Jehovah`s Witness/Eternal vs. Conditional security

Question
Greetings Abdijah,

I have recently completed a very lengthy study on Eternal Security (Once Saved, Always Saved) vs. Conditional Security (losing one's salvation).  One of the fascinating things that I learned in my research is that both sides have scripture to back up their beliefs, however it is extremely rare for one side to recognize and affirm the other side's scripture.  Basically, I often see each side say, "Your scripture is trumped by my scripture".  Since ALL scripture is profitable for reproof, correction, and teaching, I made every effort to bring the two together, and I have hit a point in which I need more JW perspective.  And so, I appreciate if you would offer your thoughts.

The problem with Once Saved, Always Saved (OSAS) is that many people misuse it to state that they did something one day, achieved salvation, and have no further need to continue in their faith because they are stamped for approval.  This is not scriptural.

The problem with conditional security is that people can never really know that they they are saved.  This isn't scriptural either.

The Bible clearly indicates that one must believe AND repent AND that true belief and repentance will last through the rest of one's life.

So, here is my question.  If OSAS were really defined as a person truly believing and repenting and that this belief and repentance lasted for the rest of their life, and were further defined to say that if a person who did not have life-long belief and repentance were never truly saved to begin with, why would OSAS be incorrect?

I have carefully studied all the scriptures used in your reference books, and none seem to address this statement.  They all indicate that one can fall away or be cut out, but true believers of OSAS are okay with that because those people who fall away or are cut out were never actually saved.  Even the most notable verses (Heb. 6:4-6) can be interpreted this way in context.

I guess I am just looking to see where my studies could have possibly taken a wrong turn.  Can you please help me address this?

Answer
Hello Richard.

I have thought of this subject in the past, but never in the interesting manner in which you have phrased it.

I also see where both sides have Scriptures that seem to support their point of view. Jesus stated twice that ‘the one who endures to the end WILL BE saved.’ (Matthew 10:22; 24:13) This would either be the end of their life or of this system of things, whichever comes first.

So a person “gets saved” now from this world, but they can always go back, and so are not saved into the New World nor get eternal life. We can read a good example of this in Jude verses 3 & 5 below:

“3 Beloved ones, although I was making every effort to write you about the salvation we hold in common, I found it necessary to write you to urge you to put up a hard fight for the faith that was once for all time delivered to the holy ones. …
5 Although you are fully aware of all of this, I want to remind you that Jehovah, having saved a people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed those not showing faith.”

So as long as we remain faithful, we are in a saved condition.

Abdijah

Jehovah`s Witness

Abdijah