Jehovah`s Witness/Matthew 12:40

Hello again Derrick, hope you are well.

So today I asked Jw 'A' about how it was possible that Jonah could survive for three days in the belly of a whale and things went sideways as usual. Instead of a simple answer that I would expect and kinda know already I got the same rant from his beliefs. He insisted that Jonah was able to live because he was in fact in the lungs and not the belly of the whale or great fish.  That's not how I remembered it and went on to point out the physical limitations of this. Instead of saying that God made it possible for him to survive in this environment, he tried to reason that he was actually in the lungs where there was oxygen. Now I'm no marine biologist, but when one is ingested through the mouth you don't go into the lungs. I since re checked what the bible says about this and to no surprise, my memory was correct. My point here is how deluded his thinking is and how he feels he can spin any verse so justify his superior bible knowledge or even recollection of what the scriptures say.

He also pointed out when asked about the bodily resurrection of Jesus that Paul? said that He was 'resurrected' in spirit. I corrected him that Paul never used the word 'resurrected' and how that is much different than being made alive or quickened in spirit. He said he was just paraphrasing and didn't see the difference.

I asked him again about Hebrews 10: 26 being the basis of sins not being forgiven. He didn't budge and maintained that was an apt verse to prove his statement. He went on to say that denying Jesus would negate ones chance for forgiveness. Since he supposedly doesn't deny Jesus I asked why getting a blood transfusion or even smoking would not be forgiven? He remained silent as usual when asked a question that requires thought.

Just thought I'd share some examples of how one of many jws think and how flawed their logic is at times.

Thanks again and God bless you and yours.

Good evening, Kevin.  How are things going for you?

I am literally amazed that your JW co-worker would tell you that Jonah was in the lungs, and not the belly, of the whale.  I mean, did Jesus just not know the difference between the two, even though He is the Creator?

Here is what Jesus said, about Jonah's location....

Matthew 12:40-  "For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth."

I think that's pretty clear.  Too bad that JW "A" wasn't there to correct Jesus' misunderstanding of whale anatomy.

Its like you said...He is deluded in his thinking, that he can twist, turn, and put his own spin on any verse, just to supposedly prove his great Bible "wisdom".

Fact is, twisting the Scriptures in this manner, is completely unwarranted....and unnecessary.  I too believe the Biblical account of Jonah, and apparently, Jesus did too...because He referenced it as a historical fact.  I have my own ideas about what it was that actually swallowed Jonah, due to the fact that only a few creatures would have the capacity in their stomach to do such a thing.  However, there is no question in my mind, that the preservation of Jonah's life in the whale's belly, was an act of God.  Of that, I have no doubt.  Nor do I have any problem believing it happened, because God was not done with Jonah, and had a plan that Jonah was not going to get out of fulfilling.

Now that being said, there are some individuals (both JW, and even in my own faith), who believe that Jonah actually died in the whale's belly, and was resurrected.  I do not hold to that view myself, but some do.  Regardless, Jonah was simply not going to outsmart God, or get out of fulfilling what he had been commanded to do.

But for him to try and explain it by changing what the Scripture plainly says, was completely unnecessary.  

Now, about the resurrection issue....Again, a complete misunderstanding of what the Bible says.  Paul never once denied that Jesus' was raised in a glorified, physical body.  To have done so, would have been to call Jesus a liar, because Jesus Himself clearly verified that this was a fact.  Paul DID say that Jesus was raised a "spiritual" body, and became a "life giving spirit".  First off, "spiritual" does not mean....non-fleshly, or immaterial.  I know of many people whom I regard as "spiritual"....That doesn't mean they are disembodied spirits, walking around without fleshly bodies.

1 Cor. 2:14-15-  "But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man."

I don't think the fact that people who are called "spiritual", means that they don't have physical bodies.

Of course our resurrected bodies are "spiritual"....The are in a glorified state, and they do not feel pain, get tired, wear out, or grow old.  They are still comprised of flesh, however.  According to the Scriptures, that is.

You know, there really should not even be a debate, about the nature of Jesus' resurrected body.  If everyone was simply content to believe the Bible, and not impose their own doctrine into it, there would not even be a discussion on this point.  Jesus could not have been more clear....

Luke 24:36-39-  ""And as they thus spake, Jesus himself stood in the midst of them, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.

But they were terrified and affrighted, and supposed that they had seen a spirit.

And he said unto them, Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts?

Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have."

Let's read it again, especially v. 39....

"Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have."

And one more time....

