Jehovah`s Witness/Observations

First off, I read your expertise, experience, and education, Derrick, and I like that you use the Bible to learn and educate yourself about Biblical Christianity.  That truly is the only place we can learn about God, His nature and what He wants for us in this life and how to be ready for the afterlife.  I was reading your some of your correspondences and came across one with a person calling himself "Super Christaras", his statements were short with absolutely no substance to them and just down right rude. I read your reply back to him, which was full of quotes (that's always good to use so people like me who haven't read previous responses can see what has been said) and scriptures. How can anyone who even claims to love God, who says they are searching the Scriptures, argue with them? I would never pit my logic or understanding against God or His Word; I just believe what He says. The Bible says we are looking thru a glass darkly now...that's mankind on earth (all of us!). But we shall see clearly one day with Him. He shall perfect our understanding then. Derrick, you keep your composure very well with your responses even though you are attacked and called names. How are these people, who are supposedly in the Truth, act this way? If I wasn't a Christian, and was just reading this forum, the going back and forth between you and certain JWs, I would think you had more of a level head and answered with wisdom. Since you have more dealings with them than I, why do they act the way they do? Do you think its conviction? I pray it is and that they come to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ and know what true peace is.

Good evening, Marie.  Its been awhile, and good to hear from you again.  Thank you for writing with the kind words, and for noticing and pointing out that I use the Bible as my Supreme and final authority.  That is quite a different picture than is being painted by the dishonest slanderers here, who are desperately trying to claim that I don't think the Bible is "logical".  Isn't it odd that different people reading the exact SAME posts, can arrive at such different conclusions?  But then again, you are making an observation without a hidden agenda, which is unlike them.  Perhaps that explains the difference in your take on the latest posts, and what they are trying to portray them to be.

You have touched on a number of issues here.  Issues that, may I say it, are simply common sense and "LOGICAL"?  Such as this....

"How can anyone who even claims to love God, who says they are searching the Scriptures, argue with them? I would never pit my logic or understanding against God or His Word; I just believe what He says."

Well put.  In fact, its a "LOGICAL" question.  I am sure you have been reading a lot about "logic" lately.  Funny thing....If you want to get right down to it, I can tie these guys into knots, "logically".  I have before, and intend to do so again.  In fact, I was amused at the latest post of DW, where he as always, built his entire argument on a "straw man" misstating and distorting my position, and then proceeding to attack the position that I do not even hold to.  Not sure what he thinks he is accomplishing there.  But I just want you to know that I will be addressing his latest post on "logic", and I will fully show where it is, well....Illogical.  I haven't really had a chance to this weekend, but give me another day or two.  

But back to your question....Yeah, how can they?  Furthermore, you also asked....."How are these people, who are supposedly in the Truth, act this way?" .  Again, good logical question.  How does a person say they love God, and then do things that God hates?  Like lie?  Maybe those guys have a "logical" answer for that.  Perhaps they can tell us how it is, that they think human logic is somehow on an equal plane with statements from the inspired Word of God?   

But the real reason behind their nastiness, is that they are fearful, and feel threatened.  Rita accurately pointed that out just the other day.  The light of God's Word, exposes the darkness of falsehood....each and every time.  When light is shined on something, those in darkness don't appreciate it.  Have you ever walked into a dark room where someone was sleeping, and flipped the light on?  Did they appreciate it?  No, they likely reacted in a negative way.  But that's okay....The Scripture explicitly said it would be that way.

I also like what you said here...." I read your reply back to him, which was full of quotes (that's always good to use so people like me who haven't read previous responses can see what has been said) and scriptures."

Yeah, that's what is actually at the very heart of this issue.  The biggest contrast between MY way of addressing them, and THEIR way of addressing me, is found in the honesty of it, and the documentation of what was said.  

Here is the pattern that has gone on for years, the pattern that you have noticed, and the pattern that will continue.....When they attack, they INVENT a lie, and claim that "Derrick says".  Derrick then asks to show WHERE this was said.  After dancing around for awhile, they will finally admit..."Well, you didn't actually SAY it, but we're paraphrasing your words" .  I then ask exactly which comment it is that they are "paraphrasing", and they ignore your question.  They NEVER actually provide ANY reference to where you said anything even close to what they claim you "said".  In other words, in LOGICAL and simple language....they are liars.

