Jehovah`s Witness/Witnessing to Witnesses

Question
QUESTION: Hello Mr Holland. First I would like to encourage you by saying that your presence here in this forum is powerful. God is using you in a very awesome way.

I am a born again Christian and would like some insight as to how to witness to witnesses. I have been having a "bible discussion" with 2 JW's every Wednesday for the past 3months or so. Please note that I do not take part in a "bible study" from the JW's. They know full well that its a friendly discussion about our different beliefs.

The next discussion is "who is Jesus". I would really appreciate your input and of course scriptures.

I always pray and give each session over to God first and for Him to minister to them.

And since 3months ago God has placed a real burning desire in me to reach the JW's.

A good friend of mine has also accepted the JW religion about a month ago.

My heart just goes out to these people. Dont they know that there is freedom in Jesus Christ? They claim to "know" Jesus Yet their version of Jesus is Michael the Archangel. My Jesus has been here for all eternity.

Thanks Mr Holland. I truly appreciate your input.

ANSWER: Good afternoon, Miss M.  How are you?  It is a pleasure to hear from you, and thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement.  It is my strongest desire to be used of God to bring others to Christ, and to help Christians defend our faith from the Scriptures.  There is truly no greater honor, than to be used of God to help someone.

I also want to commend you on your desire to sit down with JWs, and have respectful, and Scriptural dialogue.  Too many Christians try to avoid JWs and discussions with them, and I am glad that you have a burden for them, and are willing to take the time to try and show them the truth of Jesus Christ.

I can sense your burden for them, just by reading your comments.  I am sure it must've been hard for you, to see a close friend join up with them, but just continue to pray for them, and believe that God is able to use you to show them the truth.  And you are correct....There IS freedom in Jesus Christ.  I am so thankful that I know Him in a personal way, and that an Organization has nothing to do with it.  

You are correct that the JW version of Jesus, is that He is supposedly Michael the Archangel.  First and foremost, if you have that discussion with your JW acquaintances, make them sit down and read Hebrews chapter 1.  The entire chapter completely demolishes the idea that Jesus is Michael the archangel, or ANY angel, for that matter.  He is actually contrasted with the angels, and in verse 6, we see God the Father commanding ALL of the angels to worship Jesus.  

Ask these JWs if it makes sense to them, that God would command His angels to worship another angel....or anyone but Him, for that matter?

Of course, they will object to that by point out that THEIR "bible" doesn't say "worship", but rather, "do obeisance".  However, you can point out to them that the 1970 edition of their own New World Translation, rendered this verse as "“And let all of God’s angels worship him."

So, they changed their own Bible, in order to make it fit with their teaching.

But the entire theme of Hebrews chapter 1, shows the superiority of Jesus Christ, to the angels.  In fact, He is called "God" in verse 8, by the Father Himself!  And immediately after that in verse 10, He is clearly identified as the Creator of the heavens and the earth.

Heb. 1:10-  "And, Thou, Lord, in the beginning hast laid the foundation of the earth; and the heavens are the works of thine hands:"

This harmonizes with what is said of Jesus, in John 1:3...."All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made."

and...

Colossians 1:16-17-  "For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

And he is before all things, and by him all things consist."

So, there is no question that Jesus Christ is clearly identified as the Creator.  JWs usually try to explain this, by claiming that Jehovah created Jesus, and then Jesus created everything else....Sort of a "Junior Partner" in creation, so to speak.

But that is problematic, because we also have Scripture showing that Jehovah alone is the Creator....

Isaiah 44:24-  "Thus saith the LORD, thy redeemer, and he that formed thee from the womb, I am the LORD that maketh all things; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that spreadeth abroad the earth by myself;"

Its tough to reconcile this Scripture where Jehovah says He created all things BY HIMSELF, with the claim that Jehovah only created Jesus, and then left the rest of the creating work to Jesus.

Of course, the only real alternative here, is what we already know...That Jesus is God.  That would solve the dilemma, would it not?

In the course of your discussion about the Person of Jesus Christ, you are sure to hear them say that Jesus is "a god", but not "the Almighty God".  But again, this goes contrary to the Scriptures, for the Bible teaches that there are NO other true "Gods".  In fact, Jehovah Himself says there are no "gods" besides Him.

