Jehovah`s Witness/Blasphemy

Question
QUESTION: The question is from John 10:30-33. How in the world can a Jehovah Witness read this and call Jesus "a god" Verse 38 plainly says that Jesus and the Father are one or as NWT says "In Union"
Verse 30 in NWT says that Jesus was one with the Father but your other verses there say in 31033 that they were going to stone Jesus because He made Himself "a god"
Blasphemy is taking the place of God. For being God Himself. In verses 34-37 Jesus called those that were going to stone Him "gods"  How in the world can Jesus called the stoners gods and He be "a god"  That is absurd! Jesus being God's Son is not to be on the same level as those stoners.

ANSWER: Hi Timothy; good to hear from you again.

This question is more about the meaning of words and how they are used than it is about spiritual matters, although I can see and appreciate your concern.

Some words describe qualities than can be applied to only certain individuals. For example, someone who is holy would include Jehovah, Jesus, the angels, and even some humans as described in the Bible.

Other beings cannot be so described, and these would include Satan, his demons, and wicked humans.

Now the word “God” or “god” describes any powerful being, and does include Jehovah, Jesus, angels, Satan, demons, and some humans regardless of whether they are particularly good or bad.
SIDE NOTE: Actually Jesus did not call those who wanted to stone him gods; his words to them were “Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods? ” — John 10:34 , KJV.

Here Jesus was quoting from Psalm 82:6; see also verse 1 . These were called gods because they were judges, although evil, who had a measure of power.
Interesting, even Satan the Devil is called “the god of this world” in 2 Corinthians 4:4 .

Now back to your question, why is Jesus called a god. For the simple reason that although he is a very powerful being, and thus deserving of the title “god” for that reason, he is not the one and only “God Almighty.” Jehovah his Father bears that title, as we read in Exodus 6:3 of the KJV — “And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them.”

In prayer to his Father Jehovah, Jesus clearly stated that his Father is “the only true God” and by making use of the conjunction “and” made a clear distinction between himself and “the only true God.” (John 17:3 )

So when Jesus is called “a god” that is not downplaying his role; rather by doing so we are not placing Jesus into the role occupied solely by Jehovah, and Jesus would not want that role. “He always had the nature of God, but he did not think that by force he should try to become equal with God.” (Philippians 2:6 , Today’s English Version.)

Last of all, Jesus did indeed state in John 10:30 that “I and my Father are one.” However, even Trinitarians admit that the Father and Son are two different persons, and that the Son is not the Father, so this statement is clear that by being one they were working together for a common purpose. Jesus always put his Father’s will ahead of his own. (Luke 22:42 )

Hope this was helpful …

Abdijah

QUESTION: Why then does the Greek Boble say GOD for Jesus and not  a god. There is no other Bible but ther NWT that uses "a god" Every version uses GOD but The Corrupt NWT!  

Look at The Greek Bible and your will read "GOD"

John 17:3 includes Jesus as The Only True God using AND. There is no period. There verse does not use any other word but AND. And means that Jesus included along with The Father.
Your interpretation is not the correct one. The one who created The World in Genesis 1 was JESUS. What does verse one say. In The Beginning "GOD" created the Heavens and The Earth.
Jesus is the Creator and HE is called "God"

Answer
Timothy, it appears you do not wish to discuss but to argue. I am here to present the facts whether others wish to accept them or not. Your falsely calling the NWT “corrupt” simply informs me that you disagree with its rendering but have no tangible reason for doing so, only your beliefs.

Aside from that, your allegations are not true. I am making this public because others may be interested.

Most translations say “God” in John 10:33 ; C. C. Torrey’s translation lowercases the word as “god,” while the interlinear reading of The Emphatic Diaglott says “a god.” Support for the rendering “a god” is found principally in Jesus’ own answer, in which he quoted from Psalm 82:1-7 . As can be seen, this text did not refer to persons as being called “God,” but “gods” and “sons of the Most High.”

According to the context, those whom Jehovah called “gods” and “sons of the Most High” in this psalm were Israelite judges who had been practicing injustice, requiring that Jehovah himself now judge ‘in the middle of such gods.’ (Psalm 82:1-6, 8 ) Since Jehovah applied these terms to those men, Jesus was certainly guilty of no blasphemy in saying, “I am God’s Son.” — John 10:36 Whereas the works of those judicial “gods” belied their being “sons of the Most High,” Jesus’ works consistently proved him to be in union, in harmonious accord and relationship, with his Father. — John 10:34-38 .

The Greek text reads:

ἀπεκρίθησαν αὐτῷ οἱ Ἰουδαῖοι περὶ καλοῦ ἔργου οὐ λιθάζομέν σε ἀλλὰ περὶ βλασφημίας καὶ ὅτι σὺ ἄνθρωπος ὢν ποιεῖς σεαυτὸν θεόν

So you are correct; it does not say in Greek “a god” but just “god.” You may be unaware that the Koine Greek language in which the Bible was written did not have indefinite articles, “a” and “an.” The absence of the definite article “the” thus allows for the inclusion of “a” or “an.”

How can anyone read John 17:3 and claim that this includes Jesus as “the only true God”? NOTE:

“And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.” — John 17:3 , KJV. Please explain how that simple sentence can possibly include Jesus as “the only true God.” It says we must come to know “the only true God” and the one that “the only true God” sent, Jesus Christ. (See also John 3:16 .)

As far as Genesis 1:1 goes, God is definitely the creator. According to Genesis 2:4 in the Hebrew language, the creator is not Jesus but Jehovah. (יהוה) Jehovah created everything except Jesus through Jesus as his Master Worker. It was the prehumen Jesus to whom Jehovah was speaking when he said “Let us make man in our image” — Genesis 1:26 .

Jehovah`s Witness

Abdijah