Him will clear up confusion and unanswered questions.

Why not study the Bible and see what we actually teach rather then going by what others say who may feel hurt or some sort of resentment due to their own lack of faith.  (Heb. 12:1,2; Heb. 3:12)  Satan is real too and he doesn't want anyone to learn about Jehovah, that's why he started so many other religions that teach the complete opposite of what Jehovah says, they are false, there is only one true faith.

2 Cor. 4:4 "among whom the god of this system of things has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, so that the illumination of the glorious good news about the Christ, who is the image of God, might not shine through."

Eph. 4:5 "one Lord, one faith, one baptism;"

Having a study does not mean you have to become a JW, but I think it would be good for you to know for yourself what we believe and what we teach which is from the Bible.

also go to JW.org

Our basic teachings are in this book

http://www.jw.org/en/publications/books/bible-teach/

Take care,

Sister T

Jehovah`s Witness

Sister T