Jehovah`s Witness/JW baptism

Question
Hi DW

A few times this has been discussed recently I wanted your take on the subject please, I'm mainly talking about the whole idea of the questions and being baptized into an organization. Are these things really scriptural?

Thank you in advance

Answer
Hi mate thanks for writing

Indeed it is scriptural.

Here's a scripture that Jesus himself said on this subject

Matt 28:

19 "Go, therefore, and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit"

Here's some things we know about this verse.

1)It is a requirement to make disciples

2)It is a requirement to baptize them

3)It is a requirement to do so in the name of the father son and holy spirit.

So what we must understand is that it's not just a case of what we need to do before we get baptized but what we need to do to baptize others. Reason being is that someone who get's baptized automatically is required to make disciples .So we must look at both these aspects to understand this.

So let's look at this from the aspect of a newly baptized person.

How does a newly baptized person make disciples. They teach people about God and Christ. This requires them learning about God and Christ in the first place they cannot make disciples unless they learn about God and Christ so are in the position to teach others and make sure they are ready to make disciples themselves. Remember Jesus laid the responsibility on his disciples for this task right from the beginning.

John 4

"Jesus was making and baptizing more disciples than John— 2 although Jesus himself did no baptizing but his disciples did"

So today this responsibility is ours it would be negligent not to take that responsibility seriously.So how do we know the correct way to do this and what we need to learn. We can only follow biblical pattern on baptism.

So let's look at baptism

Acts

1 I composed about all the things Jesus started to do and to teach 2  until the day that he was taken up, after he had given instructions through holy spirit to the apostles he had chosen.

Instructions like this

John 15:

6 "I appointed you to go and keep bearing fruit and that your fruit should remain, so that no matter what you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you"

Go bear fruit by petitioning the father through me. Remember this point!

3" After he had suffered, he showed himself alive to them by many convincing proofs. He was seen by them throughout 40 days, and he was speaking about the Kingdom of God."

Jesus himself AFTER his resurrection convinced and proved to his disciples about the KINGDOM of god . Remember this point!

4"While he was meeting with them, he ordered them: “Do not leave Jerusalem, but keep waiting for what the Father has promised, about which you heard from me; 5 for John, indeed, baptized with water, but you will be baptized with holy spirit not many days after this"

It was based on the disciples knowing and understanding this that they could undergo a christian baptism. Which involves holy spirit

So, based on what we've seen we know you can only be baptized as a christian by understanding about the Father, Jesus the Kingdom and holy spirit.So far this is what we have.

Here's some other things someone would need to understand before baptism or to be able baptize others.

Remember this is a baptism text

Acts 8:

26" However, Jehovah’s angel spoke to Philip, saying: “Get up and go to the south to the road that runs down from Jerusalem to Gaz′a."

Before we can even make disciples ourselves ,we have to recognize Jehovah's organization. Angels are a big part of that here we see angel - human this is Jehovah's organized way of doing things.We also have to be willing to directed. What else

27 With that he got up and went, and look! an E·thi·o′pi·an eunuch, .........“Go over and approach this chariot.” 30 Philip ran alongside and heard him reading aloud Isaiah the prophet, and he said: "Do you actually know what you are reading?"

We have to question them to know whether they understand!!

31 He said: “Really, how could I ever do so unless someone guided me?”

We have to recognize we need to be taught

34 The eunuch then said to Philip: “I beg you, about whom does the prophet say this? About himself or about some other man?”

We have to ask questions

35 Philip began to speak, and starting with this scripture, he declared to him the good news about Jesus.

We have to be given answers

Then and only then can we get baptized.

36 Now as they were going along the road, they came to a body of water, and the eunuch said: “Look! Here is water; what prevents me from getting baptized?” 37 —— 38 With that he commanded the chariot to halt, and both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water, and he baptized him"

This is what we have based on what we've seen we know you can only be baptized as a christian by understanding about the Father, Jesus the Kingdom, holy spirit, Jehovah's organization, have to be willing to be directed, we have to question them to know whether they understand, We have to recognize we need to be taught, we have to ask questions and we have to be given answers.

All this is being baptized in the "name" of or in "recognition" of the father the son and the holy spirit". Who they are there roles in the kingdom and how they do things

We've seen all these points, we must know before we can baptize others or be baptized.

So that's why the baptism questions before hand so we can find as did Philip "Do you understand?"

The two questions before baptism are this

1)On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will??

You get baptized in symbol of repentance on the basis of the sacrifice of the Christ. I don't think anyone will even argue against this point. If they do come back and see me

2)Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spirit-directed organization??

This is in recognition of the father the son and the holy spirit. Jehovah's(Father) organization lead by Jesus Christ(son) and directed by (holy spirit)

Now here's a point for you to answer. Why does the bible record the angels direction like this?? Really think about this

29 "So the spirit said to Philip: “Go over and approach this chariot"

So the whole way we baptize follows bible pattern. Christendom cannot and will never grasp this. Here's some question for Christendom.

Who is the Father?

Who is the Son?

What is the name of the Holy Spirit?

Why do you claim that

1 cor 8:

6 should read like this " there is actually to us one God, the trinity being"??

Now let them use the scriptures to show that they baptize correctly

Follow up if you need

Take care

http://www.jw.org/en/  

Jehovah`s Witness

Bro DW