Jehovah`s Witness/About Abraham

Question
Hello Sir and I hope all is well. I have a few questions that needs an answer to and according to the answers that you have given to people that have written in to you; I feel you are qualified as well as anyone else on this forum.

*I am having difficulty figuring out how Abraham's peopleoff-spring or descendents became a people. Was it something miracolous from the Lord or what?

* I was reading Exodus 1:15 and was wondering why Moses wasn't killed by the King? And as a result did the Lord do anything for his people?

*My Bible coach is not certain if God's people became a holy nation or not. Does the Bible elaborate on this and if so, why?

*I have read Deuteronomy 4:5-8 but I'm still not sure how the Law of the Israelites was different from the nations?

* I would like to be a true follower of the Lord/God, what does he expect of me and what does he expect me to do?

* What does it mean in the scripture somewhere in Hosea when it mentions they no longer produce good fruit?

* Abdijah, I know God is all wise and he can see well into the future. Did God actually foresee that a new people would exists on earth?

I know these are a lot of questions and I have 100's more but even though I have been borned again and I pray constantly for the Holy Ghost, I still can't figure out most of the passages in the Bible that I read. I wish I lived closer to a big city where I can get witnesses over to my farm to give me all the answers. My church is a joke when it comes to asking for help. Several of us sincere members have started our own little study group but most of them are like me with very little knowledge.

But I keep praying and reading my Bible and right now that is all I can think of to do.

Thank you for taking my questions and have a blessed day in the name of the Lord.

Jules

Answer
Hello Jules and thank you for your questions. I do not know if I can answer all of them but will do my best.

QUESTION: I am having difficulty figuring out how Abraham's people off-spring or descendants became a people. Was it something miraculous from the Lord or what?

REPLY: There were a number of miracles involved. Abraham impregnated Sarah with Isaac when he was 100 years old and she was 90, beyond the age of childbearing. (Genesis 17:15—17; 18:10—12 ) Then his descendants were held in slavery for more than 4 centuries while they grew into a numerous population. (Exodus 1:8—10; 12:40, 41 ) After the 10 plagues, which were miracles, they were freed from Egypt, but pursued by the Egyptian army. They again experienced a miracle when the Red Sea parted and they crossed, but it closed in and drowned the Egyptian army when it entered the seabed. (Exodus 7:17—11:8; 14:1—31 )

QUESTION:  I was reading Exodus 1:15 and was wondering why Moses wasn't killed by the King? And as a result did the Lord do anything for his people?

REPLY: The Bible does not make it clear whether Pharaoh knew that Moses was a Hebrew or not, although it seems his daughter did. In either case, for the last few plagues they Egyptians had the same information as the Israelites did, so some were able to save their belongings, and for the tenth plague even save the life of their firstborn if they did as Jehovah directed. For example, note Exodus 9:20 .

QUESTION: My Bible coach is not certain if God's people became a holy nation or not. Does the Bible elaborate on this and if so, why?

REPLY: Exodus 19:6 informs us that if Israel obeyed Jehovah they would become a holy nation, and they were such to a degree, but they would have seen a far greater application of this promise had they remained faithful, which they did not. As long as they remained faithfully obedient, they were Jehovah’s Witnesses, according to Isaiah 43:10—12 . However, because they stubbornly refused to continue to obey, even to the point of murdering Jehovah’s own Son Jesus, then as Jesus said would happen in Matthew 21:43 ,  the nation of fleshly Israel was replaced with “the Israel of God” or spiritual Israel. (Romans chapters 9—11; Galatians 6:16 ) These are the ones who ultimately receive the promise. (1 Peter 2:7—10 )

QUESTION: I have read Deuteronomy 4:5-8 but I'm still not sure how the Law of the Israelites was different from the nations?

