Jehovah`s Witness/Jesus and Sabbath

Question
Hello. I know that you can do your best to find some logical explanations to biblical questions.

Did Jesus planned to challenge the Pharisees by intentionally breaking the Sabbath, or he broke the Sabbath in order to help people who were asking for help?

And what about the strange verse in Matthew 24? Jesus says they should pray so that their exodus wont happen on winter or Sabbath. If Jesus helped the sick on Sabbath why the christians couldnt break the Sabbath in order to leave and save their lives?

Answer
Hi again mate

Hope you are well

These are good questions. This can get quite deep . The sabbath is an interesting subject and like all of the law it was not put in place as just a random rule from God it was a day for rest or a day of relief for God's people and it paralleled something. Here's a scripture.

Ex 31:

16 "The Israelites must keep the Sabbath; they must observe the Sabbath during all their generations. It is a lasting covenant. 17 It is an enduring sign between me and the people of Israel, for in six days Jehovah made the heavens and the earth and on the seventh day he rested and refreshed himself"

So it was a sign to show the fact that God was resting from his creative works.So it was a sign of rest from a specific type of work. However although God was on his rest day from this specific work(and he is still now) he was/is still working to bring relief to mankind(See the parallel?)

Jesus made that clear

John 5:

16 "For this reason the Jews were persecuting Jesus, because he was doing these things during the Sabbath. 17 But he answered them: “My Father has kept working until now, and I keep working"

He told the Jews he was not breaking the Sabbath but what he was doing was totally lawful

Matt 12:

11"If you have one sheep and that sheep falls into a pit on the Sabbath, is there a man among you who will not grab hold of it and lift it out? 12 How much more valuable is a man than a sheep! So it is lawful to do a fine thing on the Sabbath"

The issue wasn't that Jesus was breaking the sabbath it was that the Jews didn't understand the Sabbath or the meaning behind it. They had become so wrapped up in their own traditions of men they could not understand the scriptures( See the parallel?)

Mark 7:

4"There are many other traditions that they have received and cling to"

Jesus had to fulfill the law perfectly then sacrifice his life thus ending the law. Jesus could not break the law.

Matt 5:

17 "Do not think I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I came, not to destroy, but to fulfill"

The pharisees just didn't get it. Just like Christendom today!!

MATT 24

As has been recently discussed every bible verse can be understood logically. Now that doesn't necessarily mean you can understand it immediately. God reveals his sacred secrets to whoever he chooses and whenever he chooses. So if God doesn't want us to know we just cannot know it's impossible. However when he does reveal it you think "oh yeah that makes sense, how did I not see that before?" that's just how it works. So it ALWAYS makes logical sense.

Let's think about this verse logically.

Matt 24:

"20 Keep praying that your flight may not occur in wintertime nor on the Sabbath day; 21 for then there will be great tribulation such as has not occurred since the world’s beginning until now, no, nor will occur again"

Now logically if we had to flee "up into the mountains" the last thing we would want is to flee is in the winter time. That makes sense. Nor flee on the sabbath when we were resting, unprepared and under certain restrictions that made flight difficult. That also makes sense.

Now notice the wording to understand this.

19 Woe to the pregnant women and those nursing a baby in those days!

So Jesus is saying when it occurs there will be people with more burdens than others . Such as children, pregnancy etc etc

However what we do have control over is our personal flight. This next verse is an individual warning that God can help us with.

"20 Keep praying that "YOUR" flight may not occur in wintertime nor on the Sabbath day"

We need to pray that we do not personally leave it treacherous for our leaving , be unprepared and or leave our personal relationship with Jehovah too late. All things of this nature. Basically put we personally need to pray that we leave ourselves in the best possible position to flee. Even those who will have extra burdens can lessen those burdens to some degree.

Simple and logical. Yet again ;-)

This here <<<<<<<<<<If Jesus helped the sick on Sabbath why the christians couldnt break the Sabbath in order to leave and save their lives?>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I'm not sure what this means?

Hope this is helpful and of course you can always follow up if you need

Take Care

http://www.jw.org/en/  

Jehovah`s Witness

Bro DW