Jehovah`s Witness/Baptism - A Few Clarifications

Question
First let me say this, Eph 2:8 helps us to see that being saved through faith by the free gift from God is not something we can earn by doing works.  That gift was put into place way before any one of us was ever born, it was from God's undeserved kindness that he would send his son.  So having faith in the sacrifice of Jesus is the means of salvation by which our sins can be forgiven and we can obtain ever lasting life.  That gift is there, no amount of works will or can earn that.  Now who can benefit from that free gift?  Does God have requirements?  This is where people stop reading the Bible and do as they please.

If one reads the Bible then it is clear that Jehovah has always had requirements.  Starting with the Jews on down.

Deut. 30:15-18  "“See, I do put before you today life and good, and death and bad. 16 If you listen to the commandments of Jehovah your God that I am commanding you today, by loving Jehovah your God, by walking in his ways, and by keeping his commandments and his statutes and his judicial decisions, then you will live and multiply, and Jehovah your God will bless you in the land you are going to possess. 17 “But if your heart turns away and you do not listen and you are enticed and bow down to other gods and serve them, 18 I tell you today that you will certainly perish. You will not live long in the land you are crossing the Jordan to possess."

Gal 6:2 "Go on carrying the burdens of one another, and in this way you will fulfill the law of the Christ."

John 15:10 "If you observe my commandments, you will remain in my love, just as I have observed the commandments of the Father and remain in his love."

1 John 5:3 "For this is what the love of God means, that we observe his commandments; and yet his commandments are not burdensome,"

First we know that the Jewish people were already servants of Jehovah God and followed the Law given to Moses, even though they deviated from it.  They were expecting the Messiah to come, however when he came the nation as a whole rejected him.  

John 4:20, 25  "Our forefathers worshipped on this mountain, but you people say that in Jerusalem is the place where people must worship.”

25 "The woman said to him: “I know that Mes·si′ah is coming, who is called Christ. Whenever that one comes, he will declare all things to us openly.” 26 Jesus said to her: “I am he, the one speaking to you.”

Matthew 21:42,43 "Jesus said to them: “Did you never read in the Scriptures, ‘The stone that the builders rejected, this has become the chief cornerstone. This has come from Jehovah, and it is marvelous in our eyes’? 43 This is why I say to you, the Kingdom of God will be taken from you and be given to a nation producing its fruits."

We also know that John the Baptizer, had prepared the way baptizing ones in water for repentance against the Law covenant given to them via Moses.

Mark 1:2-5, 7, 8  "Just as it is written in Isaiah the prophet: “(Look! I am sending my messenger ahead of you, who will prepare your way.) 3 A voice of one crying out in the wilderness: ‘Prepare the way of Jehovah! Make his roads straight.’” 4 John the Baptizer was in the wilderness, preaching baptism in symbol of repentance for forgiveness of sins. 5 And all the territory of Ju·de′a and all the inhabitants of Jerusalem were going out to him, and they were baptized by him in the Jordan River, openly confessing their sins."    

7 And he was preaching: “Someone stronger than I am is coming after me, the lace of whose sandals I am not worthy to stoop down and untie. 8 I baptized you with water, but he will baptize you with holy spirit.”

We know that any other nationality that wanted to worship Jehovah along with the Jews were called Proselytes and had to get circumcised.  Why can it be said that the Ethiopian "Eunuch" was a Jewish proselyte?

Answer
The Ethiopian eunuch who was ‘over the treasures’ of Queen Candace, and to whom Philip preached, was obviously a circumcised Jewish proselyte. (Acts 8:27-39) He was thus not viewed as a Gentile and hence did not precede Cornelius as the first uncircumcised Gentile convert to Christianity. (Acts 10) For the Ethiopian to engage in worship at the temple in Jerusalem he must have been converted to the Jewish religion and circumcised. (Ex 12:48, 49; Lev 24:22) In view of the Mosaic Law, which forbade the entry of castrated persons into the congregation of Israel (Deut 23:1), it is evident that the Ethiopian was not a eunuch in a fleshly sense. The Hebrew word for “eunuch” (sa·ris′) in a broad or special sense also meant an officer, as at Genesis 39:1, where an officer of Pharaoh, Potiphar, a married man, is called a sa·ris′.

