Jehovah`s Witness/How many Saviors?

Question
Hello Brenton.
During one of my discussions with my jw co-worker, on company time I might add, I asked how many saviors there were? This was an off shoot of our "a god" debate. He answered  that there are  two saviors and declared there to be only one Judge. Is this a jw belief and if so, how do you explain Isaiah 43:11.

Thanks again. Kevin.

Answer
Hi Kevin

Nice to hear from you again.

I had to have a little chuckle to myself at this  <<< “During one of my discussions with my jw co-worker, on company time I might add ”>>>   after my comments previously about how we are advised not to waist our bosses time.   Could it possibly be that he is aware of not wanting to “steal from his boss” so his answers are brief?   (I wish I could answer for him )   What do you think?  Could it be considered stealing from our boss to let work suffer by engaging in other activities instead of concentrating on our work?  Anyway, it is always nice to hear that you are asking questions.  Keep asking questions, hopefully at an appropriate time.

Now if someone asked me the question how many saviours are there, depending on the rest of the conversation at the time I could possible give 3 different replies

1) There is ONE saviours
2) There are two saviours
3) There are many saviours.

Each answer has a different context to it.

First, how about we look at the definition of the saviour

“a person who saves, rescues, or delivers:” http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/saviour

“a person who rescues another person or a thing from danger or harm”  http://www.thefreedictionary.com/saviour

What is the context of my three answers?

Answer 1 is based on Isaiah 43:11 .  Reading from the NWT it says “I—I am Jehovah, and besides me there is no savior <3467>”.  And that is the ultimate truth.

Well then how is it that I can give either answer 2 or 3?

Answer 2 relates to post Christian life.  There are in effect 2 saviours.  Jehovah, and his son Jesus

Answer 3 is in relation to pre Christian life, in other words the OT.

What it comes down to is this.  There is ONLY ONE saviour who is the author or the saving acts, the instigator, the arranger of the saving acts, the principle saviour.  This is is Jehovah the God of Abraham Isaac and Jacob. The God that saved the Israelites many times, used different “agents” in doing so.  This is clearly brought out for us in the following texts (KJV)

Nehemiah 9:27 “Therefore thou deliveredst them into the hand of their enemies, who vexed them: and in the time of their trouble, when they cried unto thee, thou heardest them from heaven; and according to thy manifold mercies thou [that is God ] gavest them saviours <3467>, who saved <3467> them out of the hand of their enemies.”

Judges 2:16,18 “ 16 Nevertheless the LORD [Jehovah ] raised up judges, which delivered <3467> them out of the hand of those that spoiled them.... 18 And when the LORD [Jehovah ] raised them up judges, then the LORD [Jehovah ] was with the judge, and delivered  <3467> them out of the hand of their enemies all the days of the judge: for it repented the LORD [Jehovah ] because of their groanings by reason of them that oppressed them and vexed them.”

Judges 3:9 “ And when the children of Israel cried unto the LORD [Jehovah ], the LORD [Jehovah ] raised up a deliverer <3467> to the children of Israel, who delivered <3467> them, even Othniel the son of Kenaz, Caleb’s younger brother.”

Judges 3:15 “But when the children of Israel cried unto the LORD [Jehovah ], the LORD [Jehovah ] raised them up a deliverer <3467>, Ehud the son of Gera, a Benjamite, a man lefthanded: and by him the children of Israel sent a present unto Eglon the king of Moab.

2 Kings 13:4,5 “4  And Jehoahaz besought the LORD [Jehovah ], and the LORD  [Jehovah ] hearkened unto him: for he saw the oppression of Israel, because the king of Syria oppressed them. 5  (And the LORD [Jehovah ] gave Israel a saviour <3467>, so that they went out from under the hand of the Syrians: and the children of Israel dwelt in their tents, as beforetime.”

The number <3467> in each of those texts points to  a Strongs Hebrew lexicon word number.  This word is יָשַׁע  = yasha‘  “a primitive root; properly, to be open, wide or free, i.e. (by implication) to be safe; causatively, to free or succor: —  X at all, avenging, defend, deliver(-er), help, preserve, rescue, be safe, bring (having) salvation, save(-iour), get victory.”

In the above texts we see that God raised up, appointed, and used different men as saviours (deliverers).  God originated the action but those men did the work because God was behind their efforts.  All those various ones were rightly called saviours of Israel at their respective times.

Those men that God used to perform those saving acts had only marginal success.  It was only for the nation of Israel and only for a short period.  Jesus is different. His saving act of willingly offering his life was that that all mankind could have the opportunity of salvation from sin and death.

However Jesus did not originate the saving act that he performed.  That originated with his God and Father (John 20:17 ).  the first record of this saving act was recorded in Genesis 3:15 “ And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.” (KJV)

When Jesus was here, he repeatedly told his listeners that he was here to do the will of his God and their God. Jesus did nothing of his own originality.  Everything he did and taught was because that is what his God wanted him to teach and do.

John 4:34 “Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work.”

John 5:30 “ I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.”

John 6:38  “For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.”

So as far as Christian life is concerned we can rightly say that there are two saviours.

1) The Almighty who authors and originates the saving act

and

2) The one that was used to perform the saving act.

Our ultimate saviour of course is the God of Jesus, the Almighty, Jehovah

I hope that answers you as to why Isaiah 43:11 can say that  besides Jehovah there is no saviour and why Jesus can be called our saviour.  There is no contradiction of thought.

Jehovah`s Witness

Brenton Hepburn