Jehovah`s Witness/Mormon Claims

I was approached at school by two classmates who, when they heard I was a Jehovah's Witness, introduced themselves as members of the Mormon Church. As we talked in the cafeteria, they never said anything negative about the Society, but they did raise some questions about legitimacy. First, they said we aren't a church and that God never called, or acknowledged, the Society, ever, as being his. I explained some of our beliefs and said I could show them all to be true, and that no one else on earth taught these things in 1914-1919. They countered that Jerusalem was not destroyed in 607 BCE, but in 586-7. They showed me in their Book of Mormon where a prophet left Jerusalem in 600 BCE and it had still not been destroyed. In effect, they were trying too use a book we didn't believe in to prove their claim. He also said he could show me multiple historic records to back it up.

I can't go into all the details, but they said Joseph Smith was called of God like Jeremiah and Moses and that they could argue their doctrines as well as I could mine, and that the only way anyone can know the truth is to read and pray. They've tried to give me a copy of the Book of Mormon, but I don't want to encourage them. But at the same time I'm interested in reading it because I'd like to compare it to Jehovah's word. (They also say that Jehovah is not God the Father of Jesus, but was Jesus. They said Jehovah was the mediator between the Father and man and showed me some scriptures.)

I don't really know what my question is other than ask what to do? Should I just say go or would it be appropriate to read their book and see if I can discover flaws? I did some reading on the Internet and asked for proof it was of God, and they told me that I should read it and pray to God. I again asked for proof and they gave me this (pasted):

Listen to Daniel C. Peterson's lecture on the *Evidences of the Book of Mormon*: ( and *The Witnesses* ( Also the outstanding *Journey of Faith* videos, *Part 1* ( and *Part 2* (; *World And the Prophets*:

What should I do? I'm not real active at the moment, so I'm not wanting any contact with elders. I used to live in Virginia and now live in Maryland. I listened to Peterson's first lecture and, if true, it makes me want to read the book. At the same time I don't want to be deceived.

Thank you for your time. Feel free to edit this.

Here is some History of the Book of Mormon Showing that it has no Connection to the Bible.I can not tell you  what to do.The Bible gives some warnings though . For example Proverbs 11:9 says:   By [his] mouth the one who is an apostate brings his fellowman to ruin, but by knowledge are the righteous rescued. Also Isaiah 10:5,6 states:
5 “Aha, the As·syr′i·an, the rod for my anger, and the stick that is in their hand for my denunciation! 6  Against an apostate nation I shall send him, and against the people of my fury I shall issue a command to him, to take much spoil and to take much plunder and to make it a trampling place like the clay of the streets. Job 8:13 gives another warning , 13 Thus are the pathways of all those forgetting God, And the very hope of an apostate will perish,

Raised in a fertile climate of folklore and religious ardor was young Joseph Smith. His family too was caught up in the excitement. Joseph’s mother wrote of their experiencing healings, miracles, and visions. But when she and some of the children joined a church, Joseph refused to follow. Later, in his life story, he wrote of his prayer for help and the answer he received.
Joseph told of a vision in which God forbade him to join any of the sects because they were all in error. Then, one autumn day in 1823, the 17-year-old Smith told his family that an angel named Moroni had shown him a set of ancient golden plates. Four years later he claimed he was given the plates and the exclusive divine power to translate them, which required using a special stone called “a seer stone” and a pair of magic silver spectacles—two smooth three-cornered diamonds set in glass. It meant instant death for others to see the plates at that time, Smith warned.
Smith, who could read but not write well, dictated the “translation” of the plates to several scribes. Sitting behind a curtain, he related a story said to be compiled by a Hebrew man named Mormon. The plates were inscribed in “reformed Egyptian” writing, Smith explained, which was more compact than Hebrew. Mormon and his son Moroni were described as being among the last survivors of a people called the Nephite nation, fair-skinned descendants of Hebrews said to have migrated to America about 600 B.C.E. to escape Jerusalem’s destruction.
The account relates that Jesus had appeared to this nation in America after his death and resurrection and had chosen 12 Nephite apostles. The Lamanites, a people also of Hebrew descent, were rebellious and warlike and so were cursed by God with dark skin. Mormon’s account principally chronicled the ongoing battles between these two nations. The Nephites grew wicked and eventually were annihilated by the Lamanites, who were ancestors of the American Indians.
According to Smith, Mormon’s son, now the spirit Moroni, had given him the record on golden plates and the commission leading to the restoration of Christ’s church. Smith soon had a following. A prosperous believer financed the publishing of Smith’s manuscript called The Book of Mormon. It appeared in print in the spring of 1830. Two weeks later, Joseph Smith announced his official title: “Seer, a Translator, a Prophet, an Apostle of Jesus Christ.” On April 6, 1830, the Mormon Church, or The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, was born.
Smith had a commanding presence that won the devotion of many converts. But his unconventional religion also made enemies. The fledgling church was hounded; its members fled from New York to Ohio and then to Missouri in search of its New Jerusalem. As prophet, Smith uttered revelation after revelation, pronouncing God’s will on matters ranging from financial donations to a divine mandate to take multiple wives. This latter revelation particularly spawned much persecution. Faced with suspicion and antagonism at every turn, the Mormons took up arms to defend themselves.
The intrigue and turmoil that marked the early years of Joseph Smith’s life never abated. Frontier towns, inundated with influxes of Smith’s followers, put up stiff resistance. They had use neither for another sacred book nor for a self-proclaimed prophet. Then, in 1839, to the dismay of the local populace, the Mormons established a thriving colony, with its own mills, factory, university, and militia, in Nauvoo, Illinois. When hostilities erupted, Smith was arrested and jailed in Carthage, Illinois. There, on June 27, 1844, a mob raided the jail and shot and killed him.

Regards Elbert

Jehovah`s Witness

Elbert Spears

I have been a student of the Bible since 1974 and a witness for 18 Years.I do not wish to be considered an Expert in this category because I, like everyone else will never cease to learn.However answering questions is here is very enjoyable ,Even though some continue trying to discredit me and my Brothers and Sisters. May Jehovah continue to his lovibg support .

With many years of bible study as a foundation, I enjoy aswering any question that applies to the bible. I like intelligent questions that require sincere answers.I can not answer silly questions.

34 years of Bible Study