Jehovah`s Witness/Jesus

Question
Why does Jesus call Himself The Alpha and The Omega in Revelation 22 :12-13 Revelation 18 calls him Lord God or Jehovah depending upon the version you are reading. Alpha And Omega is The Title of Almighty God

Jesus forgives Sins Just Like God  Mark 2:5-7, 10-11  Who can forgive sins but God alone?    

Jesus gives Eternal Life Just Like God in John 10:27-28

One Of Jesus Titles Is God With Us in Matthew 1:23 Immanuel  

Jesus spoke as God would speak Matthew 5:27-29 John 14:15  Matthew 7:28-29

Like God Jesus Is called Lord of Lords and King of Kings  psalm 136: 3 Revelation 17:14

Jesus Blood is called God's Blood  Acts 20:28
Jesus has the same nature as God  Hebrews 1:3

Peter and Titus call Him God  II Peter !:!  Titus 2:12-14

Jesus is call Mighty God in Isaiah 9:6 and God The Father is also called Might God in  Isaiah 10:21

Answer
Hi Timothy,

I see you are still trying to prove that Jesus is Jehovah.  None of the scriptures you site proves that.

Remember Jesus was GIVEN ALL AUTHORITY AND WAS GIVEN A NAME, by who?  Jehovah God....so nothing else can change that fact. They are not the same.  They never were and never will be.  They work in harmony and in union.  Just because the Bible calls Jesus Lord one place and calls Jehovah Lord another does not make them the same.  

<<<Quote>>>

These are the names of the first and last letters of the Greek alphabet and are used as a title three times in the book of Revelation. The additional occurrence of this phrase in the King James rendering of Revelation 1:11, however, does not receive support from some of the oldest Greek manuscripts, including the Alexandrine, Sinaitic, and Codex Ephraemi rescriptus. It is, therefore, omitted in many modern translations.

While many commentators apply this title both to God and to Christ, a more careful examination of its use restricts its application to Jehovah God. The first verse of Revelation shows that the revelation was given originally by God and through Jesus Christ, hence the one speaking (through an angelic representative) at times is God himself, and at other times it is Christ Jesus. (Re 22:8) Thus Revelation 1:8 (RS) says: “‘I am the Alpha and the Omega,’ says the Lord God [“Jehovah God,” NW], who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.” Although the preceding verse speaks of Christ Jesus, it is clear that in verse 8 the application of the title is to “the Almighty” God. In this regard Barnes’ Notes on the New Testament (1974) observes: “It cannot be absolutely certain that the writer meant to refer to the Lord Jesus specifically here . . . There is no real incongruity in supposing, also, that the writer here meant to refer to God as such.”

The title occurs again at Revelation 21:6, and the following verse identifies the speaker by saying: “Anyone conquering will inherit these things, and I shall be his God and he will be my son.” Inasmuch as Jesus referred to those who are joint heirs with him in his Kingdom as “brothers,” not “sons,” the speaker must be Jesus’ heavenly Father, Jehovah God.—Mt 25:40; compare Heb 2:10-12.

The final occurrence of the title is at Revelation 22:13, which states: “I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end.” It is evident that a number of persons are represented as speaking in this chapter of Revelation; verses 8 and 9 show that the angel spoke to John, verse 16 obviously applies to Jesus, the first part of verse 17 is credited to “the spirit and the bride,” and the one speaking in the latter part of verse 20 is manifestly John himself. “The Alpha and the Omega” of verses 12-15, therefore, may properly be identified as the same one who bears the title in the other two occurrences: Jehovah God. The expression, “Look! I am coming quickly,” in verse 12, does not require that these aforementioned verses apply to Jesus, inasmuch as God also speaks of himself as “coming” to execute judgment. (Compare Isa 26:21.) Malachi 3:1-6 speaks of a joint coming for judgment on the part of Jehovah and his “messenger of the covenant.”

The title “the Alpha and the Omega” carries the same thought as “the first and the last” and “the beginning and the end” when these terms are used with reference to Jehovah. Before him there was no Almighty God, and there will be none after him. He will bring to a successful conclusion the issue over Godship, forever vindicated as the one and only Almighty God.—Compare Isa 44:6.

