Jehovah`s Witness/Evil rules the world - God still stands inactive

Question
Hello.

Eve before many centuries people like Job wondered why evil is not punished but instead lives in peace and happiness. On the other hand good people die and face torture, as Solomon also states. The power is in the hands of evil.

Im wondering why God permits all these things happening for eternity. If this is a world originally created by God, then God should care.

Some christians say that God permits evil in order to test us. A friend of mine told me that its stupid to face trials and be tortured in order to prove youre good. He says this is no sense and there was no need in the first place for this to happen. Why would an omnipotent God allow this theatre of tragedy? Was there any need for this to happen before the world even existed?

Some others say that Gods enjoy seeing stupid masses of humanity living in misery and wars. They created the world as a toy for their pleasure.

I mean theres no guarantee that God would ever act and punish evil. Judgement after death or Final Judgement seem an utopia and evil becomes stronger and stronger.

Thanks.

Answer
Hello Christophe

Thank you for your questions.  They are the sort of questions many people ask, and yes there are many different ways that people will try to answer them.  Personally I believe in what the bible says, and I do believe that the bible does give us the answer to those questions.  We can not blame God fro the problems that we have.  In Deuteronomy 32:4 we are told “The Rock, perfect is his activity, For all his ways are justice. A God of faithfulness who is never unjust; Righteous and upright is he.”  Nothing God does is unrighteous.  Every thing he does for good.  So why all the problems?

The Bible tells us that “the whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one.” 1 John 5:19 .  So why does not God get rid of the wicked one?

We need to start at the beginning to see what Gods purpose was for mankind and then see what went wrong.

When we read the first chapter of Genesis we see that when God prepared the earth and created man he said  “that it was good” (Gen 1:25 ).  After creating Adam and Eve he gave them a commission as recorded at Gen 1:28 “Further, God blessed them, and God said to them: “Be fruitful and become many, fill the earth and subdue it, and have in subjection the fish of the sea and the flying creatures of the heavens and every living creature that is moving on the earth”

What this tells us is that Gods intention was for Adam and Eve to have children and as they became many to cultivate the earth and look after it.

He gave them one simple law that they had to follow and that is not to eat of a particular tree because he said it belonged to him.  The consequences of eating from that tree would mean death.  The only reason that they would die is if they ate of that fruit.  Romans 5:12 tells us -- “That is why, just as through one man sin entered into the world and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men because they had all sinned.” – We all die because of Adam.  Just think about what that is saying.  If Adam and Eve (particularly Adam) had not eaten of that fruit (and sinned), they would not have have died , and would still be alive today.

That is what Gods purpose was for mankind for perfect man to live under his rule in perfect conditions without dying.

What was the importance of not eating from that tree?  It was a way of Adam and Eve showing their loyalty to God, recognising that God was their ruler, that God had the right to tell them what they can or can not do.   There was nothing hard or difficult about that one law, because God had “given to you every seed-bearing plant that is on the entire earth and every tree with seed-bearing fruit. Let them serve as food for you” (Gen 1:29 ).

We know from the account that Satan tempted Eve into eating the fruit from that tree.  What was significant about that?  Well Satan was once an angelic son of God.  That first text I quoted tells us that God did not create Satan as Satan.   James gives a clue as to what happened.  At James 1:14, 15 we are told  “14 But each one is tried by being drawn out and enticed by his own desire. 15 Then the desire, when it has become fertile, gives birth to sin; in turn, sin, when it has been accomplished, brings forth death.”

This angel that became Satan had a desire, a desire to be more important that he was.  He dwelt on that desire until it over took him and he acted on it. When he tempted Eve he was, in effect saying to God. –--  “What gives you the right to decide what these humans can do?  Why do they have to obey you?  Why cant they make up their own minds as to what they can and can not do?  Perhaps I could be a better ruler over them that you can be”----  His actions challenged Gods right to rule.

So a very serious question had been raised in front of all the heavenly hosts, for all the angels, seraphs and cherubs to think about, and that is “Does God have the right to be our ruler?”

Think about this for a moment.  If God had decided to do away with Satan and Adam and Eve right there and then, would that accusation about Gods rightfulness to rule have been answered?  It would have shown that God had the power to rule.  But God does not want his subjects , heavenly or earthly, to worship and obey him out of fear.   “God is love” (1 John 4:16 ).  That is his dominant quality.  He made man, and all his heavenly angels with free will.  God wants us to serve him because we want to, because we appreciate that he is our life giver and that he deserves our honour and respect.

