Jehovah`s Witness/Jesus

Is it true that Jesus never ceased to exist but was alive preaching to the spirit in Sheol as explained by Richard?  If not, wouldn't that be lying?  Why do you associate with those who slander Holy Spirit by telling lies?

Hello DeDe

Thank you for your question.

I had a look through recent comments to find out what Richrd had presented.  I understand that he was giving the  Baptists religions point of view as to what “hell” actually is.  His explanation from a Baptist point of view is at

The part that you are interested in is as follows.

5.We believe that Jesus went to Sheol went he died (Eph. 4:8-10), proclaimed to the imprisoned spirits while He was there (1 Peter 3:8), and with His ascension Jesus led the righteous from Abraham’s bosom in Sheol to heaven (Eph. 4:8). At this point, we believe that all who are deemed righteous and whose names are written in the Book of Life will go to heaven as Paul expected in 2 Cor. 12:2-4 and discusses in 2 Cor. 5:8 and Phil. 1:23.
End Quote

Now, contrary to Richard, it is our understanding that Jesus was actually dead for the time he was in the grave (sheol, hades). It was at the time of his resurrection that he again lived. So, yes, for a period of time, Jesus did not exist. When Jesus was resurrected, it was then that he became “a life-giving spirit.” (1 Corinthians 15:45 )

Our view of the various words that Richard tried to explain is different to Richards.

Richard said  "..Sheol (Hebrew) and Hades (Greek) are the same place.."    That we agree with.  However, the Baptists  view  that Richard gives, is that is where the souls of the dead go awaiting a future time.

His idea of souls, is, that a conscience  part of mankind that lives on after the death of the body.  Our understanding of the word soul is that it is the living body and all that it has

Genesis 2:7 “and to blow into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man came to be a living soul.” (NWT)  [The KJV uses the words “ became a living soul.” It is interesting that the NIV says “  became a living being”]

1 Corinthians 15:45 “It is even so written: “The first man Adam became a living soul.“ (NWT)

We teach that the meanings of the Hebrew and Greek words Sheol and Hades refers just to the grave and nothing else.

A prophecy at Psalm 16:10  in relation to Jesus tells us that Jesus would be in hades for a period of time. “10 For you will not leave me in the Grave. You will not allow your loyal one to see the pit.” (NWT).  Notice it says "will not leave " him there. Indicating  a period when he would be there, and later, a resurrection.

The KJV reads “For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption”
In both translations above the words Grave and hell are renderings of the Hebrew word sheol.

These spirits that Jesus visited were not sheol as suggested by Richard but were in  Tartarus.  

Jesus visited the fallen, disobedient  angelic son of God that had left heaven and married women on earth before the flood

1 Peter 3:18-20 ”  . . .He was put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit. 19 And in this state he went and preached to the spirits in prison, 20 who had formerly been disobedient when God was patiently waiting in Noah’s day, while the ark was being constructed, in which a few people, that is, eight souls, were carried safely through the water.” (NWT)

Jude 6 “ 6 And the angels who did not keep their original position but forsook their own proper dwelling place, he has reserved with eternal bonds in dense darkness for the judgment of the great day. “ (NWT)

2 Peter 2:4 "Certainly God did not refrain from punishing the angels who sinned, but threw them into Tarʹta·rus, putting them in chains of dense darkness to be reserved for judgment" (NWT)

I hope that has answered your question

Please feel free to follow up if need be.

Jehovah`s Witness

Brenton Hepburn

I AM one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, and I am always learning. I am NOT an expert in the full sense of the word but I can answer questions on the reliability of the NWT - the so called mind control problems-so called prophecies - how being a JW affects the individual and relatives and general practices and history of Jehovah’s Witnesses. >>WARNING<< Please be aware that there are people here who ARE NOT practicing JWs. By all means ask these ones questions. Depending on the question you will get an honest answer, but, generally the answer you get, will mislead you as to what we believe, often because, they do not give ALL the relevant details. These ones will, have an agenda against JWs., and will at times give answers that are not correct in regard to JW teachings and practices. If you are after a answer from one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, please read some of the answers that the various experts have published before choosing someone. If you want to ask one of the NON JWs a question, that is fine, BUT if you want a balancing view after asking one of the NON JWs, ask a JW the same question. PLEASE ALSO NOTE: There(have been)and are, some "experts" here who are NOT always the most courteous and polite, at times are actually quite rude, that applies to both JW's and non JW's and their answers may offend, especially when they get personal and attack the character of the person and not the message. Unfortunately some here that have done that. So it IS IMPORTANT to chose an "expert" that YOU feel will best suit YOU by reading some of their past answers . . . . .

I have been a publisher since 1964. When I first went on the internet I found a lot of negative information dealing with Jehovah’s Witnesses covering prophecy, mind control and what many said was a very bad translation of the Bible known as the NWT. It shook my faith. After may hours researching these topics I could see why some felt that way, but, I was also able to explain why there were these misleading views. I can now set matters straight for anyone that has negative information about Jehovah’s Witness to show them that such information is at best misleading and at worst dangerous lies.

I have been a student of the Bible for many years, am trying to teach myself Biblical Greek. Was a public tax accountant for many years untill SEP 2009 when I gave it up due to health problems.