Jehovah`s Witness/The Abstaining From Blood

Question
Why do the Jews not agree with Jws about blood. The Jews told me that it is only in reference to meat that is saturated with blood. I told them that Jws go one step further and outlaw Blood Transfusions. They told me that God never told them that.That you are adding a human theory to something God never ever said. It is only for meat saturated with blood they say.

Answer
Hello Timothy,

Do you remember what Jesus said regarding the Jewish religious leaders of his time?  Why did Jesus condemn them?  It was because they were not following what God said, was it not?  Back then I don't believe doctors were performing blood transfusions so it wasn't put specifically in the Bible about a blood transfusion, however, God has always spoke about the sanctity of blood, even before the Israelites were given commandments.  You do know that real Jews do not believe in Jesus right?  Since you think Jesus is God, why don't you run that past one of your Jewish friends and see what they say about that one!

What is extremely vital to realize and understand is Jehovah's viewpoint of blood, not man's viewpoint of it.  God thought of blood as the person's life, which was bought with a price, the shed blood of his son Jesus. (1 Cor 6:20; 1 Cor. 7:23; Heb. 9:12; Heb. 7:27) He felt so strong about blood that he said when an animal is killed for food the blood must be drained or poured out on the ground.  If a mere animal's blood was that important to Jehovah, how much more so is human blood, since only humans were made in God's image!  Blood is precious to God.  Animal and human blood alike. This is why an animal's blood could atone for HUMAN sins.  

Even though we hear most about not eating blood from the law that God gave to Moses specifically for the Israelites, did you know he spoke about it way before the Israelites became his chosen nation.  In fact abstaining from blood was first mentioned because God had gave animal meat to eat after the flood in Noah's day, until then eating blood was not an issue that needed to be addressed.  But now that animal flesh that had blood in it would be eaten, look what he told Noah about blood.

Gen.9:4  "Only flesh with its life—its blood—you must not eat."

From this command to Noah, we see that God views blood as life.

Thus God revealed what belongs to him, which is life, and being that he is our life-giver, he has the right to make the rules about life.  Just like he told Adam and Eve not to eat the fruit from a certain tree because it belonged to him. Did that mean they could take the fruit from that tree and squeeze out the juice and drink it, just as long as they didn't eat the fruit?  He didn't say anything about drinking the juice of the tree did he?  But most people know what it meant when he said do not eat from that tree. Just because people want to get around what God says to suit themselves regarding blood does not make it right in God's eyes.  

Now, again, if an animal's blood is so precious then how much more a humans?  

So we see what God said regarding blood back in Noah's day, before Abraham was born and before the Israelites were a people to God, we see God saying to stay away from it.  

Then he restated his view of blood to the Israelites:

Lev 17:10,11 "If any man of the house of Israel or any foreigner who is residing in your midst eats any sort of blood, I will certainly set my face against the one who is eating the blood, and I will cut him off from among his people. 11 For the life of the flesh is in the blood,...."  

Lev. 17:13 "‘If one of the Israelites or some foreigner who is residing in your midst is hunting and catches a wild animal or a bird that may be eaten, he must pour its blood out and cover it with dust."

Lev 17:14 "For the life of every sort of flesh is its blood, because the life is in it. Consequently, I said to the Israelites: “You must not eat the blood of any sort of flesh because the life of every sort of flesh is its blood. Anyone eating it will be cut off.”

In the case of verse 14, even though the previous verses are speaking of animal blood, we also see that God said something to help us see how he views ALL BLOOD, since humans and animals are the only living creatures that have blood, then this includes human blood as well.  Anything that has blood is spoken about in verse 14.  As it says the life of every sort of flesh is its blood, because the life is in it.

You must not eat the blood of any sort of flesh because the life of every sort of flesh is its blood. Anyone eating it will be cut off.

This helps us to see that any and every sort of flesh that has blood in it is spoken about here.  So since we have blood then that includes humans!  Eating doesn't necessarily mean taken through the mouth.  If blood is to be poured out on the ground as water and covered with dust, why are people drawing it out and storing it in pouches, then putting it inside of another person?  If you are taking in someone else's blood, then you are not pouring it out on the ground.  

Timothy, if the Jews only believed that it was just talking about animal blood, then why did they become absolutely disgusted and even left off from following Jesus when he told them that they must eat his flesh and drink his blood?  Surely they would have no problem doing that since it only meant saturated meat from animal blood, especially since God doesn't say in the Bible not to eat human flesh, but we know he doesn't condone it. The same with human blood, it may not say blood transfusion, but it says blood!

Surely they could drink human blood since it's only animal blood or meat saturated with blood.  Yet the Jews seeing all the miracles Jesus was performing, following him for days and days...left him as soon as he told them to drink his blood and eat his flesh because of the law about blood.  That lets you know right there that the Jews knew exactly what God meant, they knew it was wrong to consume or take in their bodies human flesh and human blood!!  Please get your facts straight!

John 6:54 "Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has everlasting life, and I will resurrect him on the last day;"

John 6:60 "When they heard this, many of his disciples said: “This speech is shocking; who can listen to it?”

John 6:66 "Because of this, many of his disciples went off to the things behind and would no longer walk with him."

In the case of the first century Christians, again, we see God telling them regarding blood.  

Acts 15:20 "but to write them to abstain from things polluted by idols, from sexual immorality, from what is strangled, and from blood."

Acts 15:29 "to keep abstaining from things sacrificed to idols, from blood, from what is strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you carefully keep yourselves from these things, you will prosper. Good health to you!”

Here we see him say plainly abstain from blood!  Not just animal blood, but BLOOD.  Animal blood is included by saying things that are strangled, which is speaking of an animal that isn't properly bled, but the fact that it says abstain from blood means just what it says.  It means to stay away from it.  It doesn't mean to store it in a bag and administer it to another person.

Are you staying away from blood if you siphon it out of a person and inject it into another?  Are you pouring it out on the ground like water or covering it with dust?  No...

"We must obey God as ruler rather than men" (Acts 5:29)

Sister T

Jehovah`s Witness

Sister T