Jehovah`s Witness/Is Hell a fiery place of eternity

Question
Greeting Carol, I am wondering with all the information of hell being fiery place of eternal torment, it doesnt seem right that a person would recieve the 'Gift of Immortality' for being wicked, when Immortality is a gift bestwowed by God to the righteous? Am I correct on this understanding according to the scriptures. Feel free to use the king James Version Bible, so that I may see that the truth can be found in it aswell. Im making this  request  because I want to see that its a lie or not, that my Born-Again Baptist church pastor who said, that the Jehovah Witness New World Translation bible  is based on person beliefs. Personally I dont belief that, so for the sake of truth to all other readers I  am opened minded to your religions biblical teachings. Thank you Carol.

Answer
Reg,
Well put. Life is a gift and is only bestowed to those who find favor in Gods eyes. I found a short article that I thought would help you with this subject. You can look these scriptures up in your King James Bible as well. When I first started studying I used the King James in all my studies for the first year. The truth is found in any Bible one uses. I have included the article below. Please let me know if this answered your question satisfactorily!

What is the origin of the myth, Hellfire?

“Of all classical Greek philosophers, the one who has had the greatest influence on traditional views of Hell is Plato.”—Histoire des enfers (The History of Hell), by Georges Minois, page 50.
“From the middle of the 2nd century AD Christians who had some training in Greek philosophy began to feel the need to express their faith in its terms . . . The philosophy that suited them best was Platonism [the teachings of Plato].”—The New Encyclopædia Britannica (1988), Volume 25, page 890.
“The teaching of the Church affirms the existence of hell and its eternity. Immediately after death the souls of those who die in a state of mortal sin descend into hell, where they suffer the punishments of hell, ‘eternal fire.’ The chief punishment of hell is eternal separation from God.”—Catechism of the Catholic Church, 1994 edition, page 270.

What does the Bible say? “For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing, . . . for there is no work or thought or knowledge or wisdom in Sheol, to which you are going.”—Ecclesiastes 9:5, 10, Revised Standard Version.

The Hebrew word Sheol, which referred to the “abode of the dead,” is translated “hell” in some versions of the Bible. What does this passage reveal about the condition of the dead? Do they suffer in Sheol in order to atone for their errors? No, for they “know nothing.” That is why the patriarch Job, when suffering terribly because of a severe illness, begged God: “Protect me in hell [Hebrew, Sheol].” (Job 14:13; Douay-Rheims Version) What meaning would his request have had if Sheol was a place of eternal torment? Hell, in the Biblical sense, is simply the common grave of mankind, where all activity has ceased.

Is not this definition of hell more logical and in harmony with Scripture? What crime, however horrible, could cause a God of love to torture a person endlessly? (1 John 4:8)

Compare these Bible verses: Psalm 146:3, 4; Acts 2:25-27; Romans 6:7, 23
FACT:
God does not punish people in hell

Jehovah`s Witness

Carol Massey