Jehovah`s Witness/How do you know which one to pray for/

Greetings Sister T,
 How or when do you know which one to pray to: Holy Spirit or Jehovah? I'm a little confused.
 Thank you.

Greetings Phil and thank you for writing.

We should only pray to the only true God Jehovah, in the name of, or through his son Jesus. No one else but Jehovah is called the hearer of prayer.

Psalm 65:2 "O Hearer of prayer, to you people of all sorts will come."

Colossians 3:17 "Whatever it is that you do in word or in deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, thanking God the Father through him"

The Bible helps us to see that Jehovah God is a God who requires exclusive devotion, we should not pray to any other gods but him.

Deuteronomy 5:7-9 "You must never have any other gods besides me. 8 “‘You must not make for yourself a carved image or a form like anything that is in the heavens above or on the earth below or in the waters under the earth. 9 You must not bow down to them nor be led to serve them, for I, Jehovah your God, am a God who requires exclusive devotion......"

Jesus reinforces that exclusivity for his Father Jehovah.

Matthew 22:36-38 "Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”  37 He said to him: “‘You must love Jehovah your God with your whole heart and with your whole soul and with your whole mind.’  38 This is the greatest and first commandment."

Holy spirit is Gods active force which he uses to accomplish his will, it is not God. The Bible does not teach that.

Acts 10:44,45 "While Peter was still speaking about these matters, the holy spirit came upon all those hearing the word.  45 And the circumcised believers who had come with Peter were amazed, because the free gift of the holy spirit was being poured out also on people of the nations.  (also compare Gen 1:2)

For even more solid proof, the Bible shows that Jesus made it clear who we are to pray to, only his Father, Jehovah. Never did Jesus say to pray to himself, the holy spirit, saints, Mary, etc, but only to his Father.

Matthew 6:9 "You must pray, then, this way:“‘Our Father in the heavens, let your name be sanctified"

Luke 11:2-4 "So he said to them: “Whenever you pray, say: ‘Father, let your name be sanctified. Let your Kingdom come. 3 Give us each day our bread according to our daily needs. 4 And forgive us our sins, for we ourselves also forgive everyone who is in debt to us; and do not bring us into temptation.’”

So if you want God to listen to your prayers, please always pray directly to Jehovah and end that prayer by saying in Jesus name or through Jesus, thus acknowledging the privilege of being able to approdach God in prayer because of the fact that Jesus died for us.

We pray to Jehovah asking him for his holy spirit that will help us to serve him in an acceptable manner.

Luke 11:13  " much more so will the Father in heaven give holy spirit to those asking him!”

Hope that helped

Sister T

Jehovah`s Witness

Sister T

Please click here--> For your Free Home Bible Study

I can answer questions related to Jehovah's Witnesses and the Bible. I love learning the truth from the Bible and helping others to learn that truth as well. I don't know everything but will answer from the Bible, I like to use illustrations as well to help a person relate to what is being said. The Bible has the last say so over any person.

I am an active baptized Jehovah's Witness and Jehovah is Almighty God,(Ps. 83:18) and his Son Jesus Christ died so that everyone exercising faith in him may not be destroyed but have everlasting life. (John 3:16). I support my fellow Witnesses on this board who are real, and Jehovah's worldwide visible organization, including the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses. As God is not a God of disorder, and there could not be order if there were not ones to take the lead. Taking the lead and having a leader is not the same, our leader is Jesus Christ, and in order to have unity and order, there has to be arrangements in place. As the first century Christians had, there were men taking the lead, (Acts 6:1-6) as with Moses, (Exodus 18:21) and in our day, in following with Bible truths, we do the same. When people twist that around to us worshiping men, it is just a straight out lie! Why would the Scripture at 1 Tim. 3:1-10, 12, 13 give the criteria for men reaching out for an office of overseer if that was not meant to be? (Phil 1:1, Acts 20:17, 28, Eph. 4:11, 12, 2 Cor. 3:4-6). If we were not supposed to have men who take the lead, why was this scripture penned? James 5:14-15 "Is there anyone sick among YOU? Let him call the older men of the congregation to [him], and let them pray over him, greasing [him] with oil in the name of Jehovah. 15 And the prayer of faith will make the indisposed one well, and Jehovah will raise him up. Also, if he has committed sins, it will be forgiven him."

If you have legit questions and want to know the truth, please ask, but if you are here to spread your lies and twists of the scriptures or get your falsehoods out, you may get rejected! The truth is from the Bible, if what you say does not harmonize with the Bible then what you say is wrong! Context and other scriptures help determine scriptures that may stump us, let scripture interpret scripture. The Bible does not contradict itself, so if what you are being taught or if what you are teaching makes it seem like the Bible is contradictory, remember it's not the Bible it's the man-made teaching! Doctrines of men! Mark 7:6, 7 "He said to them: “Isaiah aptly prophesied about YOU hypocrites, as it is written, ‘This people honor me with [their] lips, but their hearts are far removed from me. 7 It is in vain that they keep worshiping me, because they teach as doctrines commands of men." (also Romans 10:2, 3)

Matthew 24:14 says "And this good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come." We are doing that today, we are living in times of Bible Prophecy and as a Jehovah's Witness, we have the privilege to be apart of a prophecy spoken by Jesus himself! The good news of the Kingdom. Ask yourself, what kingdom? then read Daniel 2:44! It's a real government. Take heed now! Listening to men over God will mean your life.(Prov 3:5,6, Ps. 146:3) A lie will never become truth, No matter how long or how many people say it or speak it. Learn what the Bible really teaches, seek out Jehovah's ways, serving God in truth is only acceptable to him,(John 4:23, 24) you can not be serving God acceptably if what you believe is a lie! Pray for understanding and ask Jehovah to search your heart and draw you! (John 6:44, 65) Now is the time to be with the people who are called by Jehovah's name! (Acts 15:14, 17, Isa. 43:7, 10, Zech 8:23)