Jehovah`s Witness/Feasts

Jesus celebrated the Jewish Feasts as in Luke 2:41 ans many others. Yet you say we should not celebrate Holidays because of the Pagan Feasts. Jesus kept the Jewish Feasts which were not christian feasts at all.

Hello Timothy,

When Jesus was born to Mary, he was born as a Jew, as the Jews were God's chosen people at that time, and the Jews were under the Mosaic Law, or written Law code, and according to the Mosaic Law the Jews had Feasts and Festivals that Jehovah God gave them.  None of those were celebrations honoring any pagan gods, but were celebrations honoring Jehovah God.  Jehovah would not give his people a festival that was honoring some other god.

Jehovah told the Jews at Ex 23:13,14  "“You must be careful to do all that I have said to you, and you must not mention the names of other gods; they should not be heard on your lips. 14 “Three times a year you are to celebrate a festival to me."

So Luke 2:41 is speaking of the festival of the Passover.  The Passover was celebrated annually to commemorate the fact that when the first born of Egypt were killed, the Jews who put the blood on their door posts were passed over.  

The times that the Israelites did things that were against God, like worshipping any other gods besides him, he did not tolerate it and that included any festivals to any other gods.

Like when they made the golden calf and started to celebrate and then Aaron said it was a festival to Jehovah, but was it really?  No it was about the golden calf.  So just like back then Jehovah did not approve of any festivals or feasts that involved other gods, he does not approve today.  

Exodus 32:4,5 "Then he took the gold from them, and he formed it with an engraving tool and made it into a statue of a calf. They began to say: “This is your God, O Israel, who led you up out of the land of Egypt. 5  When Aaron saw this, he built an altar before it. Then Aaron called out: “There is a festival to Jehovah tomorrow.”

Jehovah did not approve of that festival, he told Moses that they had corrupted themselves and many loss their lives because of that festival to another god.

Exodus 32:7  "Jehovah now said to Moses: “Go, descend, because your people, whom you led up out of the land of Egypt, have corrupted themselves."

Exodus 32:35 "Then Jehovah began plaguing the people because they had made the calf, the one that Aaron had made."

Now when Jesus was born on earth, as mentioned earlier, he was born as a Jew and grew up as a Jew observing the Law that the Jews were under.  But Jesus didn't become the messiah until after he was baptized and started his ministry at the age of 30. (Luke 3:21-23; Luke 4:14-21 ) He is the one who founded Christianity, and this meant the Jews had to make changes.  These changes were first called "The Way" and then later they were called Christians.  

Acts 9:2 "and asked him for letters to the synagogues in Damascus, so that he might bring bound to Jerusalem any whom he found who belonged to The Way, both men and women."

Acts 11:26 "........So for a whole year they assembled with them in the congregation and taught quite a crowd, and it was first in Antioch that the disciples were by divine providence called Christians."

Once Jesus died his dying ended the written Law.  So the first century CHRISTIANS (meaning Christlike) no longer observed the written Law code.  As Jesus fulfilled it.  So it served its purpose and was no longer needed.

Matt 5:17  "“Do not think I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I came, not to destroy, but to fulfill."

Romans 10:4 "For Christ is the end of the Law, so that everyone exercising faith may have righteousness."

Ephesians 2:15 "By means of his flesh he abolished the enmity, the Law of commandments consisting in decrees,......"

Romans 7:6 "But now we have been released from the Law, because we have died to that which restrained us, in order that we might be slaves in a new sense by the spirit and not in the old sense by the written code."

Now we are under the Law of Christ!  

John 13:34,35 "I am giving you a new commandment, that you love one another; just as I have loved you, you also love one another. 35 By this all will know that you are my disciples—if you have love among yourselves.”

Gal 6:2 "Go on carrying the burdens of one another, and in this way you will fulfill the law of the Christ."

And at no time did Jesus or the first century Christians ever celebrate any pagan Feasts or Festivals that honored other gods!  

Take Care

Sister T  

Jehovah`s Witness

Sister T

Please click here--> For your Free Home Bible Study

I can answer questions related to Jehovah's Witnesses and the Bible. I love learning the truth from the Bible and helping others to learn that truth as well. I don't know everything but will answer from the Bible, I like to use illustrations as well to help a person relate to what is being said. The Bible has the last say so over any person.

I am an active baptized Jehovah's Witness and Jehovah is Almighty God,(Ps. 83:18) and his Son Jesus Christ died so that everyone exercising faith in him may not be destroyed but have everlasting life. (John 3:16). I support my fellow Witnesses on this board who are real, and Jehovah's worldwide visible organization, including the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses. As God is not a God of disorder, and there could not be order if there were not ones to take the lead. Taking the lead and having a leader is not the same, our leader is Jesus Christ, and in order to have unity and order, there has to be arrangements in place. As the first century Christians had, there were men taking the lead, (Acts 6:1-6) as with Moses, (Exodus 18:21) and in our day, in following with Bible truths, we do the same. When people twist that around to us worshiping men, it is just a straight out lie! Why would the Scripture at 1 Tim. 3:1-10, 12, 13 give the criteria for men reaching out for an office of overseer if that was not meant to be? (Phil 1:1, Acts 20:17, 28, Eph. 4:11, 12, 2 Cor. 3:4-6). If we were not supposed to have men who take the lead, why was this scripture penned? James 5:14-15 "Is there anyone sick among YOU? Let him call the older men of the congregation to [him], and let them pray over him, greasing [him] with oil in the name of Jehovah. 15 And the prayer of faith will make the indisposed one well, and Jehovah will raise him up. Also, if he has committed sins, it will be forgiven him."

If you have legit questions and want to know the truth, please ask, but if you are here to spread your lies and twists of the scriptures or get your falsehoods out, you may get rejected! The truth is from the Bible, if what you say does not harmonize with the Bible then what you say is wrong! Context and other scriptures help determine scriptures that may stump us, let scripture interpret scripture. The Bible does not contradict itself, so if what you are being taught or if what you are teaching makes it seem like the Bible is contradictory, remember it's not the Bible it's the man-made teaching! Doctrines of men! Mark 7:6, 7 "He said to them: “Isaiah aptly prophesied about YOU hypocrites, as it is written, ‘This people honor me with [their] lips, but their hearts are far removed from me. 7 It is in vain that they keep worshiping me, because they teach as doctrines commands of men." (also Romans 10:2, 3)

Matthew 24:14 says "And this good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come." We are doing that today, we are living in times of Bible Prophecy and as a Jehovah's Witness, we have the privilege to be apart of a prophecy spoken by Jesus himself! The good news of the Kingdom. Ask yourself, what kingdom? then read Daniel 2:44! It's a real government. Take heed now! Listening to men over God will mean your life.(Prov 3:5,6, Ps. 146:3) A lie will never become truth, No matter how long or how many people say it or speak it. Learn what the Bible really teaches, seek out Jehovah's ways, serving God in truth is only acceptable to him,(John 4:23, 24) you can not be serving God acceptably if what you believe is a lie! Pray for understanding and ask Jehovah to search your heart and draw you! (John 6:44, 65) Now is the time to be with the people who are called by Jehovah's name! (Acts 15:14, 17, Isa. 43:7, 10, Zech 8:23)