REPLY: The administration of justice in Israel was quite different from the legal procedures followed in the surrounding nations. No distinction was made between civil law and criminal law. Both were intertwined with moral and religious laws. An offense against one’s neighbor was an offense against Jehovah. In his book The People and the Faith of the Bible , author André Chouraqui writes: “The juridical tradition of the Hebrews differs from that of its neighbors, not only in its definition of transgressions and penalties but in the very spirit of the laws. . . . The Torah [Law] is not distinct from daily life; it commands the nature and content of daily life by dispensing benediction or malediction. . . . In Israel . . . it is almost impossible to make a clear distinction in the juridical activities of the city. They were hidden in the unity of a life completely oriented toward the fulfillment of the will of the living God.”
This unique situation placed the administration of justice in Israel on a far higher level than in contemporaneous nations. Bible scholar Roland de Vaux writes: “Israelite law, for all its resemblances in form and content, differs radically from the clauses of the Oriental ‘treaties’ and the articles of their ‘codes’. It is a religious law. . . . No Oriental code can be compared with the Israelite law, which is ascribed in its entirety to God as its author. If it contains, and often mingles, ethical and ritual prescriptions, this is because it covers the whole field of the divine Covenant, and because this Covenant governed the relations of men with one another as well as their relations with God.” Small wonder that Moses asked: “What great nation is there that has righteous regulations and judicial decisions like all this law that I am putting before you today?”

QUESTION:  I would like to be a true follower of the Lord/God, what does he expect of me and what does he expect me to do?

REPLY: A great help in this regard is the publication, What Does the Bible Really Teach? which you can find at the second link below. If you browse the website at the first link you will find quite a bit of helpful information. You can also request a free home Bible study at this link:
https://www.jw.org/en/free-bible-study/   I did find that there is a Congregation not too far from your city. (See below.)

QUESTION:  What does it mean in the scripture somewhere in Hosea when it mentions they no longer produce good fruit?

REPLY: Jehovah expects us to render sacred service to him in a clean, unhypocritical manner. However, Israel had become an unproductive “degenerating vine.” Israel’s inhabitants had ‘multiplied altars’ for use in false worship. These apostates had even put up pillars—perhaps obelisks designed for use in unclean worship. Jehovah was going to break down these altars and destroy such pillars. — Hosea 10:1, 2 . Hypocrisy has no place among Jehovah’s servants. Yet, the Israelites’ ‘heart had become hypocritical’! Although they had once entered a covenant with Jehovah as a people dedicated to him, he found them guilty of hypocrisy.

QUESTION:  Abdijah, I know God is all wise and he can see well into the future. Did God actually foresee that a new people would exist on earth?

REPLY: I cannot say with certainty exactly how much detail Jehovah chose to know in advance in this regard, but he knew that his purpose would be accomplished, if not through fleshly Israel then through Spiritual Israel, as per some of the Scriptures supplied above. He did tell Abraham the people of all nations would bless themselves by means of Abraham’s seed. (Genesis 22:17, 18; 26:4, 5 ) Later that seed is revealed to be not only Christ Jesus, but his spiritual brothers from various national groups. (Galatians 3:16, 26—29 )

Here are some links from which you may benefit; the first one is to our official website.
The second is to the publication, What Does the Bible Really Teach? Perhaps you could contact the local Congregation and they would send someone to study with you individually or even as a group.

http://www.jw.org

http://www.jw.org/en/publications/books/bible-teach/

Here are some meeting times for Jehovah’s Witnesses near you. Since some of this is written in Thai, I am not sure how it will display.

Thai:
Friday, 7:00 p.m. (Congregation Bible Study)
Sunday, 10:00 a.m. (Public Meeting)

Some meetings also held in English:
228/76 หมู่ 11 ถ.เขาตะโล ซอย 4 แยก 3
ต.หนองปรือ อ. บางละมุง
จ. ชลบุรี 20260
228/76 M.11 Pattaya
A.Bang Lamung
CHONBURI 20260 20260
0818109940

I hope this has been helpful to you, and thank you for giving me the opportunity to respond to your questions.
Abdijah

Jehovah`s Witness

Abdijah