Jehovah`s Witness/ego eimi follow up 4

QUESTION: Hi brenton.

I see what your implying that ' a god ' can be used but that dosent mean God cant be used either, nearly every translation reads God not a god.

also context is key, consider john chapter 5 for instance,  it says the jews wanted to kill him because he was calling God his own father claiming equality with God.

also when jesus quoted psalm 82 which calls the men gods its refering to mere men who were appointed to lead. Jesus on the other hand made mankind john 1 VERSE 3 and sustains the universe they live in hebrews 1 verse1-3.

ANSWER: Hi Daniel thank you for asking these next questions.  I am enjoying this as it is making me do a lot of research and I am learning a lot.   

First may I ask, please.  that when you mention a text that you please give me the full text to find.  That will  saves me precious time  having to read a lot of material.  Perhaps you could also tell me what Bible version you are using.

Secondly you said  …. “I see what your implying that ' a god ' can be used but that dosent mean God cant be used either, nearly every translation reads God not a god. ”....   Yes most translations do use  “God”.   The question is, are they correct in doing so.  I will argue that the reason that the do, is  due to their  pre conceived “THEOLOGICAL” ideas,  and not good translation  practice.  Translation is not just about taking a word from one language and rendering it into another.  As you, yourself,  point out context should be considered.    The context of  John 10:33 including the  grammar,  and,  the answer that Jesus gave,  shows that “God” is not the correct English rendering.  Both the gramma  and context show that the English rendering should be “ a god”.   Context IS important. If the translators are Trinitarian, by  closely following  the context and the grammar at this verse, they are going against their theology.

You next ask me to consider the context of John and point to John 5:18 “Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.”  (KJV)  

There are two reasons why they wanted to stone Jesus  1) According to them Jesus broke the Sabbath [Which he did not ] and,  2) Jesus said God was his Father i.e. he was the Son of God.

In considering the context,  ask yourself  - Did Jesus say he was equal to God?   Or,    was it the Jews that thought he was saying that.   If that is what Jesus meant, did he agree with them?   Or,  did he reject the idea.  Lets look at the context and see what he said   in answer to them in Vs. 19

“Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself , but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.”

By this, Jesus showed the  unbelieving Jews that  they were mistaken, and,  that he was not equal to God and therefore could not act on his own initiative. If he had equality with the Father, why coild he not do things on his own initiative becse he would know that  would be in harmony with the Father. Instead he make the clear point that he does nothing without aproval from the Father. That shows a superior, and subordinate relationship. Can we imagine someone equal to Almighty God saying that he could “do nothing by himself”?

As in John 10:30,33 , it was the Jews that charged Jesus with blasphemy for making himself equal to their God, and,  in both cases Jesus refutes the charge.   

I fully agree with what you say here …. “ also when jesus quoted psalm 82 which calls the men gods its refering to mere men who were appointed to lead. ”.... That is exactly the point.  There are God appointed “gods”.  Does Jesus full into that category?   You suggest he is not by …. “Jesus on the other hand made mankind john 1 VERSE 3 and sustains the universe they live in hebrews 1 verse1-3.”

Ok lets look at those verses.  Please take note of the underlined words

John 1:3  “all things were made by him, and without him was not anything made that was made.” (KJV)

The Greek word rendered by ia  “a primary preposition denoting the channel of an act;”  (Strongs Greek Word number 1223 ).   That  tells us that Jesus was the agent that God used in creation.  God was the originator of the acts of creation and Jesus was the agent or channel that God used to have the creation done.  In Proverbs 22:30 where Jesus is spoken of as the personified wisdom, we are told that he was Gods master worker.