On the other hand, I think it is quite unchristian to claim someone says something they did not say.  That is why, for every accusation or comment that I address, I prefer to give a REAL quote.  Which SHOULD be easy, if the comment was really made.  

I'm glad you noticed the difference.  Yes, I give quotes.  Its called being honest.  Poor ole DW....If I were him, I would feel so stupid, if all I could do was simply REPEAT over and over the same lie, and each time I was challenged to provide a quote, I simply had to ignore the question.  That's the difference between me and him....He is so desperate, he has lost all sense of shame and integrity in his dealings on this board.  On the other hand, I am merely content to take his comments as he wrote them, break them down "LOGICALLY" and SCRIPTURALLY, and let the chips fall where they may.  

That is why you have seen the barrage of attacks from them.  It always happens, and its to be expected.  It doesn't deter me in the slightest.  In fact, it only strengthens my resolve, and my determination to proclaim the truth from God's Word, here in this forum.    

I said all that, to let you know that I will be addressing DW's comments about "logic", within the next couple of days.

Now, you mentioned the Not-So-Super Christaras.....Yep, he's a strange one.  Let me just go on record right now, before I make a few comments about this character, so that the board will know what is going on behind the scenes.  He wrote to me the other day, a VERY nasty letter, to which I responded to and thoroughly exposed his ILLOGIC for what it is.  All of the excerpts from my post, were from discussions I had with him back earlier this year.  And as the readers noticed, and as you noticed Marie, I merely used his own exact words.  I quoted him, and gave the links to the quotes.  And of course, he did what most dishonest people do after being exposed....Started whining about being "attacked", although as you pointed out, they are the ones doing the attacking.  Funny how a response to their attack, is somehow viewd by them, AS an "attack".  Not very "logical", are they?  

But since the other day, when my response to his childish and immature attack posted, he has been continually writing me nasty and harassing letters, which I am rejecting.  I am now giving my word to the readers of this board, that Christaras will never again, be allowed to spew his hate and his venom through my profile.  Since that is the manner in which he is choosing to write, then he will be rejected.  I will answer any SINCERE question about any doctrine.  I will not allow people under the influence of demons, to use my profile as their sounding board.  

Furthermore, (and I know he's reading this), he is being rejected for a couple of reasons.  I have had to use this manner of dealing with him in the past, as well.  However, after he wrote and apologized and began writing in a more civil tone, I started taking his questions again.  But now that he is back to his old self, I will not have discussion with him.  This is in accordance to Biblical principle.  In fact, I have come across 2 verses today in my reading, that aptly describe Christaras.

Proverbs 29:22-  "An angry man stirreth up strife, and a furious man aboundeth in transgression."

And this one describes his intentions to a tee....

Proverbs 18:2-  "A fool hath no delight in understanding, but that his heart may discover itself."

Christaras is not earnestly seeking Biblical answers.  Rather, as he has written and told me twice now, he wants a "BIBLICAL FIGHT" .  Yes, that was his exact term....a "BIBLICAL FIGHT" .

Now, I like a good Bible DISCUSSION.  I will use the Bible to preach TRUE doctrine, and expose FALSE doctrine.  I will use it to "reprove, rebuke, and exhort".  But I do not care to converse with someone who has so little respect for God's Word, that he wants a "BIBLICAL FIGHT".  

Furthermore, let's talk about why little Christy got mad at me to begin with....Because I asked him to cut back on the amount of questions he was sending.  Christy has an addiction to this site, and it is a means for him to get attention.  I asked him to not sit down and write another long, drawn out question, the very same day that he receives my answer.  I did not tell him to stop writing me....I simply asked him to be considerate of the fact that he is not the only questioner I have, and to stop "Maxing" me out, so that others could write, also.  I merely asked him to put some space between his questions, and make them related to the JW category.  He wanted to discuss every philosophy and subject under the sun, and I simply don't have the time to devote to that, in a form where I'm supposed to be talking about the JW religion specifically.

Well, he went all to pieces, and suddenly....The JW religion was right again, and I am an "apostate".  Forgive me, but I have to put an "LOL" there, myself.  Like that is a "LOGICAL" conclusion to come to.  When he first came here, the JWs were right.  Then, they hurt his very sensitive feelings, so they were wrong, and suddenly I wasn't such a bad guy after all. But then, when I hurt his feelings (not hard to do), the JWs are now right, again.

