Jehovah`s Witness/Man made doctrines

Hello sister t.

I hear the term "man made doctrines" so much here. I was wondering if you could explain to me what this means exactly? No need to read my mind as I have a little idea of what this means, but wanted some clarification from you.

Thanks Kevin.

Hello Kevin,

Man-made doctrines and traditions are ones that are taught as if they are from God but really are not.  These doctrines or teachings go contrary to what the Bible says so therefore are man made.  And they are not the wisdom that comes from above (James 3:17)

Jesus spoke of this and gave an example of it:

Matt 15:3-6 "In reply he said to them: “Why do you overstep the commandment of God because of your tradition? 4 For example, God said, ‘Honor your father and your mother,’ and, ‘Let the one who speaks abusively of his father or mother be put to death.’ 5 But you say, ‘Whoever says to his father or mother: “Whatever I have that could benefit you is a gift dedicated to God,” 6 he need not honor his father at all.’ So you have made the word of God invalid because of your tradition."

In this example the Jewish religious leaders instead of enforcing God's commandments and obeying them, they made their own.  God said to "Honor your father and your mother" and "Let the one who speaks abusively of his father or mother be put to death"  But the religious leaders were doing the opposite and teaching that one need not honor their parents at all, but whatever they had that could benefit their parents they should give as a gift dedicated to God and not to their parents.  This is what was being taught to the people, and Jesus said they were making the word of God invalid because of their tradition in doing that.  

Jesus went on to say:

Matt 15:7-9 "You hypocrites, Isaiah aptly prophesied about you when he said: 8 ‘This people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far removed from me. 9 It is in vain that they keep worshipping me, for they teach commands of men as doctrines.’”

We see that Jesus here calls them hypocrites for doing this and shows that their worship to his Father is in vain because instead of obeying God's commandments and what He taught, they would teach commands that were from themselves or from men and Jesus quoted from the Book of Isaiah where Isaiah penned Jehovah as saying:

Isaiah 29:13, "Jehovah says: “This people approaches me with their mouth And they honor me with their lips, But their heart is far removed from me; And their fear of me is based on commands of men that they have been taught."

They were twisting and perverting Jehovah's commands around which showed their hearts were far removed from Him, so instead of listening to God they were listening to men and disregarding what Jehovah said from the Bible.  

Isaiah 29:16  "How you twist things!  Should the potter be regarded the same as the clay?  Should what is made say about its maker: “He did not make me”?  And does what is formed say about its former:  “He shows no understanding”?"

Men go so far with their own doctrines that overstep Jehovah's that they in fact put God even below their level, like He isn't the Almighty Creator.  They make up their own commands, just as we see with many unscriptural teachings that are taught to the masses as if it were teachings of God but really are not.  Like the Hellfire teaching, or Jesus is Almighty God teaching, or all people have immortal souls and never really die teaching, all those are doctrines of men and not only go contrary to the Bible's teachings but contradict the Word of God and are twisted and perverse.

Take Care,

Sister T  

Jehovah`s Witness

Sister T

Please click here--> For your Free Home Bible Study

I can answer questions related to Jehovah's Witnesses and the Bible. I love learning the truth from the Bible and helping others to learn that truth as well. I don't know everything but will answer from the Bible, I like to use illustrations as well to help a person relate to what is being said. The Bible has the last say so over any person.

I am an active baptized Jehovah's Witness and Jehovah is Almighty God,(Ps. 83:18) and his Son Jesus Christ died so that everyone exercising faith in him may not be destroyed but have everlasting life. (John 3:16). I support my fellow Witnesses on this board who are real, and Jehovah's worldwide visible organization, including the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses. As God is not a God of disorder, and there could not be order if there were not ones to take the lead. Taking the lead and having a leader is not the same, our leader is Jesus Christ, and in order to have unity and order, there has to be arrangements in place. As the first century Christians had, there were men taking the lead, (Acts 6:1-6) as with Moses, (Exodus 18:21) and in our day, in following with Bible truths, we do the same. When people twist that around to us worshiping men, it is just a straight out lie! Why would the Scripture at 1 Tim. 3:1-10, 12, 13 give the criteria for men reaching out for an office of overseer if that was not meant to be? (Phil 1:1, Acts 20:17, 28, Eph. 4:11, 12, 2 Cor. 3:4-6). If we were not supposed to have men who take the lead, why was this scripture penned? James 5:14-15 "Is there anyone sick among YOU? Let him call the older men of the congregation to [him], and let them pray over him, greasing [him] with oil in the name of Jehovah. 15 And the prayer of faith will make the indisposed one well, and Jehovah will raise him up. Also, if he has committed sins, it will be forgiven him."

If you have legit questions and want to know the truth, please ask, but if you are here to spread your lies and twists of the scriptures or get your falsehoods out, you may get rejected! The truth is from the Bible, if what you say does not harmonize with the Bible then what you say is wrong! Context and other scriptures help determine scriptures that may stump us, let scripture interpret scripture. The Bible does not contradict itself, so if what you are being taught or if what you are teaching makes it seem like the Bible is contradictory, remember it's not the Bible it's the man-made teaching! Doctrines of men! Mark 7:6, 7 "He said to them: “Isaiah aptly prophesied about YOU hypocrites, as it is written, ‘This people honor me with [their] lips, but their hearts are far removed from me. 7 It is in vain that they keep worshiping me, because they teach as doctrines commands of men." (also Romans 10:2, 3)

Matthew 24:14 says "And this good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come." We are doing that today, we are living in times of Bible Prophecy and as a Jehovah's Witness, we have the privilege to be apart of a prophecy spoken by Jesus himself! The good news of the Kingdom. Ask yourself, what kingdom? then read Daniel 2:44! It's a real government. Take heed now! Listening to men over God will mean your life.(Prov 3:5,6, Ps. 146:3) A lie will never become truth, No matter how long or how many people say it or speak it. Learn what the Bible really teaches, seek out Jehovah's ways, serving God in truth is only acceptable to him,(John 4:23, 24) you can not be serving God acceptably if what you believe is a lie! Pray for understanding and ask Jehovah to search your heart and draw you! (John 6:44, 65) Now is the time to be with the people who are called by Jehovah's name! (Acts 15:14, 17, Isa. 43:7, 10, Zech 8:23)