Isaiah 44:6-  "Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God."

Isaiah 44:8-  "Fear ye not, neither be afraid: have not I told thee from that time, and have declared it? ye are even my witnesses. Is there a God beside me? yea, there is no God; I know not any."

If Jehovah created another "god" (Jesus), then doesn't it make sense that He would "know" it? Yet, the above verse says He knows of NO other God besides Him.

Deut. 32:39-  "See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me..."

Again, there is simply no way to harmonize the JW teaching with the Scripture.  So, the JW teaching about Jesus being a created "god", just doesn't add up.

These are excellent Scriptures which illustrate the fact that the Jesus of the Bible, is not a created angel/god, but is the God and Creator of the universe!  

There are so many passages which point to this, but I will give you a few for now, in the interest of not making it so long that it takes you hours to read it....lol.  But let me give you another set of passages that I like, which I think makes the point even stronger.  These passages have to do with the question of "WHO is the Savior??  God, or Jesus??"

"WHO IS THE SAVIOR"?

The Savior is God....

1 Tim 4:10-  "For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men..."

The Savior is Jesus....

2 Tim. 1:10-  "But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel:"

The Savior is God....

Titus 1:3-  "But hath in due times manifested his word through preaching, which is committed unto me according to the commandment of God our Saviour;"

The Savior is Jesus, in the very next verse....

Titus 1:4-  "To Titus, mine own son after the common faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ our Saviour."

The Savior is God....

Titus 2:10-  "Not purloining, but shewing all good fidelity; that they may adorn the doctrine of God our Saviour in all things."

The Savior is Jesus, just 2 verses later....

Titus 2:12-  "Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ"

(And according to that verse, Jesus is God, as well as Savior.  Maybe that's why the verses go back and forth, referring to the Savior, as "God", and "Jesus"?

But let's read on....

The Savior is God....

Titus 3:4-  "But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared,"

Titus 3:6-  "Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour;"

However....There is only ONE Savior!

Isaiah 43:11-  "I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour."

These are some good Scriptures, for starters, to bring up in your conversation with these JWs, on the Person of Jesus Christ.

Let me know how it goes, and if I can assist you any further.  And again, thank you so much for writing with your kind and encouraging words.  I will be praying for you, that God will use you mightily, to bring JWs to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ.

Take care, and may God richly bless you and yours.

Derrick

QUESTION: Thank you Mr. Holland. We had our "discussion" on Wednesday but they didn't want to go into great detail meaning they didn't want to delve into scripture. They were just reading from their book called "what does the bible really teach." However, they said next week we will delve into scripture and compare.

They say that they can show me where the bible talks about "sons of God" and tying that in with Michael being Jesus. Do you know where its written in scripture and how they even get the idea that Michael is Jesus from those passages about "sons of God?"

They do not believe that the WT ever claimed to be a prophet. However they are interested in reading their own material. They didn't know that they use to worship Jesus. I pointed them to some of their material and they researched it. So as you can see these JW's are willing to find out from their own literature. I guess I'd like some references to the old literature from the WT to give them so they can research for themselves about the WT claiming to be a prophet of God. Even if you gave me a link to that information, that would be perfectly fine.

They also said that they're going to show me why they rendered John 1:1 to "a god." If there is any information you can provide on that it would be greatly appreciated or even a link would be fine.

However, on a good note, my friend that had accepted the JW religion is thinking about being born again. God is so good! I've been praying for her and all I can say is that God showed her something and she now sees the JW's for what and who they really are. Although I will still keep her in my prayers.

Thanks in advance for your time Mr. Holland.

Answer
Hello, Miss M.  As promised, I will try to answer the questions you have asked about JW teachings.  Thank you for your patience and understanding, and I hope you find these answers helpful in your discussions.

You said...."We had our "discussion" on Wednesday but they didn't want to go into great detail meaning they didn't want to delve into scripture. They were just reading from their book called "what does the bible really teach." However, they said next week we will delve into scripture and compare."

Its interesting that they would rather study one of their books with you, rather than the Scriptures themselves.  Not surprising, but interesting.  Seems to me that the best way to see "What does the Bible really teach?", would be to read the Bible.  Sounds a little like they were stalling a bit, to give themselves time to find an answer to some of your questions.