<<<End Quote>>>

Mark 2:5-10  "When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralytic: “Child, your sins are forgiven.” 6 Now some of the scribes were there, sitting and reasoning in their hearts: 7 “Why is this man talking this way? He is blaspheming. Who can forgive sins except one, God?” 8 But immediately Jesus discerned by his spirit that they were reasoning that way among themselves, so he said to them: “Why are you reasoning these things in your hearts? 9 Which is easier, to say to the paralytic, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Get up and pick up your stretcher and walk’? 10 But in order for you to know that the Son of man has authority to forgive sins on earth”

Did Jesus say only God could forgive sins?  Or did the scribes who did not worship God acceptably think that?  The Bible says it was the scribes who rejected Jesus who were thinking that.  And Jesus didn't agree with them. He said he had the authority to forgive sins. Isn't that one of the reason's he came to earth in the first place is to die for us so that our sins can be forgiven?  

Jesus himself said he was GIVEN authority...so he cannot be Almighty if someone else has to give him authority.  

Matt 28:18  "Jesus approached and spoke to them, saying: “All authority has been given me in heaven and on the earth."

And Jehovah says that he exalted Jesus and gave him the name that is above every other name, Jesus!  Which means Jehovah is Salvation...

Phil. 2:9-11 "For this very reason, God exalted him to a superior position and kindly gave him the name that is above every other name, 10 so that in the name of Jesus every knee should bend—of those in heaven and those on earth and those under the ground— 11 and every tongue should openly acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father."

John 10:27, 28 "My sheep listen to my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give them everlasting life, and they will by no means ever be destroyed, and no one will snatch them out of my hand."

So in John Jesus says he will give them everlasting life and will by no means be destroyed...again, Jesus was given the authority to do this by Jehovah.

John 17:1,2 "Jesus spoke these things, and raising his eyes to heaven, he said: “Father, the hour has come. Glorify your son so that your son may glorify you, 2 just as you have given him authority over all flesh, so that he may give everlasting life to all those whom you have given to him"

Here we see that Jesus is letting everyone know that Jehovah his Father gave him authority over all flesh so that he may give everlasting life.  That doesn't make Jesus Jehovah.  As he was given this authority.  Let's read the next verse where Jesus makes it even more clear.

John 17:3 "This means everlasting life, their coming to know you, the only true God, and the one whom you sent, Jesus Christ. 4 I have glorified you on the earth, having finished the work you have given me to do. 5 So now, Father, glorify me at your side with the glory that I had alongside you before the world was."

Matt 1:23 "Look! The virgin will become pregnant and will give birth to a son, and they will name him Im·man′u·el,” which means, when translated, “With Us Is God.”

This doesn't say that Jesus is Jehovah.  It says that Immanuel when translated means "With Us Is God"  There are tons of people in the Bible whose name has Jehovah as part of it.  That doesn't mean that person is Jehovah.

Isaiah means "Salvation of Jehovah"

Joshua means "Jehovah is Salvation"

Jeremiah means "Jehovah Exalts"

Jochebed means "Jehovah is Glory"

Elijah means "My God is Jehovah"

Elisha means "God is Salvation"

Nehemiah means "Jah comforts"

Jesus means "Jehovah is Salvation"

All those names with Jehovah or God in them does not mean that that person is God or Jehovah, just like Immanuel doesn't  mean that person is God or Jehovah.  

Matt 5:27-29 "“You heard that it was said: ‘You must not commit adultery.’ 28 But I say to you that everyone who keeps on looking at a woman so as to have a passion for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29 If, now, your right eye is making you stumble, tear it out and throw it away from you. For it is better for you to lose one of your members than for your whole body to be pitched into Ge·hen′na."

Again Jesus was given authority by God to speak these things, and Jesus himself also said that he only speaks what his Father tells him to.

John 7:16 "Jesus, in turn, answered them and said: “What I teach is not mine, but belongs to him who sent me."

