Jehovah`s Witness/Royal Commission

Listener wrote at 2016-03-16 06:30:48
You need to be very careful about listening to JWs regarding child abuse and the Royal Commission in Australia, that is because they may mislead you and often do not give ALL the relevant details.  Funny but this is how Brenton feels about ex JWs and says so on his profile.

Brenton claims the following:-

<< A law firm did an analysis of the data  provided by the WTS over that 65 year period the break down into several, various components.  Bellow is just one of those that shows what the number of 1006 cases is made up of

Non family, non Witness   -   -   -  - 199 reports

Family, non Witness   -     -     -    470 reports"

Well that's interesting, the Watchtower gave their full list of 1,006 alleged perpetrators to a legal firm to analyse - for their own benefit.  They've been claiming client confidentiality for decades but here they're willing to give a legal firm all the details, voluntarily.  No one was making them do this or requested it, it's simply something the Watchtower wanted to do to make themselves look better.  Ironically, they don't want to voluntarily inform the higher officials of alleged child abuse because they say they believe in this client confidentiality.  This is a significant problem that they have and is being pointed out at the RC.

To clarify the "1,006 cases".  Let's be clear here.  This is the number of individuals that have been accused of child abuse, unfortunately many of these individuals have been accused of abusing more than one child resulting in the number of incidences of alleged child abuse to be much greater than that.

Now out of these 1,006 perpertrators Brenton claims this law firm calculated that 470 of the alleged individuals were non Witness Family members.  It's not true.  Fortunately we have this public document available to us that we can check.  It can be found on the Aust Royal Commission Website under Case Study 29 (JWs) and is on the second page when you click on exhibits. This is the report prepared by the legal firm - "Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse (“Commission”) – Analysis Summary – Comments and VerificationDocument ID: WAT.0018.001.0001_R"  

The report shows that the 470 individuals were in fact JWs, they were also family members of the victims.

As to quoting a figure of 199 non witness, non family, let's examine that.  The report actually states that there was 199 "Not Jehovah's Witness,Unbaptised or Status Unclear at the time of

alleged abuse"  To be accurate, this does not mean 199 were not JWs, it just means that it wasn't clear what their religious status was.

The Report that the Royal Commission prepared from information given to them by the Watchtower shows approx 87 were not JWs.

Please take note that JWs can't even be accurate about reporting on information that the Watchtower has specifically paid for, for their own benefit.  

Brenton wrote at 2016-03-23 00:27:46
Further details to the above comments can be found at

Jehovah`s Witness

Brenton Hepburn

I AM one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, and I am always learning. I am NOT an expert in the full sense of the word but I can answer questions on the reliability of the NWT - the so called mind control problems-so called prophecies - how being a JW affects the individual and relatives and general practices and history of Jehovah’s Witnesses. >>WARNING<< Please be aware that there are people here who ARE NOT practicing JWs. By all means ask these ones questions. Depending on the question you will get an honest answer, but, generally the answer you get, will mislead you as to what we believe, often because, they do not give ALL the relevant details. These ones will, have an agenda against JWs., and will at times give answers that are not correct in regard to JW teachings and practices. If you are after a answer from one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, please read some of the answers that the various experts have published before choosing someone. If you want to ask one of the NON JWs a question, that is fine, BUT if you want a balancing view after asking one of the NON JWs, ask a JW the same question. PLEASE ALSO NOTE: There(have been)and are, some "experts" here who are NOT always the most courteous and polite, at times are actually quite rude, that applies to both JW's and non JW's and their answers may offend, especially when they get personal and attack the character of the person and not the message. Unfortunately some here that have done that. So it IS IMPORTANT to chose an "expert" that YOU feel will best suit YOU by reading some of their past answers . . . . .

I have been a publisher since 1964. When I first went on the internet I found a lot of negative information dealing with Jehovah’s Witnesses covering prophecy, mind control and what many said was a very bad translation of the Bible known as the NWT. It shook my faith. After may hours researching these topics I could see why some felt that way, but, I was also able to explain why there were these misleading views. I can now set matters straight for anyone that has negative information about Jehovah’s Witness to show them that such information is at best misleading and at worst dangerous lies.

I have been a student of the Bible for many years, am trying to teach myself Biblical Greek. Was a public tax accountant for many years untill SEP 2009 when I gave it up due to health problems.