Jehovah`s Witness/Who did Jehovah receive power from?

Hello Brenton,how are you doing?
Was wondering where did Jehovah receive his power from in Rev.4:11?
Thanks. Kevin.

Hello Kevin,

Thank you for that question. It has been some time since we have conversed. Besides having pain in my back all the time, I am doing OK.

Revelation 4:11 is a text I have read many times over the years and never really gave it much thought. I always had a sort, of idea from the context what it might refer to, but never really stopped to consider it in depth. I think we need to look at two things here, the context, and the meaning of the word some of the words including power.

In the NWT this verse reads  “You are worthy, Jehovah our God, to receive the glory and the honor and the power, because you created all things, and because of your will they came into existence and were created.”

In the KJV this verse reads “Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.”

The clue to how God “receives power” comes from verse 10 which reads “the 24 elders fall down before the One seated on the throne and worship the One who lives forever and ever, and they cast their crowns before the throne, saying”  

We are told that these 24 elders are the ones speaking. They are praising God.  My understanding is, that these ones are, in effect, assigning glory, honour and power to God because he is the cause of all things being created.

From the context it would appear as if they are not giving Jehovah something that he never had before, but that they are recognising that God deserves honour and glory and power.

One of the difficulties in translating the Koine Greek that the New Testament was written in, is, no one today actually speaks that language as a first language.  No body thinks in that language. Scholars can only do their best based on the way they think and the knowledge that have of the Koine Greek. Often, there are many ways a word can be translated according to context.  There are also differences in the various manuscripts that are used by translators.  I will illustrate that with the following examples

The Greek text that the KJV was translated from literally reads (according my copy of the Concordant
Greek Text Sublinear,  using  Scriverners Textus Receptus)
Worthy   you-are   master   to-be-getting   the   esteem   and   the   value   and   the   ability   that   you   create   the    all     and   throu   the   will-of    you   they-are    and     are -created.

The Interlinear found at reads slightly differently.  There are few added words in this Greek text that are not in the one above.  The translators also render some words differently. The added words are in bold.  Words rendered differently are underlined.

Worthy   you-are  the  master  and  the  God  of-us  to-receive   the   glory   and   the   honour   and   the   power   for    you   created   the    all-things     and   throu   the   will-of    you   they-existed    and    were -created.

If you go to this web site  you will see a basic definition of the Greek word rendered as worthy. The NASB Translation renders this word in the following ways

appropriate (1), deserve (2), deserving (4), fitting (2), keeping (2), unworthy (1), worthy (29).

At this web site there a quite a lot said about the basic word rendered as receive.

The Greek word rendered power has a similar set of meanings as the English word.  According to the English word power can have these menaings.

ability to do or act; capability of doing or accomplishing something.
political or national strength:
the balance of power in Europe.
great or marked ability to do or act; strength; might; force.
the possession of control or command over others; authority;ascendancy:
power over men's minds.
political ascendancy or control in the government of a country, state,etc.:
They attained power by overthrowing the legal government.
legal ability, capacity, or authority:
the power of attorney.
delegated authority; authority granted to a person or persons in a particular office or capacity:
the powers of the president.

The Greek word rendered power includes these meanings

“ a) physical power, force, might, ability, efficacy, energy, meaning (b) plur: powerful deeds, deeds showing (physical) power, marvelous works.”

The 1965 Bible in Basic English has an interesting take on this verse …..  “It is right, our Lord and our God, for you to have glory and honour and power: because by you were all things made, and by your desire they came into being.”

That rendering is telling us that God has the right to have glory and honour shown to him, and for us to recognise his power due to him being the author of creation.

There are two other texts in Revelation that I found that have a similar expression to Rev 4:11 and  these to are attributed to various  individuals giving praise to Jehovah

(Revelation 7:12) saying: “Amen! Let the praise and the glory and the wisdom and the thanksgiving and the honor and the power and the strength be to our God forever and ever. Amen.”

(Revelation 19:1) After this I heard what seemed to be a loud voice of a great crowd in heaven. They said: “Praise Jah! The salvation and the glory and the power belong to our God,

So my understanding is, then, that the 24 elders mentioned in verse 10, are not wanting to exalt themselves in the presence of God casting their crowns down before him. They humbly recognise that the only purpose of their kingship is to bring honour and glory to him. Submissively, they acknowledge their own inferiority and confess that their rulership is dependent on the sovereignty of Jehovah. Thus, they are in heartfelt harmony with the cherubs and the rest of faithful creation in giving praise and glory to the God who created all things

Jehovah`s Witness

Brenton Hepburn

I AM one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, and I am always learning. I am NOT an expert in the full sense of the word but I can answer questions on the reliability of the NWT - the so called mind control problems-so called prophecies - how being a JW affects the individual and relatives and general practices and history of Jehovah’s Witnesses. >>WARNING<< Please be aware that there are people here who ARE NOT practicing JWs. By all means ask these ones questions. Depending on the question you will get an honest answer, but, generally the answer you get, will mislead you as to what we believe, often because, they do not give ALL the relevant details. These ones will, have an agenda against JWs., and will at times give answers that are not correct in regard to JW teachings and practices. If you are after a answer from one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, please read some of the answers that the various experts have published before choosing someone. If you want to ask one of the NON JWs a question, that is fine, BUT if you want a balancing view after asking one of the NON JWs, ask a JW the same question. PLEASE ALSO NOTE: There(have been)and are, some "experts" here who are NOT always the most courteous and polite, at times are actually quite rude, that applies to both JW's and non JW's and their answers may offend, especially when they get personal and attack the character of the person and not the message. Unfortunately some here that have done that. So it IS IMPORTANT to chose an "expert" that YOU feel will best suit YOU by reading some of their past answers . . . . .

I have been a publisher since 1964. When I first went on the internet I found a lot of negative information dealing with Jehovah’s Witnesses covering prophecy, mind control and what many said was a very bad translation of the Bible known as the NWT. It shook my faith. After may hours researching these topics I could see why some felt that way, but, I was also able to explain why there were these misleading views. I can now set matters straight for anyone that has negative information about Jehovah’s Witness to show them that such information is at best misleading and at worst dangerous lies.

I have been a student of the Bible for many years, am trying to teach myself Biblical Greek. Was a public tax accountant for many years untill SEP 2009 when I gave it up due to health problems.