Anyway, I just want to make some things clear to this character, since you mentioned him by name, and your observations about him.  You are correct...his writings had no substance at all.  None.  And he gets highly offended if you don't tell him his ideas are possibilities, even if they are Scriptural nonsense.  So yes, he became VERY rude...and you saw it.

But he has been writing me every day, trying to start trouble, and I have kept them Private by rejecting them., since my reply to him posted.  And he is completely out of line, and he is not going to approach me in this manner, so his writings have been rejected.  I am interested in helping people....Not dealing with a trouble-maker, who's only goal is to stir trouble, and writes in a sarcastic and hateful tone.  

BTW, his latest name for himself, is "Christaras the Great" , and "SUPER POWERFUL INVINCIBLE CHRISTARAS" .  So, as you can see, humility is not his strongest point.

But so he will know....When he writes to me, basically DEMANDING that I talk with him, then he is going to be rejected.  He is not my boss, and I don't take to orders from him.  Only my wife can get away with talking to me like that, and he is not my wife.....  

Furthermore, when he publicly posts name-calling about me, like "PIG of Satan", then I have nothing to say to him.  Funny, he tried writing his derogatory and insulting posts about me, to another JW expert who is respectable, and he was soundly rebuked and corrected.  But this shows you the vast difference between DW and Mr. Hepburn.  DW will allow his profile to be used for such garbage.  So Christaras has learned how to scrape the bottom of the barrel, so to speak, and discovered who will allow his unchristian rants to be published.  

When he writes me, making threats such as, in effect...."Either you talk to me, or I will go to the other experts about you" (oooh, I'm scared), then that gets nowhere with me.  I don't have 5 minutes to waste on a moron like that.

Furthermore, he has been rejected, because he simply is not a person interested in intelligent Biblical discussion.

Marie, may I use this answer to you, to address just another few points about Christy?  I initially responded to his writing to me, even though he was extremely nasty in that one, too.  In spite of the fact I was called "apostate" (by a hypocrite who is not even a JW himself, by the way), and was told that I was a worshipper of Satan, I still exposed him....For one, it was so easy.  Second, he had it coming.  And third, I wanted to set the record straight on this guy who lied about my position and claimed I didn't believe in "logic", when he himself was the one holding to completely ILLOGICAL viewpoints.

But here is the funniest part of all.  Seriously, this one is too good not to mention, because it clearly illustrates the ILLOGICAL thinking of this person, who is yapping about "logic".  Ready for this one? Here goes....

In his first writing, he approaches me with this statement...."You and your orthodox friends hold a book that you claim you cant understand. So all of your teachings are illogical. LOL!"

Now, this in itself, is a completely ILLOGICAL statement, and I could have a field day tearing that one apart....logically.  But I will save that for another time.  I want to approach it from another angle.

First, the statement is untrue.  Its a lie.  He says that I "hold a book that I CLAIM is illogical".  That is where he made his deadly mistake.....He followed DW's pattern, and lied.  Not only by inventing a false statement, but by misrepresenting my position.  Christy knows full well that I was the one arguing for the logic of the Bible being the final authority.  He knows it, and I know it.  So, he lied in his foundational statement from the very beginning.  

So, as always, he was challenged to provide the statement, as well.  And like DW, he completely ignored the challenge.  And Christy....THAT was another REASON your subsequent writings have been rejected....You are not permitted to base your argument on a lie and distortion of my beliefs, and then ignore it when I challenge you for the quote.  That's just not going to happen.  You provided no quote, nor any statement from me, that indicates that I don't think the Bible is "logical".  So, that's why I don't choose to waste time with you....Because you don't answer questions asked of YOU.

But get this....He writes to me, with a FALSE premise, and NO quotes to back up his premise, and this is perfectly acceptable and "Christian", in his mind.  

HOWEVER, I respond by QUOTING him, providing references for each quote, and also the links where the quote could be found (with the exception of the Private correspondence).

Well, when I used his own words against him, here is what he wrote back to me.  I quote him again...."Congratulations. You must feel proud for this demonic attack."

Now Marie, have you ever seen such blatant hypocrisy?  Furthermore, have you ever seen anything so "ILLOGICAL"?  

Now, let's look at his "logical" thinking....Its perfectly fine for him to write me with a lie and false accusation, ignore the request for any evidence which would substantiate his lie, and lash out calling me names like "apostate", and accusing me of worshipping Satan....Now, that is perfectly fine.

