Jehovah`s Witness/One or many gods

Hello. Im in a debate with an adventist. He claims theres only one God and that angels and spirits are not gods.

I saw him Psalm 82. He continued the usual Christendom's apology saying this refers to human judges, but I told him even if thats true, it is an analogy with the heavenly world of gods and sons of the Highest.

But I found the following page, which claims there are 28 verses that teach there is only one god!

I find it ridiculous(not these verses, as Derrick would like to accuse me) that angels are not gods and that there is no other god beside Jehovah. Isnt Satan called a god too?

Can you give your thoughts on these verses that supposedly teach theres only one God?

Hi Christaras

Hope you are well.

No one can deny that God means "mighty one" if your mighty then you are a god as that is what it means. To claim that men are mightier than angels is ridiculous the bible clearly debunks that claim.Not that we even need it too but it does nevertheless.

Hebrews 2:

9 "But we do see Jesus, who was made a little lower than angels"

This is a quote from Psalms 8: 5 which says this.In different bible translations

NJB: Yet you have made him little less than a god

NIV: You made him a little lower than the heavenly beings

Tanakh, The Holy Scriptures: You have made him little less than divine"

The Hebrew word is Elohim which means (a god)

Angels are clearly mighty and clearly gods no question.

The verses you present must be read in context. What I mean by that is the subject must be considered. What we musn't do is cram random teachings in a place when the bible isn't teaching that in that particular passage.

When you consider that the Hebrew scriptures where written mainly for the Israelites and the Greek scriptures where written mainly for the Israel of God then the apostle Paul helps us to shed some light on the subject.

1 Cor 8:

4"we know that an idol is nothing in the world and that there is no God but one. 5 For even though there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth, just as there are many “gods” and many “lords,” 6 there is actually TO US one God, the Father"

Now the subject is becoming clearer. Some people view money as their God, but "there is actually TO US one God, the Father"

Satan is the God of the system but "there is actually TO US one God, the Father"

Some people in Israelite times worshipped Baal but the Israelites (Deut 4:35) will know that Jehovah is the true God; there is no other besides him"

Some people worshipped false gods but Moses said (Deut 6:4) "Listen, O Israel: Jehovah our God is one Jehovah"

Notice context. Here's another great example of context

Deut 32:

37 "Then he will say, ‘Where are their gods,
The rock in whom they sought refuge,
38 Who used to eat the fat of their sacrifices,
To drink the wine of their drink offerings?
Let them rise up and help you.
Let them become your place of refuge.
39 See now that I—I am he,
And there are no gods apart from me.
I put to death, and I make alive.
I wound, and I will heal,
And no one can rescue from my hand"

Jehovah is the almighty.

Jehovah has NO "mighty ones" Jehovah calls no one his God and to us there is one God.

So I've just covered three verses you presented and we see the importance of context. None of these verses are saying there are no other gods that isn't even the subject of the verses. I hope this helps. Of course if you want me to tackle all the verses individually or any you are stuck with please let me know.

Follow up if you need

Take Care  

Jehovah`s Witness

Bro DW

I have many years of experience serving Jehovah . I have known Jehovah a long time and I have known his organization . I have been privileged to see great progress not only in my own personal relationship with my God and Father but within his organization. I am an avid reader of the bible and have been gifted by my Father with the indescribable privilege of being allowed to understand his own word.

The truth is all about scripture and logic. The two go hand in hand . There is not one bible verse that cannot be understood within the realms of human reasoning. Not one!! Why would it?? The bible is God's message to his creation . His creation who he made to understand things in a specific way. God is not stupid or unwise as to leave as a message then allow us to guess what it means or who he is. 1 Tim 2:3This is fine and acceptable in the sight of our Savior, God, 4whose will is that all sorts of people should be saved and come to an accurate knowledge of truth" Notice the expression "accurate knowledge".

The bible leaves signs of true christianity there are many. Jehovah's witnesses meet every single sign. One sign is the removal of false teachings that permeated the world soon after the apostles died. Jesus foretold this and he also foretold of the restoration of pure worship in the period known as the last days. The days we are currently living in. Jesus was a master of using illustrations he used an illustration to highlight this point Matt 13: "The Kingdom of the heavens may be likened to a man who sowed fine seed in his field. 25While men were sleeping, his enemy came and oversowed weeds in among the wheat and left. 26When the stalk sprouted and produced fruit, then the weeds also appeared. 27So the slaves of the master of the house came and said to him, ‘Master, did you not sow fine seed in your field? How, then, does it have weeds?’ 28He said to them, ‘An enemy, a man, did this.’ The slaves said to him, ‘Do you want us, then, to go out and collect them?’ 29He said, ‘No, for fear that while collecting the weeds, you uproot the wheat with them. 30Let both grow together until the harvest, and in the harvest season, I will tell the reapers: First collect the weeds and bind them in bundles to burn them up; then gather the wheat into my storehouse" Why did he speak in illustrations? Matt 13:10So the disciples came and said to him: “Why do you speak to them by the use of illustrations?” 11In reply he said: “To you it is granted to understand the sacred secrets of the Kingdom of the heavens, but to them it is not granted" The kingdom of the heavens is full of sacred secrets that Jesus reveals only to his followers. This privilege is open to all who are really willing to submit to God and his Christ in action not just in words. These are the ones God is looking for. Are you really one?? If so I encourage you to let Jehovah's witnesses show you what the Bible really teaches.

False religion is disgusting to God and to his true worshippers it is likened in the Bible to a harlot Rev 17:"I will show you the judgment upon the great harlot who sits on many waters, 2with whom the kings of the earth committed fornication, whereas those who inhabit the earth were made drunk with the wine of her fornication" Whereas the bride of Christ is likened to a virgin Rev 14: 4"These are the ones who did not defile themselves with women; in fact, they are virgins" These are both used as spiritual terms here and show the importance of pure and clean worship for God's people.