You asked...."They say that they can show me where the bible talks about "sons of God" and tying that in with Michael being Jesus. Do you know where its written in scripture and how they even get the idea that Michael is Jesus from those passages about "sons of God?"

To begin with, let's be clear....There is NO SCRIPTURE anywhere that they can give you, that specifically identifies Michael the Archangel, as Jesus Christ!  Not one.  You can ask and ask and ask to see one, and they will not be able to produce such a passage.  The doctrine is derived from interpretations of a few texts, rather than direct statements from the text itself.  

Their main basis for thinking that Jesus is Michael, is normally found in 1 Thess. 4:16, which reads....

"For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:"

This is probably their strongest Scripture, but even it doesn't help them much, because they have to make an ASSUMPTION....that the phrase "with the voice of the archangel" , means that Jesus is the One doing the shouting, and since Jesus is shouting with the archangel's voice, then He MUST be the Archangel.  

Of course, it also says that Jesus comes "WITH the trump of God" , but they do not believe that this makes Him God.  But they can't have it both ways.

Actually, the word "with" commonly means "accompanied by".  I do not go to Wal Mart "WITH" myself....I go "WITH" my wife.  By the same token, Jesus' coming in the rapture will be announced by a loud shout from Michael the Archangel.  Just like when the President is introduced before giving a speech with "Ladies and Gentlemen, the President of the United States" , or when a Judge enters the coutroom, we hear "All rise, for the honorable...." .  Likewise, the coming of the King of Kings for His saints, will be announced by a shout from the chief angel.

There is nothing in this verse that would prove that Jesus is the One doing the shouting.

Now, as for a reference that they made about "sons of God", and tying that in with Michael being Jesus, I'm not really sure.  One Scripture that I have heard used before, mentions the phrase "Son of God", in conjunction with Michael.  

John 5:25-  "Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live."

I'm not sure if that is the one they were referring to, or not.  If not, let me know after your next discussion, which Scripture they use.

Also, this doctrine rests upon a lot of "maybe"s, and a lot of "Well, it seems reasonable", rather than any direct statements from Scripture.  Unlike those of us who believe that Jesus is God, because we CAN point to direct Scriptures, identifying Jesus as God.  They cannot point to any, which identify Jesus Christ as Michael.

To illustrate this, I will copy and paste an "explanation" that I found online, from a JW, on this very subject.  Its a bit long, so bear with me.  But it will give a pretty thorough summary as to why they believe this, and what Scriptures you might anticipate them using.

I quote....

"The spirit creature called Michael is not mentioned often in the Bible. However, when he is referred to, he is in action. In the book of Daniel, Michael is battling wicked angels; in the letter of Jude, he is disputing with Satan; and in Revelation, he is waging war with the Devil and his demons. By defending Jehovah’s rulership and fighting God’s enemies, Michael lives up to the meaning of his name—“Who Is Like God?” But who is Michael?

At times, individuals are known by more than one name. For example, the patriarch Jacob is also known as Israel, and the apostle Peter, as Simon (Genesis 49:1, 2; Matthew 10:2).

Likewise, the Bible indicates that Michael is another name for Jesus Christ, both before and after his life on earth.

Let us consider Scriptural reasons for drawing that conclusion.

Archangel. God’s Word refers to Michael as “the archangel.” (Jude 9) This term means “chief angel.” Notice that Michael is called the archangel. This suggests that there is only one such angel (the head and chief of ALL the heavenly army of angelic beings). In fact, the term “archangel” occurs in the Bible only in the singular, never in the plural. Moreover, Jesus is linked with the office of archangel. Regarding the resurrected Lord Jesus Christ, 1 Thessalonians 4:16 states: “The Lord himself will descend from heaven with a commanding call, with an archangel’s voice.” Thus the voice of Jesus is described as being that of an archangel. This scripture therefore suggests that Jesus himself is in fact the archangel Michael.

