Jehovah`s Witness/Concerning a Christian

Question
Hi Brother Abdijah,
 As a Christian, I know Satan tempts us probably more than a regular person since we are trying to live up to God's standards. But, why have some Christians been tempted to commit fprnication or adultery?
Thank you and God's speed.

Flanders

Answer
Hi Flanders

Satan uses whatever he can to tempt us, and he uses our own human weaknesses against us. The world around us is filled with all kinds of subtle and not so subtle messages.

The entertainment industry makes it seems like sex outside marriage is the normal thing to do, and more and more people are living as if that were the case. Since we live in and among these people, and in this world, some of this attitude may rub off on us. That is one reason Christians may be tempted.

Other reasons can contribute to this. Satan knows that what our eyes see can influence us greatly, even as it did the perfect Eve, the perfect angels in Noah’s day, and others. (Genesis 3:6; 6:1, 2 ) Of course in Eve’s case, it had nothing to do with sex, but that example shows the power of the eyes in temptation. It is even as it is written: “But each one is tried by being drawn out and enticed by his own desire. Then the desire, when it has become fertile, gives birth to sin; in turn, sin, when it has been accomplished, brings forth death.” — James 1:14, 15 .

A example of this works can be seen in the case of King David and Bath-Sheba. Note:
“And it came about at the return of the year, at the time that kings go on campaigns, that David proceeded to send Joab and his servants with him and all Israel, that they might bring the sons of Ammon to ruin and lay siege to Rabbah, while David stayed in Jerusalem.

And it came about at the time of evening that David proceeded to rise from his bed and walk about on the rooftop of the king’s house; and from the rooftop he caught sight of a woman bathing herself, and the woman was very beautiful. Then David sent and inquired about the woman and someone said: “Is this not Bath-sheba the daughter of Eliam the wife of Uriah the Hittite?” After that David sent messengers that he might take her. So she came in to him and he lay down with her, while she was sanctifying herself from her uncleanness. Later she returned to her house.” — 2 Samuel 11:1-4 .

Notice first of all that David was not where he was supposed to be – it was “at the time that kings go on campaigns” that “David stayed in Jerusalem.”

Then while walking on his rooftop one evening, he caught sight of a beautiful woman bathing. This was in all innocence, but he continued thinking about this rather than simply turning away and dismissing the tempting thoughts and praying to Jehovah to help him, so he gave in to that and committed adultery with her.

So we must continue to rely fully on Jehovah when tempted, and not put ourselves in situations where we may be tempted. If we find ourselves in such a situation, we must immediately leave it. It may be at work when a workmate takes an inappropriate interest in us, or in some other such circumstance.

Using myself as an example, I keep my wife’s picture on my computer at work for everyone who enters my office to see. I do not seek out the company of women at work, and when required to work with them, I frequently talk about my wife and marriage, and especially so if it is one with whom I haven’t worked before.

So, your question was, “why have some Christians been tempted to commit fornication or adultery?”

From Satan’s viewpoint, because it often works. From a human viewpoint it is because we are born with sinful inclinations, and often even Christians do not fight against these as hard as we should. Sometimes it is because of overconfidence on our part, relying on our own strength more than that of Jehovah. That is why we are warned: “So let the one who thinks he is standing beware that he does not fall. No temptation has come upon you except what is common to men. But God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear, but along with the temptation he will also make the way out so that you may be able to endure it.” — 1 Corinthians 10:12, 13 .

I hope this answered your question.

Abdijah

Jehovah`s Witness

Abdijah