Jehovah`s Witness/John 1:1

Question
You probably know that the vast majority of Bible scholars disagree with the NWT "and the Word was (a) God."  To me, all of the surrounding verses concur that this should read, "And the Word was God."  The very first clause of the sentence:  "In the beginning was the Word" tells us that in the beginning, the Word "was."  It doens't say, "In the beginning the Word was CREATED..."  Rather, the Word WAS.  The Word was preexistent.  And whatever is preexistent, is God.  So, "In the beginning was the Word" is as though to say, "The Word was God."  John is even echoing Genesis:  "In the beginning.." In the beginning what?  In the beginning, GOD.  Then you have yet another clause, "All things were made by him (the Word) and without him was nothing made that was made."  God alone is the Creator of all things... and so, the Word is God.  Thus, three times in the opening prologue to John's gospel, you have the Word being called God.  And yes, WITH God, because He is with the Father.  I just don't grasp how you can toss all of this aside.  BTW...John says, "All things were created by him..."  But in the NWT at Colossians 1:16 the text is altered to read "All OTHER things were created by him..."  Four times the word OTHER is added to the text, in order to make the words fit the WTS belief that all things OTHER than Jesus himself were created by Jesus...ie., to make the Son of God a part of creation.  Shouldn't the NWT similarly add the word OTHER to John's gospel, making it read  "All OTHER things were created by him"?  If the word "other" can be added to the Greek in Colossians, why not be consistent and do it with John's words as well?  --Keith

Answer
Hello Keith and thank you for writing,

John 1:1 has always been a hot topic among scholars and many can not agree on this verse, and some just refuse to accept the facts.  The NWT is NOT the only translation that says "a god" as I showed in a previous answer.   I don't think mere Bible scholars can override the entire Bible that is authored by Jehovah God himself which shows time and time again that Jesus is NOT Almighty God Jehovah.  The simple fact that Jesus was seen period proves that.

The correct rendering is "a god" all the ones that say "was God" is wrong!

See this is where we differ in belief and understanding, John 1:1 and actually the entire book of John, echoes that Jesus is NOT Almighty God.  Even just a few verses down at John 1:18 it clearly says:

John 1:18 "No man has seen God at any time;"  The same person who wrote John verses1-3 wrote verse 18!  

If Jesus is Almighty God then you are saying that verse 18 is a lie!  It can't be both ways.  Jesus was seen on earth as a man and in vision after his resurrection in heaven.  

In John 1:1 it also says that the Word (Jesus) was WITH God, one cannot be WITH someone and also BE that same someone.  And as I pointed out, "In the Beginning" should not be used when pertaining to Almighty God alone because he does not have a beginning or end.  So "In the Beginning" of what you said?   In the beginning of creation by Jehovah God, since Jesus was one of the creations by God, then the Beginning of creation by God would be "in the beginning" because before "in the Beginning"  nothing existed except Jehovah God alone.  There was no "in the beginning" before creation.  Jehovah has no beginning.

And to say "whatever is preexistent, is God" is incorrect.  All of that is just double talk.   The Word (Jesus) preexisted everything EXCEPT Jehovah God.

The definition of preexist is:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/preexistent

verb (used without object)
1.  to exist beforehand.

2.  to exist in a previous state.

verb (used with object)
3.  to exist prior to (something or someone else); precede:
primitive artifacts that preexisted sophisticated tools.

Now words that religious people made up to mean this or that doesn't hold water with Bible truths.  Lots of things preexisted, if it existed before something else then it's preexistence.  

Again, Jehovah God created all things through Jesus.  But before Jesus existed, none of those things were here.  It's that simple.

John 1:3 should not say "by him", but "through him"  see the Greek word is Strong's 1223 which is correctly rendered "through"  KJV incorrectly changes it to "by"  (maybe ask them why they aren't consistent in tons of scriptures and why they added words)

http://biblehub.com/text/john/1-3.htm

Who gave Jesus the power to do those things?  Who exalted Jesus?  Who?  Does an Almighty God need to be exalted and given authority and power?  No!  But Jehovah GAVE and Jesus was GIVEN.  There is no point to give authority to yourself, there is no point in calling yourself a Master worker, as Jesus was called (Proverbs 8:30).   Being with God and being beside God does not make Jesus Almighty God.  

Why does it say "other"  because of the rule of common sense.  If Jehovah God has no beginning or end, then he has always existed therefore preexistence doesn't apply to God because it's not even needed.  He's just always been.  When Jehovah God decided to create, his Son was the first, there was a start, which is a beginning of creation, (Rev. 3:14) which is why Jesus is called God's ONLY-BEGOTTEN son.  After Jesus, all the rest of creation was through Jesus, as God gave Jesus the power to do so.  That does not mean that Jesus had the power all along, it was given to him and is why power could go out of him, which is shown in the Bible in the case of a woman touching him and she was healed. (Luke 8:46)

If Jesus was Almighty God and the creator then he should have said "when I created in the beginning I made them male and female", however he didn't say that at all, no....he said he made them male and female, not I made them male and female.

Mark 10:5,6  "But Jesus said to them: “Out of regard for your hard-heartedness, he wrote this commandment for you. 6 However, from the beginning of creation, ‘He made them male and female."

Twice in this scripture alone Jesus refers to someone other than himself as being the creator, now if Jesus was the creator he would not have done this.  As the Bible says of Jehovah God "I am Jehovah. That is my name;  I give my glory to no one else,"  (Isaiah 42:8)   If Jesus is Almighty God he would be contradicting himself by giving the glory of being the creator to someone else.  (God gives glory to others, but he does not give HIS glory to anyone else)  Jesus spoke in harmony with that scripture at Mark 10:5,6 as well as tons of other scriptures.

You cannot deny the words of Jesus and the Bible.  "I just don't grasp how you can toss all of this aside", along with the rest of the Bible that clearly shows that Jesus is NOT Almighty God.

Good day,

Sister T  

Jehovah`s Witness

Sister T