Jehovah`s Witness/Spokesman for Jehovah

[Written by Richard]
With deep respect for Brenton and his answers, I wish to comment on his recent answer regarding the WTBTS being the spokesman for Jehovah.  I would send this to Brenton himself, but he is maxed out.  So, Brenton, if you see this, I take no issue should you decide to reply or add to my answer.

Brenton, in your answer, you stated exactly the same position that I have by saying,

"The spokesman for Jehovah now is a figurative (or composite) person...Who make up that group?  That is up to you to decide just who are doing the will of Jehovah..."

For transparency, the reason I left out certain parts (...) is because different groups use different reasons to substantiate this claim, and I wanted to highlight what I consider to be the crux of the answer.  I support you in that the people who speak for Jehovah are varied and listeners must pay close attention to see which individuals are doing the will of Jehovah.

The only thing that I take issue with is your statement that the WTBTS doesn't claim to be the sole spokesman for Jehovah on earth today.  Take for instance this quote:

"The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, identifies itself as God's 'sole collective channel for the flow of Biblical truth to men on earth' in these last days"   "The facts show that during this time and up to the present hour the 'slave' class has served as God's sole collective channel   for the flow of Biblical truth to men on earth" Watchtower, July 15, 1960, page 439

Or these...

"The Watchtower is not the instrument of any man or set of men, nor is it published according to the whims of men. No man's opinion is expressed in The Watchtower." Watchtower 1931 Nov 1 p.327

The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society is the greatest corporation in the world, because from the time of its organization until now the Lord has used it as his channel through which to make known the glad tidings...'" The Watchtower, 1917, p 22

"The Watchtower is the channel which Jehovah, our God, is using at this time to in the faithful remnant who are keeping the commandments of God and have the testimony of Jesus Christ." Watchtower, August 1, 1930 p. 239

"Surely Jehovah has an organization on earth, because everything with him is done orderly. For many years many years he has used the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society. There is but one class of people that are doing his work on earth today and these we call "the Society", acting under the direction of the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society and putting forth the Watchtower publications." Watchtower, May 15, 1933 p. 154-155

"We acknowledge as the visible organization of Jehovah on earth the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society, and recognize the Society as the Channel or instrument through which Jehovah and Christ Jesus give instruction and meat in due season to the household of faith." Watchtower, April 15, 1939 p. 125

"They are passed to the Holy Spirit who invisibly communicates with Jehovah's Witnesses and the publicity department" (F. W. Franz, Vice-President of the Watchtower Society, Scottish Daily Express, Nov. 24, 1954)  [The Holy Spirit sounds like a person here]

"Let us now unmistakably identify Jehovah's channel of communication for our day, that we may continue in his favor. ... It is vital that we appreciate this fact and respond to the directions of the "slave" as we would to the voice of God, because it is his provision." Watchtower; June 15, 1957; p. 370

And yes, they continued to say the same things from 1957 on, I just think the point was made.

There was a quote that was similar to what you stated.  It said, "All True Christians ARE Prophets. The New American Bible correctly states: "Prophet means 'one who speaks for another,' especially for God. It does not necessarily mean that he predicts the future!" You will be interested to learn that God has on earth a people, all of whom are prophets, or witnesses for God. In fact, they are known throughout the world as Jehovah's Witnesses." Awake! 1986 Jun 8 p. 9

The Awake! magazine is clear that the group is limited to only those who call themselves Jehovah's Witnesses (as defined by the WTBTS).  Does this allow for anyone who is NOT a Jehovah's Witness (as defined by the WTBTS) to be a spokesmen for Jehovah?  If so, who?  Likewise, does this mean that ALL who are Jehovah's Witnesses in good standing with the WTBTS are spokesmen for Jehovah?  If not, who? [These are actual questions]

Brenton, you know I have the highest respect for you.  Please accept my comments in the light it was intended.

Jehovah`s Witness

I am not a Jehovah's Witness, however I can answer many questions concerning the ideas and doctrines on which they disagree with mainstream Christianity. I have spent a great deal of time in ministry with current and ex-Jehovah's Witnesses, as well as those who have started to become disillusioned with the Watchtower Organization.

Jehovah's Witnesses are generally wonderful and moral people who are zealous for God. However, in their zeal, they have pledged allegiance to what they believe is God's spirit-directed organization. This allegiance blinds them from allowing God's word alone to work in them. My hope is to share the love of Jesus Christ with all who seek salvation, no matter their label or denomination. My experiences come from the relationship that I have with Him as the source of my daily strength. These experiences create an undeniable testimony of salvation by grace through faith in the cleansing blood of the Lamb of God. Through prayer and meditation on God's holy word alone, we find truth as revealed to us through the Holy Spirit.

As the word "organization" is misleading in this particular area, I want to be clear that, as a member of the body of Christ, the label or denomination of the church I attend is not the source of my salvation. I do not go to or through any organization for official knowledge or guidance. I go to God's word alone.

I have a Bachelor and Master's Degree with extensive educational experience.