Jehovah`s Witness/About marriage

Question
Hello Sister T,
What qualities do you think is necessary for a happy marriage?
Also, being a friend of God does it really protect us from immorality?

Thanks so much

Jules

Answer
Hello Jules and thank you for writing,

The best qualities that is necessary for a happy marriage would be putting each other before yourself, be forgiving, loving, loyal, along with good communication.  The Bible gives us exactly what each person, the wife and the husband, needs to do in order to have a happy and successful marriage, as Jehovah God is the one who instituted the marriage arrangement and having God in your marriage will result in it being happy.

Here are a few scriptures for both, not in any particular order:

Matthew 19:4-6 "In reply he said: “Have you not read that the one who created them from the beginning made them male and female 5 and said: ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and his mother and will stick to his wife, and the two will be one flesh’? 6 So that they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore, what God has yoked together, let no man put apart.”

1 Corinthians 10:24 "Let each one keep seeking, not his own advantage, but that of the other person."

1 Cor 11:3 "But I want you to know that the head of every man is the Christ; in turn, the head of a woman is the man; in turn, the head of the Christ is God."

Ephesians 5:22-25 "Let wives be in subjection to their husbands as to the Lord, 23 because a husband is head of his wife just as the Christ is head of the congregation, he being a savior of this body. 24 In fact, as the congregation is in subjection to the Christ, wives should also be to their husbands in everything. 25 Husbands, continue loving your wives, just as the Christ also loved the congregation and gave himself up for it,"

Ephesians 5:28-33 "In the same way husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. A man who loves his wife loves himself, 29 for no man ever hated his own body, but he feeds and cherishes it, just as the Christ does the congregation, 30 because we are members of his body. 31 “For this reason a man will leave his father and his mother and he will stick to his wife, and the two will be one flesh.” 32 This sacred secret is great. Now I am speaking about Christ and the congregation. 33 Nevertheless, each one of you must love his wife as he does himself; on the other hand, the wife should have deep respect for her husband."

Colossians 3:18-19 "You wives, be in subjection to your husbands, as it is becoming in the Lord. 19 You husbands, keep on loving your wives and do not be bitterly angry with them"

Titus 2:4,5 "so that they may advise the younger women to love their husbands, to love their children, 5 to be sound in mind, chaste, working at home, good, subjecting themselves to their own husbands, so that the word of God may not be spoken of abusively."

1 Peter 3:7 "You husbands, in the same way, continue dwelling with them according to knowledge. Assign them honor as to a weaker vessel, the feminine one, since they are also heirs with you of the undeserved favor of life, in order for your prayers not to be hindered."

1 Corinthians 7:3-5 "Let the husband give to his wife her due, and let the wife also do likewise to her husband. 4 The wife does not have authority over her own body, but her husband does; likewise, the husband does not have authority over his own body, but his wife does. 5 Do not deprive each other except by mutual consent for an appointed time, so that you may devote time to prayer and may come together again, in order that Satan may not keep tempting you for your lack of self-control."

1 Corinthians 7:10,11 "To the married people I give instructions, not I but the Lord, that a wife should not separate from her husband. 11 But if she does separate, let her remain unmarried or else be reconciled with her husband; and a husband should not leave his wife."

Hebrews 13:4 "Let marriage be honorable among all, and let the marriage bed be without defilement, for God will judge sexually immoral people and adulterers."

Ecclesiastes 9:9 "Enjoy life with your beloved wife all the days of your futile life, which He has given you under the sun, all the days of your futility, for that is your lot in life and in your hard work at which you toil under the sun."

Here are two very good articles from jw.org website on marriage along with examples:

Build a Strong and Happy Marriage:

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2015042

Let Jehovah Fortify and Safeguard Your Marriage:

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2015043

You asked if being a friend of God protects you from immorality.

When a person is a friend of God and they love God and put faith in him, they will observe God's commandments, as 1 John 5:3 states:  "For this is what the love of God means, that we observe his commandments; and yet his commandments are not burdensome,"

Jehovah God tells us from the Bible how we should conduct ourselves, and if we follow that counsel we will be protected as regards immorality because we will not commit it or want to, or put ourselves in a position that could cause such to occur.  We will not want to do anything at all that would displease our heavenly Father, this is what the fear of God means, not wanting to displease Him.  It's a reverential fear, not a morbid fear.  

Job 28:28 "And he said to man:  ‘Look! The fear of Jehovah—that is wisdom, And to turn away from bad is understanding.’”

Ecclesiastes. 12:13 "The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man."

Galatians 5:19-23 "Now the works of the flesh are plainly seen, and they are sexual immorality, uncleanness, brazen conduct, 20 idolatry, spiritism, hostility, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, dissensions, divisions, sects, 21 envy, drunkenness, wild parties, and things like these. I am forewarning you about these things, the same way I already warned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit God’s Kingdom.

22 On the other hand, the fruitage of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faith, 23 mildness, self-control. Against such things there is no law."

1 Corinthians 6:9,10 "Or do you not know that unrighteous people will not inherit God’s Kingdom? Do not be misled. Those who are sexually immoral, idolaters, adulterers, men who submit to homosexual acts, men who practice homosexuality, 10 thieves, greedy people, drunkards, revilers, and extortioners will not inherit God’s Kingdom."

God wants everyone to learn the truth about Him and become his friend, just as Abraham was God's friend.

James 2:23 "and the scripture was fulfilled that says: “Abraham put faith in Jehovah, and it was counted to him as righteousness,” and he came to be called Jehovah’s friend."

John 17:3  "This means everlasting life, their coming to know you, the only true God, and the one whom you sent, Jesus Christ."

Proverbs 3:5,6  "Trust in Jehovah with all your heart, And do not rely on your own understanding. 6 In all your ways take notice of him, And he will make your paths straight."

Matthew 22:37-39  "He said to him: “‘You must love Jehovah your God with your whole heart and with your whole soul and with your whole mind.’ 38 This is the greatest and first commandment. 39 The second, like it, is this: ‘You must love your neighbor as yourself.’"

2 Timothy 2:19  "...the solid foundation of God remains standing, having this seal, “Jehovah knows those who belong to him,” and, “Let everyone calling on the name of Jehovah renounce unrighteousness.”

Jehovah's Witnesses can teach you the truth about Jehovah and his loving qualities from the Bible that will help you to see that God truly is Love!  Learning about him will help you to grow to love him and cherish a loyal friendship with Jehovah God, the sovereign of the Universe!

We offer free home Bible studies to interested ones at a time and place convenient for you, and in the language of your choice.  No obligation...

https://www.jw.org/en/free-bible-study/

Take Care

Sister T

jw.org  

Jehovah`s Witness

Sister T