The next word without is rendered from a Greek word that means “ at a space, i.e. separately or apart from”  (Strongs Greek Word number 5565 ).  This is telling  us that, apart from Jesus, God  had everything else made  through the agency of his master worker.  It is not telling us that Jesus is the one that originates the creation.  Just the same as if you decide to build a new house, you originate the idea and then you get an agent, a builder to do the work .  When the house is finished, both you and the builder can rightly say that each of you built the house.   The NWT renders that verse this way to correctly reflect the original word meanings   … “All things came into existence through him, and apart from him not even one thing came into existence. What has come into existence”

What about Hebrews 1:3 , does that that tell us that Jesus is equal to God.  Here, we are being told that Jesus was appointed the heir of Gods “things” and given power over them, not because he was equal to God, but   because of his dying for the sins of mankind.  This is verified by other words Paul wrote as recorded at  Philippians 2:8,9 “And …  he humbled himself and became obedient unto death, ….. 9  Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name which is above every name”  Lets look at context, and again, please notice the words underlined .

Hebrews 1:2,3    “2  but in these last days he has spoken to us by a Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world. 3  He reflects the glory of God and bears the very stamp of his nature, upholding the universe by his word of power. When he had made purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high,”  (RSV)

In verse 2 we are told that the SON  had been appointed .  This Greek word has the basic meaning of  “to set, put, place,”  (Theyers Greek Lexicon)  The word appointed shows us that the son is not equal to God.  God has the power to do the appointing. .. set Jesus as the heir.    What was the Son (Jesus) appointed to.  We are told he was appointed as an heir.   Ask yourself  what  an heir?
It is one who receives something form someone else.  What did Jesus receive from God?   “all things” ,  If Jesus was equal to God how is it that he had to receive   “all things”.  It could only be that someone greater that the Son had the power to give it to him
The word  through in Vs 2 is the same word that is used by John that the KJV renders as “by showing that the Son (whom God appointed) and again tells us that Jesus is Gods agent.

Moving o to verse 3.  First we are told that Jesus “reflects ”.  
The KJV says “brightness”   
The 1901 ASV says “effulgence”  (many others use the same word)
The BBE says “ outshining”
The ESV says  “radiance”
The NWT says “reflection”
So there are many variations to the way translators have rendered  “ἀπαύγασμα “

I had to look up what  Effulgence means, and an internet dictionary says  “ is brightness taken to the extreme. You may be dazzled by it, stunned by it, or even overcome by it. Usually used to refer to the sun or some other mega-star, effulgence can also be used more figuratively.”

Another one says “A brilliant radiance. …. the quality of being bright and sending out rays of light”

What does the Greek word “ἀπαύγασμα “ mean.    Strongs tells me it is  a compound word “ of 575 and 826; an off-flash,”

So what does word number 575 mean  Stongs says “575. απο apo apo’; a primary particle; "off," i.e. away (from something near), in various senses (of place, time, or relation; literal or figurative): —  (X here-)after, ago, at, because of, before, by (the space of), for(-th), from, in, (out) of, off, (up-)on(-ce), since, with. In composition (as a prefix) it usually denotes separation, departure, cessation, completion, reversal, etc.”

The last part is interesting  “ (as a prefix) it usually denotes separation, departure, cessation, completion, reversal, etc.”   

The Greek word  “826”  according to Strongs is “826. αυγαζω from 827; to beam forth (figuratively): —  shine.”

Literaly then  “ἀπαύγασμα “ means , “beaming forth from.”  

What is Jesus the “effulgence” or “radience” of “ ???
We are told then that Jesus is the reflection, or brightness not of God, but, of Gods glory.

The next part of that text is interesting.  In the RSV it says “ bears the very stamp”
The KJV says “the express image”
The 1901 ASV says  “the very image”
The BBE says “the true image”
The Diaglot says “an exact impress”
The ESV says “the exact imprint”
The NWT says  “exact representation “

All those different renderings give an idea of the Greek word used here, which is “χαρακτηρ” = character.   Strongs says  … “from the same as 5482; a graver (the tool or the person), i.e. (by implication) engraving (["character"], the figure stamped, i.e. an exact copy or [figuratively] representation): —  express image.”

