Jehovah`s Witness/Is there a reason you are a Jehovah,s witness ?

Question
Hello and greetings in the Saviours Holy name. I am 66 years of age and live in the U.K. With all of the faults that exist within your organisation, hiding child abuse,giving forth dates ( 1874, 1924, 1925, 1975 ) that went so wrong, joining in secret the united nations as a ngo member even though all of your literature claimed it was the beast,using quotes from various authorities in a very partial way,saying you are the only united religion, when in fact for your size you are probably one of the most fragmented re Romanian JW's etc, and in fact you are an off shoot of the original Bible students, not the other way around. And so on ad infidium. Pretending to use the Bible yet distorting it re Christs teachings, I could go on, and on.
None of this is spoken lightly, in fact I have studied your faith for over 40 years and worked with Jehovah's witnesses.Your modern day ( please excuse the term ) . So how can you you say you have a reason to be a Jehovah's witness, with all of the above ( and much more which I can mention. Now your good points- in this modern day secular society, belief in the One God, in His most Holy Creation, in His love and care for us. In the Scriptures as the word of God, in your zeal and energy pushing forward that which you believe. Now for the bad points- afraid to read your old literature. Afraid to say anything that is not accepted by the 'collective' afraid to look at the problems within your organisation.
In His name, Philip

Answer
Hello Philip

Thank you for writing and asking so many thought provoking questions.  There are so many questions here that at this time I can not give complete answers at this time to all of them. But I will give very brief answers to those things that you have asked, and I am happy to provide more in-depth answers to questions if you want them.

1) “ hiding child abuse”

It is sad that things like child abuse happens. I can assure you that we do not ever hide child abuse. Child abuse is detestable crime and we do all that we can to stop it.  News papers exaggerate the problem as is seen from the misleading information that appeared in so many media reports in many countries about the Australian Royal Commission.  Here is an old web site that will outline some of our policies on child abuse.  http://thirdwitness.com/childabuse/default.html

I can provide a more information on that if you want it.

2) ”giving forth dates ( 1874, 1924, 1925, 1975 )”

I would like to know what you understand by ”giving forth dates” .  Are you suggestion that these dates were false prophecy?  I can assure you they were not . Or, are you just saying that it was wrong to suggest a date for anything.  I can explain why and how each one of these dates were suggested and significance that was seen for each date.  If you are interested, just ask

3) ”joining in secret the united nations as a ngo member”

There is a lot more to the truth about that than what the UK paper the Guardian reported on back on October 8 2001 and then what many anti JW web sites picked up on.  In 2006 a web site went on line to give an answer to that accusation.  See this web site from the UK http://www.jehovahsjudgment.co.uk/watchtower-un-ngo/  

4)  ”you are probably one of the most fragmented”

First I disagree that we are "one of the most fragmented". Our unity is much more than a few small groups that have broken away.  The Bible students left us. We did not leave them.  The Bible Students left in several periods over a number of years.  The first group that left, did so because Rutherford become president. Over the next few years others left when they did not agree with changes in understandings.  The Bible Students were generally autonomous, and fragmented and many of the Bible student groups have passed out of existence.  We had a name change in 1932 to distinguish ourselves from the brake away groups.  The Bible Students were not willing to grow in knowledge (see 2 Peter 3:18).  Generally they put Russell on a pedestal and have not progressed beyond what he wrote.

Yes I am well aware of the sect in Romania known as “The True Faith Jehovah's Witnesses Association”.  They existed for several years under a very restrictive ban, with very little contact with the rest of us. When the political situation changed, many of these people got upset over the change in understanding and application of one scripture, “Romans 13:1” .  May thought that they had been “betrayed” by that change, while other’s accepted the change and stayed with us.  After almost 40 years doing things on their own, many decided to stay that way, wanting their own autonomy.    

As a small world wide organisation  of some 8 million plus people, we are united in what we do. No matter what country you go into you will hear the same material.  We take this text seriously 1 Corinthians 1:10 “Now I urge you, brothers, through the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you should all speak in agreement and that there should be no divisions among you, but that you may be completely united in the same mind and in the same line of thought .” (NWT)

Peter also wrote some very important words  2 Peter 2:1  “However, there also came to be false prophets among the people, as there will also be false teachers among you . These will quietly bring in destructive sects , and they will even disown the owner who bought them, bringing speedy destruction upon themselves.” (NWT)

Paul gave advice to Titus as to what to do with anyone promoting a “sect”, he said  “As for a man who promotes a sect, reject him after a first and a second admonition,” Titus 3:10 (NWT).  Our responsibility is to try to help anyone that wants to do things differently, but if they persist in their course we are to reject them.  From those  warning texts, it can be seen that some “sects” were to be expected.

5) ”Pretending to use the Bible yet distorting it re Christs teachings”

I would love the opportunity to know what it is you are referring to hear and explain anything that you understand to be a “distortion”.  I know of nothing of the teachings of Jesus that have been distorted.

6) ”afraid to read your old literature”

I do not know of any JW that is afraid to read any of the old literature. Untill recently our Kingdom Hall had a full library of old literature.  Our new hall has a much smaller library and less room for books  I have all the WTs that have been produce (in searchable electronic format) as well as nearly all the books. I use them regularly, and am preparing to put on the computer in our library.

OK So why am I a JW.

You mentioned a few points that are important …. “belief in the One God, in His most Holy Creation, in His love and care for us. In the Scriptures as the word of God, in your zeal and energy pushing forward that which you believe.”

Beside that, advocating and using God's name.  For me that very important,  belief in God's purpose for the earth - to restore it to its original condition, the fact that we disfellowship unrepentant wrong doers, but will allow them back into the fold if they show works of repentance. Being willing to be molded by the Bible and willing to change.  Our political neutrality in all nations Unites us.  Striving to stay out of this systems affairs because our confidence is in Jehovah's government under the direction of his son.  Rejecting pagan celebrations that crept into the so called Christian thinking.

Reading the accounts in the Bible, I expect that “things will go wrong”.  The apostles made mistakes in understandings and had to change their understandings on some things.  If that happened back then, then I expect it to happen now.

If men like David and Moses can make monumental mistakes and still be used by God to accomplish his purposes, then I expect that today, that some men in positions of responsibility will make major mistakes that would normally bring Gods displeasure, but, will still be used by God.

Consider two men Saul and David

Think for a moment of David. He conspired to murder an innocent man to cover over his adulterous  affair.  God forgave him

Saul just offered a sacrifice that only a priest should do, and God rejected him.  Why the difference.  One word ….“ATTITUDE”....   David had a humble teachable attitude willing to admit his mistakes.  Saul was proud and arrogant.

The “Watchtower Organisation” i.e. Jehovah's Witnesses. We are willing to make necessary adjustments when needed.  We continue to improve.

If you want to discuss any thing in particular, please do not hesitate to ask.  One question at a time would be appreciated.

Jehovah`s Witness

Brenton Hepburn