Jehovah`s Witness/what would a JW do

Good day! I have a question to ask about your religion's teachings related to following the law and I will be asking it of different Witnesses. In light of all of the media coverage of Kim Davis in Kentucky and her refusal to violate her religion by issuing licenses for gay marriages, I got to wondering about how Jehovah Witnesses would handle similar circumstances, if their religion’s teachings violated what their job description is.

Suppose a JW works in a hospital as a nurse. If that person were asked to help administer a blood transfusion to a patient, or even if they were asked to get the blood bag, would they comply? If another JW works say in a grocery store deli and were asked to write Happy Birthday on a cake, would they comply, or refuse? If a JW were a cashier at a store and must check out a person buying tobacco products, do they decline to do so, or do they simply feel that they are not responsible for what the person buys?

Would the response be the same for all Jws in all of the above situations, or would it vary by the person, or by the situation? Thank you for your time and I look forward to your reply.

Hi Bill and thank you for writing,

When there are matters that are very clear and against what the Bible says, then a JW would not do it.  In other cases where the Bible is not clear, then a Christian would decide according their trained christian conscience on whether or not they will or will not do something.  So it's not cut and dry in all cases unless it's clear regarding what the Bible says.

If a person is at the store and part of his groceries are cigarettes, it would be up the christian conscience of that person if they will or will not sell them to the person.  But a Christian would not work for a tobacco company, making tobacco products or say in a store that is specific to only selling tobacco products.

About blood, a Christian who is a doctor would not administer or order a blood transfusion, a nurse asked to go get a blood bag would be up to their conscience if they could or could not. Working making cakes and asked to write Happy Birthday, would be up to the christian conscience and also they would consider how others may be affected by their decision.

Here are some questions that a christian should consider before accepting a job.

Principle: “Do all things for God’s glory.”—1 Corinthians 10:31.

Some questions to ask yourself:

Does the job involve activities that are directly condemned in God’s Word?—Exodus 20:13-15.

Would doing the work make me an accomplice in a condemned practice?—Revelation 18:4.

Is the work simply a human service that in itself is not Scripturally objectionable?—Acts 14:16, 17.

What is the effect of doing the work; will it hurt the consciences of others?—Romans 14:19-22.

If I take up work in another country and leave my family behind, what might be the emotional and spiritual effects on my family?—Ephesians 5:28–6:4.

<<<End Quote>>>

Hope this helps

Sister T  

Jehovah`s Witness

Sister T

Please click here--> For your Free Home Bible Study

I can answer questions related to Jehovah's Witnesses and the Bible. I love learning the truth from the Bible and helping others to learn that truth as well. I don't know everything but will answer from the Bible, I like to use illustrations as well to help a person relate to what is being said. The Bible has the last say so over any person.

I am an active baptized Jehovah's Witness and Jehovah is Almighty God,(Ps. 83:18) and his Son Jesus Christ died so that everyone exercising faith in him may not be destroyed but have everlasting life. (John 3:16). I support my fellow Witnesses on this board who are real, and Jehovah's worldwide visible organization, including the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses. As God is not a God of disorder, and there could not be order if there were not ones to take the lead. Taking the lead and having a leader is not the same, our leader is Jesus Christ, and in order to have unity and order, there has to be arrangements in place. As the first century Christians had, there were men taking the lead, (Acts 6:1-6) as with Moses, (Exodus 18:21) and in our day, in following with Bible truths, we do the same. When people twist that around to us worshiping men, it is just a straight out lie! Why would the Scripture at 1 Tim. 3:1-10, 12, 13 give the criteria for men reaching out for an office of overseer if that was not meant to be? (Phil 1:1, Acts 20:17, 28, Eph. 4:11, 12, 2 Cor. 3:4-6). If we were not supposed to have men who take the lead, why was this scripture penned? James 5:14-15 "Is there anyone sick among YOU? Let him call the older men of the congregation to [him], and let them pray over him, greasing [him] with oil in the name of Jehovah. 15 And the prayer of faith will make the indisposed one well, and Jehovah will raise him up. Also, if he has committed sins, it will be forgiven him."

If you have legit questions and want to know the truth, please ask, but if you are here to spread your lies and twists of the scriptures or get your falsehoods out, you may get rejected! The truth is from the Bible, if what you say does not harmonize with the Bible then what you say is wrong! Context and other scriptures help determine scriptures that may stump us, let scripture interpret scripture. The Bible does not contradict itself, so if what you are being taught or if what you are teaching makes it seem like the Bible is contradictory, remember it's not the Bible it's the man-made teaching! Doctrines of men! Mark 7:6, 7 "He said to them: “Isaiah aptly prophesied about YOU hypocrites, as it is written, ‘This people honor me with [their] lips, but their hearts are far removed from me. 7 It is in vain that they keep worshiping me, because they teach as doctrines commands of men." (also Romans 10:2, 3)

Matthew 24:14 says "And this good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come." We are doing that today, we are living in times of Bible Prophecy and as a Jehovah's Witness, we have the privilege to be apart of a prophecy spoken by Jesus himself! The good news of the Kingdom. Ask yourself, what kingdom? then read Daniel 2:44! It's a real government. Take heed now! Listening to men over God will mean your life.(Prov 3:5,6, Ps. 146:3) A lie will never become truth, No matter how long or how many people say it or speak it. Learn what the Bible really teaches, seek out Jehovah's ways, serving God in truth is only acceptable to him,(John 4:23, 24) you can not be serving God acceptably if what you believe is a lie! Pray for understanding and ask Jehovah to search your heart and draw you! (John 6:44, 65) Now is the time to be with the people who are called by Jehovah's name! (Acts 15:14, 17, Isa. 43:7, 10, Zech 8:23)