I really don't see why that is so hard to understand.  We have a crystal clear account, of the resurrected Christ, TELLING US that His body was flesh and bones, and NOT a mere spirit.  Why would anyone want to argue with Jesus, about His own body?

Think of it, Kevin....If the WT teaching is true, that Jesus was resurrected as a mere spirit, then the disciples were ALREADY correct in their assumption, that He was a spirit.  They already had it right.  So, WHY CORRECT THEM, and MAKE A FALSE STATEMENT to deceive them, no less?  Is that the character of Jesus Christ?  I don't think so.  Why correct them, if they had it right to begin with?

Now, aside from the fact that we have a crystal clear statement from the mouth of Jesus Himself, regarding the fact that His resurrected body was flesh, there is another problem here.  And that problem is, how do JWs EXPLAIN the absence of Jesus' body from the tomb?

Why, simple....They say it was "dissolved", or "disintegrated".  

Uhm, Scripture please....

Bottom line....They will not believe or accept what Jesus DID say about it, and what has been plainly recorded in the Scripture for us to read, but they will accept some statement that His body was "dissolved/disintegrated", when there is NO Scripture anywhere, that even hints at such a thing.

You know, I get amused when Rando claims that he has asked me to provide him a Scripture that states God is 3 in one.  First off, Rando has sent me any such question at all.  But perhaps Rando would like to give us one Scripture, that speaks of Jesus' body being dissolved?  I'm anxious to see it, if such exists. Surely he wouldn't accept such an idea, in the absence of any Scripture to support it.

And his twisting of Hebrews 10:26, is just downright silly.  There is no possible way that a sane person could read that Scripture, and walk away thinking it says that "some sins are unforgivable", when it clearly is speaking of those who ultimately reject the shed blood of Jesus Christ.

Like you said....This guy seems to put any spin on the Scripture that he wants to, like it was designed for him to misuse for his own agenda, or something.  And it seems that your perfectly logical question, silenced him.  Which is how it should be.  If a person is going to twist the Scripture for their own convenience, then they SHOULD be called on it.

Again, thanks for writing, and sharing these examples.  It seems the mindset is the same, with so many of them, that don't even know each other.  Its truly amazing.  

Jehovah`s Witness

Derrick Holland

I was raised in the religion known as Jehovah`s Witnesses for 13 years. Since becoming a born-again Christian, I have researched extensively this religion, especially their doctrines and their history. I can answer questions about their doctrines from the perspective of Biblical Christianity. To be clear: Jehovahs Witnesses is the religion of my upbringing, though I myself was never baptized into the religion, nor have I ever been considered as a Jehovahs Witness.

29 years of Biblical research into the fundamental doctrines of the Christian faith, and how they differ from the teachings of the Watchtower.

I would advise each questioner to this forum, to carefully READ the profiles of the various volunteers. There are several such as myself, who are not practicing JWs, but will provide you with an accurate and honest answer, regarding JW teaching. If we don't know the answer, we will try to research and get it for you. There are also some excellent practicing JWs here, who also endeavor to give you a factual and honest answer, based on their point of view. I believe by getting both points of view, the questioner can weigh the evidence for themselves, and make an informed decision. Unfortunately, there are also 3 here who claim to be JWs, but do NOT give honest, or well-researched answers. They will tell you only what they want you to believe, and they often hide facts about the history of their religion, as well as print untruths about other people's beliefs. This is done in an attempt to deceive the unsuspecting reader. It can be easily seen who these 3 are, simply by reading the public posts and "answers" which they write. Their posts will normally be filled with personal attacks, and if you question them about some teaching or aspect of the Watchtower that makes them uncomfortable, they will often reject your question, question your motives for asking it, tell you that you have been reading "apostate" sites, or turn the conversation into an attack on another expert. These ones are better avoided, as there is nothing to be gained by way of positive discussion, as they are not interested in intelligent conversation, or honest dialogue. If after reading the forum, you still have any questions as to who they are, just ask me, and I will be happy to tell you. And I can also provide documentation of their willful dishonesty. One thing is for a forum where people from both sides claim to be "Christians", there should never be any willful lying. Such ones only create a distraction in the forum, and provide nothing of any real value.

High School, some college. Studies of God's Word, the Bible, and how it compares to JW theology. I have found my own personal study and experiences to be far more valuable than any formal education or training. The Bible message is clear...Salvation is ONLY through and by the shed blood of Jesus Christ, and no religious organization has a thing to do with it. While attendance at a Bible-preaching, Bible-believing church is a must for spiritual growth and fellowship, no church can grant salvation to its members. Nor is joining a particular group a prerequisite for being saved.