Army Leader. The Bible states that “Michael and his angels battled with the dragon . . . and its angels.” (Revelation 12:7) Thus, Michael is the Leader of an army of faithful angels. Revelation also describes Jesus as the Leader of an army of faithful angels (Revelation 19:14-16). And the apostle Paul specifically mentions “the Lord Jesus” and “his powerful angels.” at 2 Thessalonians 1:7.

So the Bible speaks of both Michael and “his angels” and Jesus and “his angels.” (Matthew 13:41; 16:27; 24:31; 1 Peter 3:22) Since God’s Word absolutely nowhere indicates that there are two armies of faithful angels in heaven—one headed by Michael and one headed by Jesus—it is logical to conclude that Michael is none other than Jesus Christ in his heavenly role.

Again, Michael is the only holy angel other than Gabriel *named in the Bible*, and the only one called “archangel.” (Jude 9) The first occurrence of the name "Michael" is found in the tenth chapter of Daniel, where Michael is described as “one of the foremost princes”; he came to the aid of a lesser angel who was opposed by “the prince of the royal realm of Persia” (a demon). Michael was called “the prince of [Daniel’s] people,” “the great prince who is standing in behalf of the sons of [Daniel’s] people.” (Daniel 10:13, 20, 21; 12:1) This points to Michael as the angel who led the Israelites through the wilderness. (Exodus 23:20, 21, 23; 32:34; 33:2)

Lending support to this conclusion is the fact that “Michael the archangel had a difference with the Devil and was disputing about Moses’ body.”—Jude 9.

Scriptural evidence indicates that the name Michael applied to God’s Son before he left heaven to become Jesus Christ and also after his return to heaven. As already stated, Michael is the only one said to be “the archangel,” meaning “chief angel,” or “principal angel.” The term occurs in the Bible only in the singular. This seems to imply that there is but only one whom God has designated chief, or head, of the angelic host. Also as already stated, at 1 Thessalonians 4:16 the voice of the resurrected Lord Jesus Christ is described as being that of an archangel, suggesting that he is, in fact, himself the archangel. This text depicts him as descending from heaven with “a commanding call.” It is only logical, therefore, that the voice expressing this commanding call be described by a word that would not diminish or detract from the great authority that Christ Jesus now has as King of kings and Lord of lords. (Mt 28:18; Re 17:14) If the designation “archangel” applied, not to Jesus Christ, but to other angels, then the reference to “an archangel’s voice” would not be appropriate. In that case it would be describing a voice of lesser authority than that of the Son of God.

There are also other correspondencies establishing that Michael is in fact actually the only begotten Son of God. Daniel, after making the first reference to Michael (Daniel 10:13), recorded a prophecy reaching down to “the time of the end” (Daniel 11:40) and then stated: “And during that time Michael will stand up, the great prince who is standing in behalf of the sons of [Daniel’s] people.” (Daniel 12:1) Michael’s ‘standing up’ was to be associated with “a time of distress such as has not been made to occur since there came to be a nation until that time.” (Daniel 12:1) In Daniel’s prophecy, ‘standing up’ frequently refers to the action of a king, either taking up his royal power or acting effectively in his capacity as king. (Daniel 11:2-4, 7, 16b, 20, 21)

This supports the conclusion that Michael is Jesus Christ, since Jesus is in fact Jehovah’s appointed King, commissioned to destroy all the nations at Har–Magedon.—Rev 11:15; 16:14-16.

The book of Revelation (12:7, 10, 12) specifically mentions Michael in connection with the establishment of God’s Kingdom and links this event with trouble for the earth: “And war broke out in heaven: Michael and his angels battled with the dragon, and the dragon and its angels battled. And I heard a loud voice in heaven say: ‘Now have come to pass the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God and the authority of his Christ, because the accuser of our brothers has been hurled down . . . On this account be glad, you heavens and you who reside in them! Woe for the earth and for the sea.’” Jesus Christ is later depicted as leading the heavenly armies in war against the nations of the earth. (Rev 19:11-16) This would mean a period of distress for them, which would logically be included in the “time of distress” that is associated with Michael’s standing up. (Daniel 12:1) Since the only begotten Son of God is to fight the nations, it is only reasonable that he was the one who with his angels earlier battled against the superhuman dragon, Satan the Devil, and his angels.

