Jehovah`s Witness/Hell

Question
Hello Sister T!

I can't find anything on an "eternal burning hell".   There's a "hell" in the KJV, but should I believe that a loving God would torture people (his creation) in an eternal place of torment without let-up?  Something is not right here.

Thanks!
An Avid Reader

Answer
Hello,

The Bible helps us to see very clear answers on that question.  It's good that you notice that a loving God would not torture people who he created in eternal burning hell.  

Adam passed sin on to us (Romans 5:12 KJV  "Wherefore , as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned")  This was done before any other humans were born on the earth.  When people say that God is that unjust and cruel and that he would punish us for all eternity in hellfire because of sin that was passed down to us is not true.  And yes, I know that people believe that the ones who turn to Jesus and repent are forgiven and therefore are said to go to heaven.  But just think of the entire picture here.

If you had a child that was born with some type of defect or deformity, would  a caring and loving parent torture that child because of the defect that they had no control of getting?  No matter how much we do good we can never be without sin right now.  We are born in sin (Ecc 7:20 KJV "For there is not a just man upon earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not."  and 1 John 1:8 KJV  "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.")

The Bible helps us to see that God is loving and merciful and just, not unjust!  (Psalms 116:5 KJV "Gracious is the LORD, and righteous; yea, our God is merciful")

We were created in God's image, (Gen. 1:26) and we have a sense of justice, so when someone is tortured, we do not like it.  That's why the thought of burning in hell for eternity is so scary to people.  Do you think God wants to scare people into serving him? So how much more would Jehovah not condone torture and he is perfect and the epitome of righteousness and he doesn't just have love, the Bible says God is Love.  (1 John 4:8 KJV "He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.")

Satan is behind all the lies that are put out against God.  The Bible says Jehovah is love, but Satan says he is cruel and tortures people for all eternity.

Yet, how can one burn for all eternity and be tortured when the Bible says the dead do not know any thing (Ecc 9:5 KJV ".....but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten")

In all the accounts when God has done things or destroyed people, he has always told them what he was going to do beforehand, they were warned.  He told Adam what would happen if he disobeyed, and not one time was there any mention of Adam living forever to burn in eternal hellfire.

Adam was told he would die, if he ate from the tree, not that he would live forever and be tortured.  (Gen. 2:17 KJV "But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die .")

But the Father of the lie (John 8:44) came along and said that they would NOT die, (Gen 3:4: KJV "And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die ")

And we see that lie today in the hellfire teaching, you are tortured forever in hellfire, never dying, "Ye shall not surely die"   But God said the opposite of what Satan teaches, God said they would die.   He told Adam that for his wrong he would return to the dust, (Gen 3:19 KJV "In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken : for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return")  never did he say he would burn in eternal hellfire, no where will you find that in the Bible.

The Bible speaks of everlasting destruction, not everlasting life in eternal hellfire being tortured.  If something is destroyed forever, that means it will never be brought back again, it's everlasting, it's gone forever.  

The Bible says that God cannot lie (Titus 1:2) anyone who says God tortures people in hellfire is also calling him a liar.  Why?  Because God specifically told Adam he would return to the dust, for dust you are, dust you shall return, no mention ever of eternal hellfire.   People who continue to hold on to that blasphemy is calling God a liar!!

And also, if God sent people to burn in hell who is said to be in charge of Hellfire, is it not the Devil?  So in effect people are saying that God sends people to Satan, although Satan is God's  worst enemy.  That God is working with Satan and they have some type of cooperation with one another.   How much sense does that really make?  Not any sense at all!  Why?  Because it's a lie!  

To add to that, God said that Satan and his demons would be destroyed their time is short, (Rev 12:12 KJV "....the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time." and Ezekiel KJV 28:16 ".....therefore I will cast thee as profane out of the mountain of God: and I will destroy thee, O covering cherub")   so who is going to take over for Satan since people are to be in this "eternal" burning hell?  

Reason on this, if hell is eternal, meaning forever and ever and ever, and you can never get out, how is it that the Bible says that Hell will give up the ones in it.  That helps us to see that this eternal burning hell is not eternal!

Rev. 20 13 KJV "...... and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works."

Impossible some say!!!  How is it that hell has delivered up the dead which WERE IN THEM, are we to believe that there is more than one burning eternal hell too?  Dead which were in THEM  

Now we have complete opposites, the Bible says one thing and the burning in eternal hell teaching teaches another completely opposite thing.

A loving father finds out that his little tiny 3 year old daughter has been brutally molested by an evil family member, so bad that she needed surgery and may never be able to have children of her own.  The loving father takes measures to ensure that his child doesn't come near this evil man and the man is put in jail.   The father comforts the child when she screams at night in fear and is there to hold her hand when she's healing from the pain that her tiny body had to endure.   The father is thankful that she endured and is getting better.   Why does the father do all this?  Because he loves his daughter very much.  Now as the daughter gets older, and she's a teenager now, she starts to rebel against her father.   Why he tells her to be in the house by  a certain time and she doesn't listen.  She comes in when she gets good and ready.  Not only that, but she is doing all kinds of things against her father that he told her not to do.   Her father is angry and says, I love you so much, please listen to me.  I do everything in my power to keep you safe!  But since you keep doing wrong to me, I'm going to send you to live with the evil molester who use to hurt you and you will never be able to leave his house, he's out of jail now, so let's go....and he drags his daughter to the evil man's home and chains her in there with this molester who almost cost her, her life.  And as he's walking away from his daughter, he hears her screams for help and her crying for mercy, but he just leaves her there and never returns!   This is how people say God is!!!!  

How would you feel about what that father did?  was it just and fair, is it what she deserved for her disobedience?  Or was it cruel and unjust, mean, hateful and unthinkable?   

Well that father is who people who keep spreading the lie of eternal burning hell paint God out to be.   It is unthinkable on God's part to do such a hideous thing!   Not only does Jehovah love us he sent his son Jesus to die for us because of the great love he has for us.  Then to turn around and just throw us to the Devil because you did wrong a short while, is unthinkable, not only unthinkable, it is an out right lie!!  Don't believe it!!!  God is the opposite of what Satan paints him out to be.  No matter how wrong we do, we won't be tortured in a burning hell forever, we will die if we do wrong, but not tortured in a burning eternal hell.  

Hope that helps

Sister T

JW.org  

Jehovah`s Witness

Sister T