Now here we are told that Jesus is a copy  - image – representation of  God.  If you look in the mirror you see a reflection  (“ἀπαύγασμα “) or image (“χαρακτηρ”) of yourself, but it is not you.  Our children can be a  reflection   or image of us.  Have you ever heard someone say “ that child is the spitting image of his father”.   That sasy that the child reflects the looks and qualities of his father but the child is not the father – they are not equal.

Now I last part of that text, does it show that Jesus “sustains the universe” ?

Of the 28 of Bibles I looked at I  found the following to use “universe”  ESV; GNB, RSV WEY, and Williams All the rest basically said “all things” or slight variation  So what does the Greek Text say?   The word used is the plural form of  “ πᾶς  “ = pas which means all.  Because it is in the plural form “ πάντα “ it simply means “all things” and,  it is the context that determines what the “all things” actually  are.  There is nothing in that particular passage that tells us just what the “all things” are.  However there are other passages that do shed light on that.

Neither John 1:3 nor  Hebrews 1:3 are telling us that Jesus is equal to the Father.  They tell us that God is superior to Jesus in all respects.  It was Gods choice to  used Jesus  as his master worker in creating the heaven and the earth, and that because of his obedience to his Father, Jesus was appointed as Gods heir over “all  things”.  With that comes the responsibility of exercising power (or authority) of what His God and Father has given him

QUESTION: Hi brenton.

Thanks for reply brenton.

Brenton I cant see your reasoning is being loyal to sound bible exegesis.

The jews wanted to stone jesus in john 5 because he was making himself equal with God by calling God his OWN father!

You quoted a scripture from john chapter 5 to try and prove jesus isnt equal with his father however look at john 5:23 and please read it in greek, jesus didnt correct the jews he didnt say "hold on guys im not saying im equal with God", but what he did say to the same ones trying to kill him for making himself equal with his father is ,Honour me JUST AS you Honour the FATHER". The greek word used here is kathos for just as.

also we see this honour that jesus spoke of being fulfilled in revelation 5:13 not only honour but also GLORY.

This is clear that jesus is equal with his father they are two seperate persons but echad (one).
One in nature.

Hello Daniel,

Perhaps you could explain more clearly, please, why my “ reasoning is[not]  being loyal to sound bible exegesis “   Where have I not been careful in my examinations?

For any readers that do not know what  exegesis means  ... “critical explanation or interpretation of a text, especially of scripture.”

I have been very carefully examining different texts and word meanings to arrive at a conclusion.

This time I will look at the texts you refer to and examine them carefully  

John 5:23 tells us to honour Jesus  just as we honour the father.   There is nothing unusual in that.  The custom of those days as it is today,  son of a king was to be honoured as the king. That does not make the son the same as the king.   How does one honour another person?  By showing them the  due respect for the postilion they hold.   In the case of Jesus and his father by obeying.

The Greek word for honour used here is “ timao”  with the following meanings

“to prize, i.e. fix a valuation upon; by implication, to revere: —  honour, value.”  Stromgd word number 5091

Thayers Geeek lexicon gives us the following

1  to estimate, to fix the value; middle to fix the value of something belonging to oneself

to honor (so uniformly A. V.), to have in honor, to revere, venerate

The same word used in John rendered honor is used of other men, our parents,  widows and such things as material possessions.  Here are it occurrences in the NT where we can see how “ timao” (honour) is used

Mt 15:4  For God commanded, saying, Honour <5091> thy father and mother: and, He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death.

Mt 15:6  And honour <5091> not his father or his mother, he shall be free. Thus have ye made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition.

Mt 15:8  This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth <5091> me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.

Mt 19:19  Honour <5091> thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Mt 27:9  Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremy the prophet, saying, And they took the thirty pieces of silver, the price of him that was valued <5091>, whom they of the children of Israel did value <5091>;

Mr 7:6  He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth <5091> me with their lips, but their heart is far from me.

