Jehovah`s Witness/caution vs. faith

Question
Hiya Bro.

Welcome back.

I'm very ordinarily a very cautious and conservative individual. I have been accused (never seriously) of really over thinking before deciding.

A coworker asked me a question, and I'm not sure how to answer it. It's not specific to any situation, but it was asked very sincerely.

The question: "When does 'Counting The Cost' become lack of faith?"

I've always appreciated your scriptural answers, and Bro Rando suggested I toss you a "welcome Back" question. So here ya go!
Maybe others could chime in with their answers too.

Agape Eddie

Bill

Answer
I am not sure to whom you are addressing this question, as I found it in the "Question Pool."  However, I will attempt to answer it to the best of my ability. Really this is a very thought-provoking question. I found the following article in the May 1, 2002 Watchtower, which ties both parts of your question  together:

Do You Count the Cost?

JESUS CHRIST offered his disciples the hope of everlasting life, but he also urged them to count the cost of being a Christian. He illustrated the point by asking: “Who of you that wants to build a tower does not first sit down and calculate the expense [or, count the cost], to see if he has enough to complete it?” (Luke 14:28) What cost did Jesus mean?

All Christians encounter trials—some serious. (Psalm 34:19; Matthew 10:36) Therefore, we need to be mentally and spiritually prepared so that we are not surprised when opposition or other problems come our way. We must already have figured such challenges into the cost of being a disciple of Christ, knowing that the reward—salvation from sin and death—is worth far more than anything that the present system can offer us. Yes, nothing that God permits—even death—can permanently harm us if we continue to serve him.—2 Corinthians 4:16-18; Philippians 3:8.

How can our faith become that strong? Our faith grows stronger each time we make a correct decision, take a firm stand for Christian principles, or carry out an action in harmony with God’s will—especially when we are under pressure to do otherwise. When we personally experience Jehovah’s blessing as a result of our faithful course, our faith is strengthened and deepened. In that way, we follow the example of Jesus, his first disciples, and all the men and women of faith who down through the ages correctly ‘counted the cost’ of serving God.—Mark 1:16-20; Hebrews 11:4, 7, 17, 24, 25, 32-38.

(End of quote.)

So, if you want to complete a building project, for example, you calculate the cost & see if  you have enough to do the job. If you don't, & if it is important to you,, you work & save until you do have enough to do it.

Likewise to really be a Christian requires a lot of faith. If we lack the necessary faith, then we need to pray and work toward building our faith so that we can continue upon the Christian course upon which we have set out. Counting the cost  is not a lack of faith but is an assessment of our faith, to see where we need to add to it. The account of this is in Luke 14:25-33 .

Abdijah  

Jehovah`s Witness

Abdijah