Jehovah`s Witness/Preaching

Can a woman get up and preach in a Kingdom Hall? I know that no one is a ordained pastor in Jw congregations is that right?

Hello, Timothy.  Thank you for your question.  I hope all is well for you.

Women do not get up and preach at the Kingdom Hall, and do not assume a leadership position in the congregation.  On the other hand, the JW religion refers to ALL of its adherents who go door-to-door, as "preachers", or "ministers".  So, in that sense, they have women preachers.  In the sense of a woman assuming a leadership role at the meetings, or conducting the WT study, or giving a public talk for the purpose of teaching, that role belongs to the men.  And as far as I know, a woman does not ever have "microphone duty" during the WT study, either.

Women do, however, give presentations. or public demonstrations.  When I was growing up at the KH, this would usually be in the form of something like a skit.....Basically, a scenario that might be encountered by a JW (at school, work, or in field service), will be acted out on stage, and this demonstration will usually deal with how a Witness should handle the situation.  Women do play parts in the public demonstrations.

The fact is, JWs don't have ordained pastors, per se.  They have elders and ministerial servants.  Exactly what role each of those play, would be a question to ask a JW, or Robert Jones, as he himself is very familiar with how the congregation is run.  

I haven't been to a JW meeting in nearly 30 years now, but that is my recollection of things.

Thanks for writing, and take care.

Jehovah`s Witness

Derrick Holland

I was raised in the religion known as Jehovah`s Witnesses for 13 years. Since becoming a born-again Christian, I have researched extensively this religion, especially their doctrines and their history. I can answer questions about their doctrines from the perspective of Biblical Christianity. To be clear: Jehovahs Witnesses is the religion of my upbringing, though I myself was never baptized into the religion, nor have I ever been considered as a Jehovahs Witness.

29 years of Biblical research into the fundamental doctrines of the Christian faith, and how they differ from the teachings of the Watchtower.

I would advise each questioner to this forum, to carefully READ the profiles of the various volunteers. There are several such as myself, who are not practicing JWs, but will provide you with an accurate and honest answer, regarding JW teaching. If we don't know the answer, we will try to research and get it for you. There are also some excellent practicing JWs here, who also endeavor to give you a factual and honest answer, based on their point of view. I believe by getting both points of view, the questioner can weigh the evidence for themselves, and make an informed decision. Unfortunately, there are also 3 here who claim to be JWs, but do NOT give honest, or well-researched answers. They will tell you only what they want you to believe, and they often hide facts about the history of their religion, as well as print untruths about other people's beliefs. This is done in an attempt to deceive the unsuspecting reader. It can be easily seen who these 3 are, simply by reading the public posts and "answers" which they write. Their posts will normally be filled with personal attacks, and if you question them about some teaching or aspect of the Watchtower that makes them uncomfortable, they will often reject your question, question your motives for asking it, tell you that you have been reading "apostate" sites, or turn the conversation into an attack on another expert. These ones are better avoided, as there is nothing to be gained by way of positive discussion, as they are not interested in intelligent conversation, or honest dialogue. If after reading the forum, you still have any questions as to who they are, just ask me, and I will be happy to tell you. And I can also provide documentation of their willful dishonesty. One thing is for a forum where people from both sides claim to be "Christians", there should never be any willful lying. Such ones only create a distraction in the forum, and provide nothing of any real value.

High School, some college. Studies of God's Word, the Bible, and how it compares to JW theology. I have found my own personal study and experiences to be far more valuable than any formal education or training. The Bible message is clear...Salvation is ONLY through and by the shed blood of Jesus Christ, and no religious organization has a thing to do with it. While attendance at a Bible-preaching, Bible-believing church is a must for spiritual growth and fellowship, no church can grant salvation to its members. Nor is joining a particular group a prerequisite for being saved.