Mr 7:10  For Moses said, Honour <5091> thy father and thy mother; and, Whoso curseth father or mother, let him die the death:

Mr 10:19  Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour <5091> thy father and mother.

Lu 18:20  Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honour <5091> thy father and thy mother.

Joh 5:23  That all men should honour <5091> the Son, even as they honour <5091> the Father. He that honoureth <5091> not the Son honoureth <5091> not the Father which hath sent him.

Joh 8:49  Jesus answered, I have not a devil; but I honour <5091> my Father, and ye do dishonour me.

Joh 12:26  If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will <5091> my Father honour <5091>.

Ac 28:10  Who also honoured us with many honours <5091>; and when we departed, they laded us with such things as were necessary.

Eph 6:2  Honour <5091> thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise;)

1Ti 5:3  Honour <5091> widows that are widows indeed.

1Pe 2:17  Honour <5091> all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour <5091> the king.

Yes in Revelation 5:13 Jesus receives glory.  May I ask,How does that show that are equal?  Going back to the idea of a prince and a king.    When a prince is used by the king for a very important assignment, as a representative of the  King, the prince would be exalted because of his obedience to his father the king and would receive the same honour and glory as the king.    So hat does that the Greek word “doxa” (honour Strongs word number 1391) mean

Thaeyrs Greek Lexicon gives us the following

1. properly:; of the sun, moon, stars,  used of the heavenly brightness

2. magnificence, excellence, preeminence, dignity, grace:  i. e. their resources, wealth, the magnificence and greatness of their cities, their fertile lands, their thronging population..  used of royal state,

3. majesty;
a. that which belongs to God; and a. the kingly majesty which belongs to him as the supreme ruler;
b. majesty which belongs to Christ; and  the kingly majesty of the Messiah, to which belongs his kingly state, the splendor of His external appearance, 

4. a most glorious condition, most exalted state;
a. of that condition with God the Father in heaven to which Christ was raised after he had achieved his work on earth
b. "the glorious condition of blessedness into which it is appointed and promised that true Christians shall enter … which condition begins to be enjoyed even now through the devout contemplation of the divine majesty of Christ, and its influence upon those who contemplate it,

When Jesus was on earth he said that glory was not his but Gods and that God gave him glory and Jesus was able to give glory to his followers

John8:50  And I seek not mine own glory <1391>: there is one that seeketh and judgeth.

John 8:54  Jesus answered, If I honour <1392> myself, my honour <1391> is nothing: it is my Father that honoureth <1392> me; of whom ye say, that he is your God:

John 17:22  And the glory <1391> which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:

John 17:24  Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory <1391>, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world.

So again there is nothing in those verses that tell us that Jesus is an equal partner with his father  as God.  There is a need to examine ALL that is written and not just a few verses.

Yes they are two separate persons, on that we agree. But are they  equal in knowledge, power, time of existence, or . one in nature?  I know of no where in the Bible that tells us that Jesus and God share nature exclusively to themselves.   There is an old argument that I have heard many times...

“ The son of dog is dog. The son of man is man. The son of God is God. “   This is supposed to tell us that Jesus and God have the same nature and thus proving they are one. .

I see a couple of problems with this

First to make sense in English the above should read “ The son of dog is a dog. The son of man is a man. The son of god is a god.“    Why does  the word god all of sudden  have a capital “G”.   The son of a dog belongs to a group called dog. The son of a man belongs to the group called man and the son of god belongs to a group called god.

Second ,the word god is a title.  It basically means a “mighty one” or a “strong one”   The son of a “strong man” is not necessary strong.

Thirdly, The word god, as a title, is equal to the word king or president. It describes a positions that some one hold.  When speaking generally the word god, king and president do not have the first letter capitalized.  We capitalize the first letter when referring to a specific God, King or President. The son of a king may or may not be a king one day. To be a king the father must either dies or appoint the son to that position.  In our society is is extremely rare that the son of a president become a president

And fourthly, the  problem is, just what is the nature of God?  The Bible tells us what Gods nature is and that  is,  “God is a Spirit”  (John 4:24 )   There are many spirit creatures that are called “sons of God”  

<Job 1:6</b> “Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them.”