The Greek term eu·nou′khos, rendered “eunuch,” can refer either to a man deprived of his ability to procreate or simply to a high-ranking court official. Court officials who oversaw the harem of a king may actually have been castrated, but emasculation was not a requirement for other officials, such as a king’s cupbearer or treasury overseer. The Ethiopian eunuch whom Philip baptized was evidently that type of official, for he oversaw a royal treasury. In effect, he was a minister of finance.

The Ethiopian was also a proselyte, that is, a non-Jew who had embraced the worship of Jehovah. Indeed, he had just been to Jerusalem to worship. (Acts 8:27) Because of this, we can conclude that the Ethiopian could not have been a eunuch in the literal sense, for the Mosaic Law forbade castrated men from becoming part of the congregation of Israel.  (Deut 23:1)

Had the Ethiopian officer been an actual eunuch, he would not have been a proselyte, and if not a proselyte, Philip would not have baptized him, since the good news had not yet begun to be extended to the uncircumcised Gentiles.

After Jesus came to Earth, first of all the Baptism by John was to be replaced with being baptized in the name of the father, the son, and the holy spirit.  Who was the Father according to the Jews?  Jehovah God, who they already had belief in and were worshipping.  They also knew of Jehovah's holy spirit.  But now they not only had to believe in the Father, Jehovah, they also needed to put Faith and belief in Jesus.  This was important because the majority of the Jews rejected Jesus as the Messiah.  So after being given proof that Jesus was actually the Messiah, then all that was left was for them to get baptized.   And thus we see that they believed unto Jesus along with already believing in Jehovah.  But now serving Jehovah meant they needed to recognize and believe that Jesus was Jehovah's means of salvation.  There was no question that they already had belief in Jehovah.  So the emphasis was now to help them believe in Jesus.  Peter taught them and told them to repent and get baptized.  (Acts 3:11-19; Acts 4:1-4)   

Here we see a few things happening before baptism...Being taught, believing, repenting, baptism....

Jesus said to go there and "MAKE DISCIPLES....TEACHING THEM ALL THE THINGS HE COMMANDED THEM"  if all one had to do was just believe or have faith ONLY in Jesus and nothing more, why didn't Jesus say this instead:  "Go therefore baptizing all people"  Why did he say MAKE DISCIPLES, why did he say TEACH THEM ALL THE THINGS HE COMMANDED, if that was not needed at all, then Jesus would not have said it.   

How does one make disciples?  Jesus tells us, by teaching them all the things he commanded.  So that means that one needs to be taught truths about Jehovah and Jesus.  Why?  Because after the apostles died out, there came a great apostasy (Acts 20:29,30).  People were teaching lies about Jehovah and Jesus.  So it is important that people have an accurate knowledge of truth. (Ro. 10:2) It was important that one be doing the WILL of God, (Matt 7:21)  

Jesus also said at Matthew 24:14 "And this good news of the Kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come"

We see this is what we do as JW's, ones are taught about Jehovah and Jesus, and then the person needs to believe, repent, become a disciple, get baptized.

James made it clear that faith alone was not all that was needed, as I mentioned before,  Satan's religions teach the opposite of what the Bible says.  This is Satan's way of keeping people in the dark, (2 Cor 4:4) so that they will not abide by the will of God and repent, as Jesus said this is the only way to be apart of God's kingdom.  To believe in Jesus as being the means by which we can be saved is a must, and is needed.   But obviously Satan's religion's end it there...and conveniently leave out the rest that is vital, as we read:

James 2:14,17 "Of what benefit is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but he does not have works? That faith cannot save him, can it? 17 So, too, faith by itself, without works, is dead."

James 2:24 "You see that a man is to be declared righteous by works and not by faith alone"

So as we can see in the Bible faith or belief alone is not enough, more is needed and when someone says different then they are in fact ignoring the Bible, and to ignore or dismiss and twist parts of the Bible is how Satan's religion's deceive people who do not know any better.

Is JW Baptism scriptural?  By all means!

Sister T

P.S. I didn't mean to say John Baptized ones for repentance against the law given to Moses, I meant to say that John Baptized ones for repentance regarding the law that was given to Moses.  

Jehovah`s Witness

Sister T