Jehovah`s Witness/Jonah & Jesus

I would like to continue and give what Jehovah's Witnesses believe inregards to what Mr. Richard explained regarding his beliefs. This one will be about Matt 12:40 and Jonah 2:2.

Mr. Richard said:  "…..What condition was Jonah in while he was in the belly of the huge fish?  In Jonah 2:2, it said that Jonah cried out from the depths of Sheol.   

Before we move on, try this.  Go to and click Read the Bible Online.  Go to Jonah 2:2.  It says this "Out of the depths* of the Grave* I cried for help."  See that little * next to Grave.  Click on it.  It says this, "Grave. When lowercased, referring to an individual grave; when capitalized, the common grave of mankind, equivalent to the Hebrew “Sheol” and the Greek “Hades.” It is described in the Bible as a symbolic place or condition wherein all activity and consciousness cease.   Now ask yourself.  Did the NWT capitalize "Grave"? Yes.  So, Jonah was in Sheol/Hades, right?  Yes.  And if all activity and consciousness cease in Sheol/Hades, how did Jonah cry out for help from there?

Back to what Sister T said.  Jesus was JUST AS Jonah for those three days and three nights.  Jonah's body was in the belly of a whale, yet Jonah cried out from Sheol.  Jesus' body was in a tomb, yet he made proclamation in Sheol."

Does the Bible account of Jonah say that Jonah died?

The Bible account shows that Jonah was close to death in the depths of the sea, or he was drowning, as he was drowning he cried out to Jehovah for help.  And Jehovah saved him from drowning in the sea by appointing a big fish to swallow Jonah.  Now if God was just going to let Jonah die anyway, why appoint a fish to swallow him?  It was so that he wouldn't drown or die in the sea.  If Jonah actually died and was still conscious while dead, why couldn't he just pray while in the deep blue sea?  

Jonah's grave would have been the sea if Jehovah had not appointed the fish to save him, death was certain, it would have been his Grave, Jonah did not know that Jehovah was going to save him.  Just because he said from the depths of Sheol doesn't mean he was dead or had died.  The Bible does not say Jonah died.

Jonah 1:15 "Then they lifted Jo′nah up and threw him into the sea;…."

Jonah 1:17 "Jehovah now sent a huge fish to swallow Jo′nah, so that Jo′nah came to be in the belly of the fish for three days and three nights.

Now once Jonah was safe inside the fish still alive he prayed to Jehovah and thanked him for saving him out of the depths of Sheol, because the sea was going to be his Grave because he was literally drowning.  

It's noteworthy to see that Jonah was not crying out from the depths of Sheol while in the fish, but he cried out while in the sea.  Mr. Richard is incorrect that Jonah's body was in Sheol inside the fish.  Jonah referred to the sea as his Sheol, but again Jehovah did not permit the sea to be Jonah's Grave because he sent the fish to save him.  Once safe inside the fish Jonah prayed to Jehovah about his experience in the sea and thanked him for saving him from certain death.

Jonah 2:1 "Then Jo′nah prayed to Jehovah his God from the belly of the fish, 2 and he said: “Out of my distress I called out to Jehovah, and he answered me. Out of the depths of the Grave I cried for help. You heard my voice.  3  When you threw me to the depths, into the heart of the open sea, Then the currents engulfed me.  All your breakers and waves swept over me.

Jonah was not saying that the depths of the Grave was when he was in the fish, but when he was drowning in the sea is when he cried out for help. It's noteworthy to point out that some translations say "out of the belly of Sheol I cried" and that God "heard him" using past tense helps us to see he's relating events that had already taken place not his current situation.

Let's finish reading Jonah's prayer from inside the fish:

Jonah 2:5-7  "Waters engulfed me and threatened my life; The watery deep closed in on me. Weeds were wrapped around my head.  6 To the bottoms of the mountains I sank down. The bars of the earth were closing upon me forever.  But out of the pit you brought up my life, O Jehovah my God.  7  When my life was ebbing away, Jehovah was the One whom I remembered. Then my prayer came in to you, into your holy temple."

Again, we see Jonah speaking about when he was in the sea drowning, his life was ebbing away, he was dying, but out of the pit or Grave as he was sure to die, Jonah's prayer came to Jehovah.  Continuing on:

Jonah 2:9  "But as for me, with the voice of thanksgiving I will sacrifice to you.  What I have vowed, I will pay.  Salvation is from Jehovah.”

