Jehovah`s Witness/Please explain Isaiah 53: 3-6

Many greetingts to you Sister T and hope all is well.

Would you please explain Isaiah 53: 3-6?

Thank you and keep up the great work on this forum. You have been blessed with a gift of communication so continue to take advantage of it.

With Christian love,

Greetings Jim and thank you for writing!

Thank you for your kind words they are truly appreciated, I thank Jehovah very much, He gets all the glory and honor!  

Sorry for the delay in replying...

Isaiah 53:3-6 "He was despised and was avoided by men, A man who was meant for pains and was familiar with sickness., It was as if his face were hidden from us., He was despised, and we held him as of no account., 4 Truly he himself carried our sicknesses, And he bore our pains., But we considered him as plagued, stricken by God and afflicted., 5 But he was pierced for our transgression, He was crushed for our errors., He bore the punishment for our peace, And because of his wounds we were healed., 6 Like sheep we have all wandered about, Each has turned his own way, And Jehovah has caused the error of us all to meet up with him."

This is a prophecy by the prophet Isaiah which was recorded over 700 years in advance regarding how Jesus would be viewed and treated.  

All of the things that Isaiah describes are things that took place when Jesus walked the earth.  In fact, Isaiah 52:13-53:12 all describe things pertaining to Jesus the Messiah.  

It's noteworthy to also note that Jehovah spoke of elevating Jesus and exalting him.  Jehovah called Jesus "My servant" in Isaiah 52:13, "Look! My servant will act with insight., He will be raised up high, He will be elevated and greatly exalted."     

Thus showing that Jehovah and Jesus could not be equal or that Jesus could not possibly be Almighty God.  As Jesus himself said "a slave (or servant) is not greater than his master "  at John 13:16  "Most truly I say to you, a slave is not greater than his master, nor is one who is sent greater than the one who sent him."   Jesus also plainly said he was given authority at Matthew 28:18 "Jesus approached and spoke to them, saying: “All authority has been given me in heaven and on the earth"

Another Scripture that shows that Isaiah 53 is pertaining to Jesus Christ is in the book of Acts. The Ethiopia eunuch told Philip that he did not know the identity of the servant spoken about in Isaiah 53:7-8 which reads:  "He was oppressed and he let himself be afflicted, But he would not open his mouth., He was brought like a sheep to the slaughter, Like a ewe that is silent before its shearers, And he would not open his mouth., 8 Because of restraint and judgment he was taken away, And who will concern himself with the details of his generation?, For he was cut off from the land of the living, Because of the transgression of my people he received the stroke."  

Philip declared to him the good news about Jesus, letting him know that passage was speaking about Jesus, thus helping us to also see that this in fact is speaking about Jesus.  Let's read:

Acts 8:32-35 "Now this was the passage of Scripture that he was reading: “Like a sheep he was brought to the slaughter, and like a lamb that is silent before its shearer, so he does not open his mouth. 33 During his humiliation, justice was taken away from him. Who will tell the details of his generation? Because his life is taken away from the earth.”  34 The eunuch then said to Philip: “I beg you, about whom does the prophet say this? About himself or about some other man?” 35 Philip began to speak, and starting with this scripture, he declared to him the good news about Jesus."

Regarding Isaiah 53:3, we see how things unfolded, Jesus was despised by the religious leaders of his time and looked at as a vile person who ate and drank with sinners,  (Luke 7:34, 37-39)  They hit him with their fist, spit in his face, reviled him, made fun of him, and even people from his own home town did not take him in.  Jesus himself did not get sick as he was perfect but he came into a sick world and he didn't shun them, he healed them. (Matthew 26:67; John 1:10,11; Luke 5:27-32).