We know God gave us free will from the principle recorded at 2 Corinthians 9:7 “Let each one do just as he has resolved in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion , for God loves a cheerful giver.”   He wants us to give him our best cheerfully and freely.

To answer the question raised by Satan about Gods right to rule, he has given Satan control of the affairs of the earth for a period of time to test the accusation.  We know that Satan was handed control because of what is recorded at Luke 4:6 where Satan is tempting Jesus and offers Jesus authority over the kingdoms of the earth.  The account tells us that Satan acknowledges that such authority had been handed to him, so it was his to give away.  The texts reads “ Then the Devil said to him: “I will give you all this authority and their glory, because it has been handed over to me , and I give it to whomever I wish”

Just because Satan has authority now does mean that he will have it forever.  Gods original purpose has not changed

Isaiah 55:11 So my word that goes out of my mouth will be. It will not return to me without results, But it will certainly accomplish whatever is my delight, And it will have sure success in what I send it to do.

Isaiah 45:18 The One who formed the earth, its Maker who firmly established it, Who did not create it simply for nothing, but formed it to be inhabited. . .

Psalm 37:29 The righteous will possess the earth, And they will live forever on it.
Psalm 115:16 As for the heavens, they belong to Jehovah, But the earth he has given to the sons of men.

To fulfil Gods word to have the earth populated with perfect humans, God must do something about Satan.  We are told that Satan has been judged and is to be cast out.

John 16:11 “then concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world has been judged.”

John 12:31 “Now there is a judging of this world; now the ruler of this world will be cast out.”

Gods love for mankind, and his perfect justice (see Deuteronomy 32:4  quoted above)   meant that he had to put something in place to allow a reconciliation for mankind to God.  That is what Jesus, Gods first born of all creation came to earth as a corresponding ransom to cover the transgression of Adam. (1 Timothy 2:5, 6 “ . . .a man, Christ Jesus, 6 who gave himself a corresponding ransom for all. . .”)

So God made a provision for us to be reconciled back to him

John 3:16 . . .“For God loved the world so much that he gave his only-begotten Son, so that everyone exercising faith in him might not be destroyed but have everlasting life. . .

Romans 6:23 . . .For the wages sin pays is death, but the gift God gives is everlasting life by Christ Jesus our Lord. . .”

We have these assuances from God regarding the futher of the earth-who

Psalm 37:10, 11  10 Just a little while longer, and the wicked will be no more; You will look at where they were, And they will not be there. 11 But the meek will possess the earth, And they will find exquisite delight in the abundance of peace. . .

Isaiah 45:18  For this is what Jehovah says, The Creator of the heavens, the true God, The One who formed the earth, its Maker who firmly established it, Who did not create it simply for nothing, but formed it to be inhabited: “I am Jehovah, and there is no one else.

Matthew 5:5  “Happy are the mild-tempered, since they will inherit the earth.

Revelation 21:3  With that I heard a loud voice from the throne say: “Look! The tent of God is with mankind, and he will reside with them, and they will be his people. And God himself will be with them.”

But why does not God do something about it now?  We tend to look at things from a very human perspective.  Our view of time is quite different from that of Gods.   We at times get impatient waitng for God to do something. Look at this text to see how Gods view time.  and how we can be assured that what God  do what he has said.

2 Peter 3:8-10  “However, let this one fact not be escaping YOUR notice, beloved ones, that one day is with Jehovah as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day. 9 Jehovah is not slow respecting his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with YOU because he does not desire any to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance. 10 Yet Jehovah’s day will come as a thief, in which the heavens will pass away with a hissing noise, but the elements being intensely hot will be dissolved, and earth and the works in it will be discovered.”
God is not to blame for the problems we have.  He does care about us and has had to allow an issue time to be settled. His purpose is to restore the earth and mankind to its original condition when he created Adam and Eve

To find out more go to this web site https://www.jw.org/en/search/?q=why+does+god+allow+suffering scroll down the page.

Just as a point of interest here, when we get questions we are told from what country the question is as asked.  I notice that you are in Greece. If you would prefer to read in Greek here is a link to a Greek language  web site https://www.jw.org/el/   Along the top line at the right hand side there a a search option.  If you click on that and do a search in Greek using something like “why does God permit wickedness”  or “why does god permit suffering”  I would think that you would find something in Greek for you to read on the subject.

There is a modern Greek Bible at that web site to read.  

Jehovah`s Witness

Brenton Hepburn