Here we see something interesting, Jonah is thanking Jehovah, saying Salvation is from Jehovah.  If Jonah was dead at this time why would he be thanking Jehovah for saving him?  If Jonah was dead then it would make no sense for him to give thanks for his salvation until he was actually resurrected.  Yet the scriptures never say God resurrected Jonah.  Why?  Because Jonah never died.  He was close to death, but never actually died in that ordeal.  Just like people who say they died but was brought back by CPR…well did the person really die or were they so close to death that it was certain had it not been for the CPR.  No doctors can bring a person back to life once they have really died.  So Jonah saying he cried out from the depth of Sheol doesn't mean he had died, the Bible doesn't say that either.

Jesus used Jonah’s time in the huge fish as a prophetic picture of his own time in the grave, or Sheol.  As the scripture says that the people kept asking for a sign, and Jesus said no sign will be given except the sign of Jonah.

Matthew 12:38-40 "Then as an answer to him, some of the scribes and the Pharisees said: “Teacher, we want to see a sign from you.”  39 In reply he said to them: “A wicked and adulterous generation keeps on seeking a sign, but no sign will be given it except the sign of Jo′nah the prophet.  40 For just as Jo′nah was in the belly of the huge fish for three days and three nights, so the Son of man will be in the heart of the earth for three days and three nights."

Jonah was not permitted to die, but him being in the fish for three days and three nights was prophetic of when Jesus actually died for our sins.

Just like Isaac being close to death by Abraham was prophetic of Jesus actually dying for us, yet Jehovah did not permit Isaac to actually be killed.

The Bible does not contradict itself, it specifically says the dead do not know nothing at all, there is no work nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom in the Grave (Ecc 9:5,10)

Sister T

Jehovah`s Witness

Sister T

Please click here--> For your Free Home Bible Study

I can answer questions related to Jehovah's Witnesses and the Bible. I love learning the truth from the Bible and helping others to learn that truth as well. I don't know everything but will answer from the Bible, I like to use illustrations as well to help a person relate to what is being said. The Bible has the last say so over any person.

I am an active baptized Jehovah's Witness and Jehovah is Almighty God,(Ps. 83:18) and his Son Jesus Christ died so that everyone exercising faith in him may not be destroyed but have everlasting life. (John 3:16). I support my fellow Witnesses on this board who are real, and Jehovah's worldwide visible organization, including the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses. As God is not a God of disorder, and there could not be order if there were not ones to take the lead. Taking the lead and having a leader is not the same, our leader is Jesus Christ, and in order to have unity and order, there has to be arrangements in place. As the first century Christians had, there were men taking the lead, (Acts 6:1-6) as with Moses, (Exodus 18:21) and in our day, in following with Bible truths, we do the same. When people twist that around to us worshiping men, it is just a straight out lie! Why would the Scripture at 1 Tim. 3:1-10, 12, 13 give the criteria for men reaching out for an office of overseer if that was not meant to be? (Phil 1:1, Acts 20:17, 28, Eph. 4:11, 12, 2 Cor. 3:4-6). If we were not supposed to have men who take the lead, why was this scripture penned? James 5:14-15 "Is there anyone sick among YOU? Let him call the older men of the congregation to [him], and let them pray over him, greasing [him] with oil in the name of Jehovah. 15 And the prayer of faith will make the indisposed one well, and Jehovah will raise him up. Also, if he has committed sins, it will be forgiven him."

If you have legit questions and want to know the truth, please ask, but if you are here to spread your lies and twists of the scriptures or get your falsehoods out, you may get rejected! The truth is from the Bible, if what you say does not harmonize with the Bible then what you say is wrong! Context and other scriptures help determine scriptures that may stump us, let scripture interpret scripture. The Bible does not contradict itself, so if what you are being taught or if what you are teaching makes it seem like the Bible is contradictory, remember it's not the Bible it's the man-made teaching! Doctrines of men! Mark 7:6, 7 "He said to them: “Isaiah aptly prophesied about YOU hypocrites, as it is written, ‘This people honor me with [their] lips, but their hearts are far removed from me. 7 It is in vain that they keep worshiping me, because they teach as doctrines commands of men." (also Romans 10:2, 3)

Matthew 24:14 says "And this good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come." We are doing that today, we are living in times of Bible Prophecy and as a Jehovah's Witness, we have the privilege to be apart of a prophecy spoken by Jesus himself! The good news of the Kingdom. Ask yourself, what kingdom? then read Daniel 2:44! It's a real government. Take heed now! Listening to men over God will mean your life.(Prov 3:5,6, Ps. 146:3) A lie will never become truth, No matter how long or how many people say it or speak it. Learn what the Bible really teaches, seek out Jehovah's ways, serving God in truth is only acceptable to him,(John 4:23, 24) you can not be serving God acceptably if what you believe is a lie! Pray for understanding and ask Jehovah to search your heart and draw you! (John 6:44, 65) Now is the time to be with the people who are called by Jehovah's name! (Acts 15:14, 17, Isa. 43:7, 10, Zech 8:23)