HOWEVER, when I respond by giving quotes from him, and providing the links to the quotes, he whines like a baby, and screams "demonic attack" .  Have you ever seen anything like it?  And this clown thinks he's LOGICAL?  What kind of twisted "logic", tells you that its okay to lie, but the guy you're lying about, has no right to QUOTE you, in replying to your lie?

Great logic there, Christy.  

Then, as if that wasn't enough, he claims that I took his words out of context.  Absolutely amazing.  He totally INVENTS a lie about me out of the clear blue, but then complains when I quote him, and says "its out of context"?  

Uh, what does the Dipstick think I gave the LINKS along with the quotes, for?  So readers can read the context.  See how "brilliant" he is?  Imagine how long that post would have been, had I posted the entirely of EVERY article, where his quotes were found.  By providing the links, ANYBODY can see the foolish statements he made, and also the ones I did him the favor of not posting.

But remember...This is the same guy who offered NO quotes from me.  NONE.  He invents a statement and offers NO links or quotes....and then complains about "context".  What a hypocrite, and a very immature and babyish one, at that.  

You know Marie, this letter was very timely.  I am actually glad you pointed out this guy's writings, because it allowed me to address just a few of the things I wanted to.  I have been rejecting him as of that last reply, because of his tone and his mannerisms.  My natural desire, is to pulverize him....logically, and Scripturally.  

But again, I believe not giving him a sounding board through my profile, is the Scriptural course to take, going forward. However, that certainly does not mean that I will not address statements from him, DW, or anyone else, that need addressing.  It just means I'm not "feeding the troll".

And as for whether or not they are under conviction, one can only hope.  But its really hard to tell what is in their hearts.  One thing is for sure, though....If they had any real Biblical answers for me, they would not have to lie and distort things.  That is a clear sign of extreme desperation.

Thank you again for writing, and may God bless you and yours.

Jehovah`s Witness

Derrick Holland

I was raised in the religion known as Jehovah`s Witnesses for 13 years. Since becoming a born-again Christian, I have researched extensively this religion, especially their doctrines and their history. I can answer questions about their doctrines from the perspective of Biblical Christianity. To be clear: Jehovahs Witnesses is the religion of my upbringing, though I myself was never baptized into the religion, nor have I ever been considered as a Jehovahs Witness.

29 years of Biblical research into the fundamental doctrines of the Christian faith, and how they differ from the teachings of the Watchtower.

I would advise each questioner to this forum, to carefully READ the profiles of the various volunteers. There are several such as myself, who are not practicing JWs, but will provide you with an accurate and honest answer, regarding JW teaching. If we don't know the answer, we will try to research and get it for you. There are also some excellent practicing JWs here, who also endeavor to give you a factual and honest answer, based on their point of view. I believe by getting both points of view, the questioner can weigh the evidence for themselves, and make an informed decision. Unfortunately, there are also 3 here who claim to be JWs, but do NOT give honest, or well-researched answers. They will tell you only what they want you to believe, and they often hide facts about the history of their religion, as well as print untruths about other people's beliefs. This is done in an attempt to deceive the unsuspecting reader. It can be easily seen who these 3 are, simply by reading the public posts and "answers" which they write. Their posts will normally be filled with personal attacks, and if you question them about some teaching or aspect of the Watchtower that makes them uncomfortable, they will often reject your question, question your motives for asking it, tell you that you have been reading "apostate" sites, or turn the conversation into an attack on another expert. These ones are better avoided, as there is nothing to be gained by way of positive discussion, as they are not interested in intelligent conversation, or honest dialogue. If after reading the forum, you still have any questions as to who they are, just ask me, and I will be happy to tell you. And I can also provide documentation of their willful dishonesty. One thing is for a forum where people from both sides claim to be "Christians", there should never be any willful lying. Such ones only create a distraction in the forum, and provide nothing of any real value.

High School, some college. Studies of God's Word, the Bible, and how it compares to JW theology. I have found my own personal study and experiences to be far more valuable than any formal education or training. The Bible message is clear...Salvation is ONLY through and by the shed blood of Jesus Christ, and no religious organization has a thing to do with it. While attendance at a Bible-preaching, Bible-believing church is a must for spiritual growth and fellowship, no church can grant salvation to its members. Nor is joining a particular group a prerequisite for being saved.