In his prehuman existence Jesus was called “the Word.” (Joh 1:1) However, he also had the personal name Michael. By retaining the name Jesus after his resurrection (Ac 9:5), “the Word” shows that he is identical with the Son of God on earth. His resuming his heavenly name Michael and his title (or name) “The Word of God” (Re 19:13) ties him in with his prehuman existence.

The very name Michael, asking as it does, “Who Is Like God?” points to the fact that Almighty Jehovah God is without like, or equal, and that Michael his archangel (Chief Angel) is his great Champion or Vindicator.

All of the aforementioned is where we who are Jehovah's Witnesses derive the doctrine that Jesus was and now is Michael the Archangel."

END QUOTE:

Of course, it is not true that the Bible states there is only 1 archangel.  In fact, Michael is listed as one of several equals.

Dan. 10:13-  "But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me one and twenty days: but, lo, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me; and I remained there with the kings of Persia."

Notice that it does not say that Michael is unique, or in a class by himself, but rather that he is ONE OF the chief princes.  This would be an indication that there are more like him.

And verse 21 of the same chapter, reads....

Dan 10:21-  "But I will shew thee that which is noted in the scripture of truth: and there is none that holdeth with me in these things, but Michael your prince."

This would be an indication that Michael is the chief prince assigned to the nation of Israel.  But certainly not the only "chief prince" in existence.

Contrasted with Jesus in Hebrews chapter 1, we see that ALL of God's angels are commanded to worship the Lord Jesus Christ.

Heb. 1:6-  "And again, when he bringeth in the firstbegotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him."

God the Father does not command His angels to worship another angel.  In fact, Michael himself would be included in the words "ALL God's angels", and Michael himself is commanded to worship the Lord Jesus Christ.  

You asked...."They do not believe that the WT ever claimed to be a prophet. However they are interested in reading their own material. They didn't know that they use to worship Jesus. I pointed them to some of their material and they researched it. So as you can see these JW's are willing to find out from their own literature. I guess I'd like some references to the old literature from the WT to give them so they can research for themselves about the WT claiming to be a prophet of God. Even if you gave me a link to that information, that would be perfectly fine."

The Watchtower certainly HAS claimed to be a prophet.  Now, some Witnesses will object to this, and show you were the Watchtower said that they do not "have the gift of prophecy" .  Fact is, the WT has both CLAIMED to be a prophet, and also DENIED being a prophet....Just depending on which stance is necessary at the time.  If it means proving their authority to speak for Jehovah God, then they will claim to be his prophet.  If someone is showing all of the many prophetic blunders and false predictions, then they will also deny being a prophet.  

I can provide some quotes to this effect, by way of links.

https://carm.org/religious-movements/jehovahs-witnesses/jehovahs-witness-organization-prophet-god

And this next one is very thorough....

http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/jehovahs-prophet.php

Now, I want to borrow one of the quotes from that 2nd link, to make an interesting point about how the WT tries to operate under 2 sets of standards....One for themselves, and one for everyone else.

Here is the quote I am referring to, and it deals with when OTHER groups have falsely predicted a date for the time of the end.

They said...""True, there have been those in times past who predicted an "end to the world," even announcing a specific date. Yet nothing happened. The "end" did not come. They were guilty of false prophesying. Why? What was missing?

Missing from such people were God's truths and the evidence that he was guiding and using them." Awake! 1968 Oct 8 p.23

Now, I find this quite interesting, given the countless discussions I have had with JWs, on this very topic.  There are many dates that can be mentioned in a discussion with JWs, as to when their Organization had either predicted, or implied, that the end would come, or of an event that was supposed to take place.  

To date, the WT has a 100% rate of failure, for dates predicted.  And you may not know this, Sister, but the latest date of failure, was this past Friday, April 3rd.  Now to be fair, the WT itself did not make this prediction.  However, several Witnesses from THIS BOARD (past and present), bought into it completely, thinking they had some sort of special insight that most other Witnesses did not possess.  

About 2 years ago, some speculation begin to be discussed from some of the Witnesses here, about the blood moons, and a 40 year pattern revealed in Scriptures.  They even formed their own little private chat room, and one of the Witnesses gave me the link to view the discussions.  And these people narrowed down the "end", to be April 3rd, 2015.  And lest there be any doubt about WHEN, we were told it would be at 11:00 a.m.

