Jehovah`s Witness/Is my witnessing in vain

Question
im a seveth day adventist and have been studing with jw for a year nowjust to get a clear understanding what they believe and i find their teaching closely related to that of sda...but jw view of Jesus is unexceptable to me...theres this thing about them knowing who is going to be among the 18,000,and their nwt is the only accurant translation...i have been showing them from scripture where they are wrong and want to know is it a waste of time should i continue to plant seeds that the Holy Spirit will water in his time and his way...i hate to just give up on these people..thanks

Answer
Hello Gwen,

Thank you for asking those questions, but I think you have written this to the wrong person.
I am a JW so I am going to say that talking to JWs is not a waist of time, and I would encourage you to talk more.  But of course that is my biased view.

I am unsure if you made a typo or not but you mention a figure of 18,000.  JWs do not have any special knowledge of  “knowing who is going to be among the 18,000”  To be honest I do not know what this is supposed to refer to, but, I am assuming it might be in relation to the 144,000 that are to be joint heirs with Jesus and rule with him over the Kingdom.  Even then we do not have knowledge of who are included in that number.

When it comes to the Bible it is true that many JWs think that the NWT is the most accurate just as many people think that the KJV is the most accurate.  

The NWT is in more accurate than the KJV.  But there is NO Bible in existence today that is 100% accurate to the original writings.  The NWT is a remarkably good translation according to one unbiased scholar who compared several of the most widely used English Bibles used today.  He wrote a book coma poring these Bibles.  
The book is “Truth in Translation: Accuracy and Bias in English Translations of the New Testament” by Jason David BeDuhn .  Besides the KJV, the Bibles he compares are...

The Amplified New Testament. Copyright© 1954, 1958, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation.
The Living Bible ,copyright© 1971. by permission of Tyndale House Publishers
New American Bible with Revised New Testament© 1986, 1970 Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, Washington, D.C
THE NEW AMERICAN STANDARD BIBLE . Copyright© The Lockman Foundation 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1977
the HOLY BIBLE, NEW!NTERNATONAL VERSION ®. N!V®. Copyright© 1973, l 978, 1984 by lnternatonal Bible Society. by  Zondervan Publishing
New Revised Standard Version Bible , copyright© 1989 by the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A.,
New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures , Copyright © 1984 by Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania.
Good News Bible in Today's English Version , copyright© 1976 by American Bible Society

All Bibles have some sort of bias in them. In Bebuhns conclusion of the NWT he reported that the New World Translation was "not bias free", but emerged "as the most accurate of the translations compared", and thus a "remarkably good translation", adding that "most of the differences are due to the greater accuracy of the NW as a literal, conservative translation".

We have to realise that none of the original writings exist today so there are going to be differences.  Also the very nature of translation means that a translator have to make personal decisions as to express a idea from one language to another.

The KJV was rendered from a master Greek Text that was compiled from Greek manuscripts that were no older that the 12th century.  Most modern Bibles have the benefit of  Greek manuscripts that go back to the second century.

I understand that SDA believe in a trinity that Jesus is a part of the godhead.  Most Bibles are biased toward that in their translation of many texts and it is worth the effort to try to get an understanding of the the original Greek at such texts.  I have over the years gather a lot of information as to the grammar and wordings of the Greek in those texts so I can provide you with information on any texts from the NWT that bother you as to who Jesus is.

Please feel free to ask any followup questions.

Jehovah`s Witness

Brenton Hepburn