John 8:28,29 "Jesus then said: “After you have lifted up the Son of man, then you will know that I am he and that I do nothing of my own initiative; but just as the Father taught me, I speak these things. 29 And the One who sent me is with me; he did not abandon me to myself, because I always do the things pleasing to him.”

John 14:15 "“If you love me, you will observe my commandments."

If Jesus was given authority by God and also only speaks what God tells him then the commandments that must be observed are God's commandments that Jesus is giving.  And if you read verse 16, JEsus is saying he will ask the Father...if he is Jehovah who is the Father, why does he need to ask him anything?

John 14:16 "And I will ask the Father and he will give you another helper to be with you forever,"

Psalms 136:3 and Revelation 17:14 one speaks of Jehovah and one speaks of Jesus, doesn't mean they are the same just because they are called lord of lord and king of kinds, see this:

Acts 2:36 "Therefore, let all the house of Israel know for a certainty that God made him both Lord and Christ, this Jesus whom you executed on a stake.”

Again, it all points to Jehovah giving Jesus authority.  Not that Jesus is Jehovah.

Acts 20:28 (NWT) "Pay attention to yourselves and to all the flock, among which the holy spirit has appointed you overseers, to shepherd the congregation of God, which he purchased with the blood of his own Son."

Acts 20:28 (KJV) "Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood"

Acts 20:28 (NET)"Watch out for yourselves and for all the flock of which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God that he obtained with the blood of his own Son."

Acts 20:28 (RSV) "Take heed to yourselves and to all the flock, in which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to care for the church of God which he obtained with the blood of his own Son"

Here we see that some Bibles say own blood and some say blood of his own son.  So which one is correct?  Well it would be the one that doesn't contradict the other Bible scriptures.  God is a spirit, he does not have blood (John 4:24) God is not a man, (Numbers 23:19) so he was never a man with flesh and blood, and he can not die. One cannot be Almighty if any part of them can die.   But his son Jesus became a man and died and shed his blood as ransom.  So common sense has to be used.

Hebrews 1:3 "He is the reflection of God’s glory and the exact representation of his very being, and he sustains all things by the word of his power. And after he had made a purification for our sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high."

Reflection and exact representation does not mean that Jesus is Jehovah. And they are both invisible, and have spirit bodies...so having the same nature doesn't make a person the same being.  

2 Peter 1:1 "Simon Peter, a slave and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to those who have acquired a faith as precious as ours through the righteousness of our God and the Savior Jesus Christ:"

This scripture in no way says that Peter called Jesus God.  Peter made reference to God AND the Savior Jesus Christ.

And when you read the next verse you see that clearly as well:

2 Peter 1:2 "May undeserved kindness and peace be increased to you by an accurate knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord,:"

Titus 2:12-14 "It trains us to reject ungodliness and worldly desires and to live with soundness of mind and righteousness and godly devotion amid this present system of things, 13 while we wait for the happy hope and glorious manifestation of the great God and of our Savior, Jesus Christ, It trains us to reject ungodliness and worldly desires and to live with soundness of mind and righteousness and godly devotion amid this present system of things, 13 while we wait for the happy hope and glorious manifestation of the great God and of our Savior, Jesus Christ, "

Again same thing as Peter, God AND of our Savior, Jesus Christ.  Not the same....

Isaiah 9:6 For a child has been born to us, A son has been given to us; And the rulership will rest on his shoulder. His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace."

Isaiah 10:21 "Only a remnant will return, The remnant of Jacob, to the Mighty God"

Yes Isaiah refers to Jesus as being a Mighty God, but never in scripture is Jesus called Almighty God...Jehovah is a Mighty God, and he gave Jesus authority as a  Mighty God.  Still doesn't mean Jesus is ALMIGHTY GOD.   It's a big gigantic difference.  And doesn't prove Jesus is Jehovah.  

Sorry Timothy, you have not proven that Jesus is Jehovah, but the very opposite!

Take Care

Sister T  

Jehovah`s Witness

Sister T