Needless to say, they missed it.  We're still here.

But the WT Organization itself, has had many false predictions, regarding certain dates.  And here is the point I am wanting to make about that....When you mention these failures, and call the WT a false prophet, they will say that merely making a prediction about a certain date, does not make them false prophets.  It just means that they misinterpreted what the Bible said, or that they had a wrong understanding, and that this is proof that they have "new light", and that Jehovah is really behind this Organization.

To me, it is literally amazing that falsely predicting dates for the end times, is somehow proof that Jehovah is leading and guiding them.  

But unfortunately, OTHER groups are afforded no such privileges.  In fact, in the quote I just gave you from them, when OTHER groups falsely predict a date for the end, they are in fact, FALSE PROPHETS.  And the false prediction is said to be proof, that God is not using them, or leading them.

But why the double standard?  Why is it that the WT itself is not a false prophet, merely for predicting dates for the end, and even when they do so, they STILL claim that Jehovah is leading and guiding them?  But others can be labeled as "false prophets", for predicting dates for the end, and this is somehow proof that God is NOT using them?

This would be a good subject to discuss with them, and a good question to ask.  I hope the quotes in these 2 links, are helpful.

You asked...."They also said that they're going to show me why they rendered John 1:1 to "a god." If there is any information you can provide on that it would be greatly appreciated or even a link would be fine."

Yes, it would be good if I can provide you links for this topic, as it is very extensive.  

The biggest problem with the "a god" rendering, is that it contradicts not only other Scriptures (like the ones I gave in my first reply, where Jehovah flatly says there are NO other "gods" with Him), but also the context of John chapter 1 itself.

Consider the first 3 verses....

John 1:1-3-  "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

The same was in the beginning with God.

All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made."

And verse 10...."He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not."

Now, there is no doubt whatsoever, that these verses clearly identify the Word (Jesus), as the Creator of the world, and in fact, the Creator of ALL things.  NOTHING was made with Him.  He created all things that exist, including the world that He came into.  That is easy to see, just from a simple reading of the text.

Now, back to verse 1.  The Word, Who is later said to have made ALL things, and to have MADE the world, was "in the beginning" WITH God.  Now, what did Jehovah say again, about the existence of "a god" who was WITH Him?

This....

So, if Jehovah Himself says that there is NO OTHER GOD WITH HIM , then how could the Word be "a god", who was WITH" Him in the beginning?  A blatant contradiction!  

Also, if Jesus (the Word) is the One Who MADE ALL THINGS, and NOTHING was made without Him, then what of this verse?......

It simply doesn't fit, does it?  Either Jesus is the Creator, or He isn't.  And John says that He is.  Yet, Isaiah records Jehovah saying that He ALONE is the Creator.

Also, the wording of John 1:1, is perfectly consistent with the doctrine of the Trinity.  The Trinity teaching is that there is one God, Who is revealed in 3 distinct Persons.  If the Persons are distinct, then it is certainly appropriate to say that the Word (the Son) was WITH God (the Father), and that the Word Himself is also God.  The Word possesses the same nature as the Father, and is equally God by nature, although with a different role.  Their nature and essence is the same.

When a person or group tries to take a simple passage like John 1:1, and retranslate it to make it fit their doctrine, it only creates more problems than it solves.  And in my opinion, that is exactly what the WT position does with this verse.  Their interpretation contradicts, not only the context of John 1 itself, but also several other passages or Scriptures, as stated above.

Now, a couple of links....

http://www.christiananswers.net/q-acb/acb-r001.html

https://carm.org/religious-movements/jehovahs-witnesses/john-11-word-was-god

And for a more technical explanation, please see....

http://www.ntgreek.org/answers/answer-frame-john1_1.htm

In closing, I am happy to hear that your friend is reconsidering.  Hopefully she will come to salvation through faith in the shed blood of Jesus Christ, and will know what it truly means to have a relationship with the Savior.  That was a fast turn-around, I must say.  Glad to hear it.

I hope this answer helps, and I will be praying for you in your discussions.  

Jehovah`s Witness

Derrick Holland