Jehovah`s Witness/Jesus , has a God and Father! no Trinity at all.

Question
Hi Brenton.

I was reading the last person (Cos), who wrote to you saying that the holy spirit is part of the trinity.

I'm surprise he does not look at the context of the Bible, and read that Jesus does have a God and Father or in other words, the God and Father 'OF' Jesus, is simply admitted by the apostles John and Peter  below:

1. Romans 15:6 "so that unitedly you may with one voice glorify THE GOD AND FATHER 'OF' our Lord Jesus Christ."

2. 1 Cor. 8:6 " there IS ACTUALLY TO US ONE GOD, THE FATHER, from whom all things are and we for him; and there is one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things are and we through him."

3. 2 Cor. 1:3 " PRAISED be THE GOD AND FATHER 'OF' our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of tender mercies and the God of all comfort"

4. 2 Cor. 11:31 "... THE GOD AND FATHER 'OF' the Lord Jesus, THE ONE who is TO BE PRAISED FOREVER, knows I am not lying."

5. Ephesians 1:3 "PRAISED be THE GOD AND FATHER 'OF' our Lord Jesus Christ,"

6. Ephesians 1:17 " that THE GOD 'OF' our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you a spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the accurate knowledge of him."

7. 1 Pet.1:3 " PRAISED be THE GOD AND FATHER 'OF' our Lord Jesus Christ'

No wonder Jesus said at Matt. 4:10 "Go away, Satan! For it is written: ‘It IS Jehovah YOUR GOD YOU MUST WORSHIP, and it IS to HIM ALONE YOU MUST render sacred service."

Not even one word, that the holy spirit is a person or part of a trinity or is to be worshiped at all by Jesus. Not even one concept!
Cos has to make up his own interpretations to make it fit the concept of the trinity. HOW? By adding words to the simple meaning to God's word the Bible, to try and fit the trinity. But the context of the bible exposes private interpretation.

That is sad to see! No wonder there are so many variations of the trinity doctrine, that seems so mysterious to those stuck in Christendom religions.

Answer
Greetings Reg,

Thank you fro writing,

In a nut shell, the basic concept of the trinity is that the Father, Jesus and the holy spirit are three separate and distinct individuals that all share the same nature, have always existed and are co-equal.

The reasoning from Cos, and others who believe the trinity, is, that the holy spirit is a separate and distinct individual and not a force that emanates from, and belongs to the Father.

I have been having a conversation with Cos about the nature of the holy spirit since July  last year. At the end of June last year after a conversation we had about the devil being a real person, Cos listed of about 20 texts that to him shows "The personality of the Holy Spirit"  Since then we have had about 25 exchanges, the majority of which have dealt with if the holy spirit has intellect and is a separate individual that exists apart from the Father, as Jesus is as separate individual with intellect that exists apart from the Father.

His reasoning have been on two words so far

In  1 John 1:3  and 2 Cor. 13:14  we find  a from of the Greek word "koinōnia"  which is  generally translated as "fellowship" or  "communion".  He was asking how can we have fellowship with an "active force".  We talked about that word and its usage for a while.

Then he has been asking about the word "phronema" as found at Romans 8:27 which, in most Bibles, is translated as "mind".  So with this word, his reasoning has been that the holy spirit must have a mind therefore has intellect, therefore is an individual.

Just as you have said we need to look at the whole Bible, and your list of texts show that Jesus is subordinate to the Father and therefore is not equal to God.  People need to do the same with the holy spirit.  What does the overall picture of the Bible show?  We know that the Bible does not contradict itself so when a text is to be out of step with the rest of the inspired writings there must be another explanation.  Seeing that the texts he has be asking about are out of step with the rest of the Bible, we have to look harder as to what is being presented.

I agree with you that a belief in the trinity doctrine causes people to to make an explanation to fit the concept of the trinity. When the full picture can be observed, the little pieces of the jigsaw that course problems on their own can fit nicely into place.

Again thank you for writing.  

Jehovah`s Witness

Brenton Hepburn