Job 38:7 “When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?”

Humans that obey the words of Jesus  are called sons of God Galations 3:6 “for in Christ Jesus you are all sons of God, through faith.”  (the KJV   renders   huios = sons as  “children of God”)

Perhaps you mean that Jesus as a “divine nature”. And that God has the same “divine nature” which sets them apart from the rest of creation.    The term “divine nature” appears only once in most  Bibles, twice in some, and up to three times in at least one that I have.  

Acts 17:29  Being God’s offspring, then, we shouldn’t think that the divine nature is like gold or silver or stone, an image fashioned by human art and imagination.  (Holman Christian)

29  Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man’s device. (KJV)

The Greek word here is “theios”  (Stongs word number 2304) it is used twice  in the NT.  The KJV renders it once as Godhead and  as divine – 2 Peter 1:4

Another place where “divine nature appears in some Bibles is at

Romans 1:20    “From the creation of the world His invisible attributes, that is, His eternal power and divine nature , have been clearly seen, being understood through what He has made. As a result, people are without excuse.”   (Holman Christian Bible , GNB also uses divine nature )

20  For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead ; so that they are without excuse: (KJV)

The Greek word here is “theiotes”  (Stongs word number 2305) this is the only time it appears in the NT

The only place where most Bibles have the term “divine nature” is at 2 Peter 1:4 .  It is a combination  “theios” (mentioned above) and “phusis” (Srongs word number 5449) and means “growth (by germination or expansion), i.e. (by implication) natural production (lineal descent); by extension, a genus or sort; figuratively, native disposition, constitution or usuage: —  ([man-])kind, nature([-al]).”

The usage of this combination of words is most interesting as we are told that the ones having “divine nature” included humans

2Pe 1:4  Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature , having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.”

There is no texts that tell us that Jesus and the Father are united into a special relationship that is to be refereed to as God.

PS.  I will be away for about a week or so from this forum.

Jehovah`s Witness

Brenton Hepburn

I AM one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, and I am always learning. I am NOT an expert in the full sense of the word but I can answer questions on the reliability of the NWT - the so called mind control problems-so called prophecies - how being a JW affects the individual and relatives and general practices and history of Jehovah’s Witnesses. >>WARNING<< Please be aware that there are people here who ARE NOT practicing JWs. By all means ask these ones questions. Depending on the question you will get an honest answer, but, generally the answer you get, will mislead you as to what we believe, often because, they do not give ALL the relevant details. These ones will, have an agenda against JWs., and will at times give answers that are not correct in regard to JW teachings and practices. If you are after a answer from one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, please read some of the answers that the various experts have published before choosing someone. If you want to ask one of the NON JWs a question, that is fine, BUT if you want a balancing view after asking one of the NON JWs, ask a JW the same question. PLEASE ALSO NOTE: There(have been)and are, some "experts" here who are NOT always the most courteous and polite, at times are actually quite rude, that applies to both JW's and non JW's and their answers may offend, especially when they get personal and attack the character of the person and not the message. Unfortunately some here that have done that. So it IS IMPORTANT to chose an "expert" that YOU feel will best suit YOU by reading some of their past answers . . . . .

I have been a publisher since 1964. When I first went on the internet I found a lot of negative information dealing with Jehovah’s Witnesses covering prophecy, mind control and what many said was a very bad translation of the Bible known as the NWT. It shook my faith. After may hours researching these topics I could see why some felt that way, but, I was also able to explain why there were these misleading views. I can now set matters straight for anyone that has negative information about Jehovah’s Witness to show them that such information is at best misleading and at worst dangerous lies.

I have been a student of the Bible for many years, am trying to teach myself Biblical Greek. Was a public tax accountant for many years untill SEP 2009 when I gave it up due to health problems.