Regarding Isaiah 53:4-5, we see how things unfolded, Jesus took on our sins, he carried our burdens, his God-given power to heal took away from him, as he felt power go out of him, he was plagued because of having to undergo a violent and painful death, the Messiah’s suffering culminated in his being pierced, crushed, and wounded.  All the sufferings that Jesus underwent were for our sins (Luke 8:43-48;  Matthew 8:16,17;  1 Peter 2:21,22,24)

Regarding Isaiah 53:6, we see how things unfolded, again, Jesus suffered not for any sins he committed because he was sinless, but for our sins, Jehovah caused our error to  "meet up with him" or rest upon him (Jesus).  If not for Jesus all would be lost, all were lost like sheep going astray, but Jesus willingly suffered the penalty for our sins thus making it possible for us to be reconciled to God, and Paul begs ones to "become reconciled to God."  (1 Peter 2:25;  2 Corinthians 5:18-21)  This also helps us to see why approaching Jehovah God in prayer is through Jesus or in Jesus' name. (John 14:6; John 15:16; Philippians 2:10,11)

Take care, with Christian love,

Sister T

Jehovah`s Witness

Sister T

Please click here--> For your Free Home Bible Study

I can answer questions related to Jehovah's Witnesses and the Bible. I love learning the truth from the Bible and helping others to learn that truth as well. I don't know everything but will answer from the Bible, I like to use illustrations as well to help a person relate to what is being said. The Bible has the last say so over any person.

I am an active baptized Jehovah's Witness and Jehovah is Almighty God,(Ps. 83:18) and his Son Jesus Christ died so that everyone exercising faith in him may not be destroyed but have everlasting life. (John 3:16). I support my fellow Witnesses on this board who are real, and Jehovah's worldwide visible organization, including the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses. As God is not a God of disorder, and there could not be order if there were not ones to take the lead. Taking the lead and having a leader is not the same, our leader is Jesus Christ, and in order to have unity and order, there has to be arrangements in place. As the first century Christians had, there were men taking the lead, (Acts 6:1-6) as with Moses, (Exodus 18:21) and in our day, in following with Bible truths, we do the same. When people twist that around to us worshiping men, it is just a straight out lie! Why would the Scripture at 1 Tim. 3:1-10, 12, 13 give the criteria for men reaching out for an office of overseer if that was not meant to be? (Phil 1:1, Acts 20:17, 28, Eph. 4:11, 12, 2 Cor. 3:4-6). If we were not supposed to have men who take the lead, why was this scripture penned? James 5:14-15 "Is there anyone sick among YOU? Let him call the older men of the congregation to [him], and let them pray over him, greasing [him] with oil in the name of Jehovah. 15 And the prayer of faith will make the indisposed one well, and Jehovah will raise him up. Also, if he has committed sins, it will be forgiven him."

If you have legit questions and want to know the truth, please ask, but if you are here to spread your lies and twists of the scriptures or get your falsehoods out, you may get rejected! The truth is from the Bible, if what you say does not harmonize with the Bible then what you say is wrong! Context and other scriptures help determine scriptures that may stump us, let scripture interpret scripture. The Bible does not contradict itself, so if what you are being taught or if what you are teaching makes it seem like the Bible is contradictory, remember it's not the Bible it's the man-made teaching! Doctrines of men! Mark 7:6, 7 "He said to them: “Isaiah aptly prophesied about YOU hypocrites, as it is written, ‘This people honor me with [their] lips, but their hearts are far removed from me. 7 It is in vain that they keep worshiping me, because they teach as doctrines commands of men." (also Romans 10:2, 3)

Matthew 24:14 says "And this good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come." We are doing that today, we are living in times of Bible Prophecy and as a Jehovah's Witness, we have the privilege to be apart of a prophecy spoken by Jesus himself! The good news of the Kingdom. Ask yourself, what kingdom? then read Daniel 2:44! It's a real government. Take heed now! Listening to men over God will mean your life.(Prov 3:5,6, Ps. 146:3) A lie will never become truth, No matter how long or how many people say it or speak it. Learn what the Bible really teaches, seek out Jehovah's ways, serving God in truth is only acceptable to him,(John 4:23, 24) you can not be serving God acceptably if what you believe is a lie! Pray for understanding and ask Jehovah to search your heart and draw you! (John 6:44, 65) Now is the time to be with the people who are called by Jehovah's name! (Acts 15:14, 17, Isa. 43:7, 10, Zech 8:23)