Jehovah`s Witness/Rev 4:11

Hello Brenton, always enjoy your well prepared answers, and website. I would add some in this instance to your answer regarding God receiving power Rev 4:11.

I looked into this myself several years back. I find this answer in the definition of the word Lambano (Strong's #2983). The meaning of that word includes the receiving back or taking back something, something the receiver rightly owns. I believe it is taking back the power / authority that long ago was given to the angel who became Satan the Devil, the god of this system of things. His time is expiring / expired.

Sincerely my brother, Stan

Greetings Stan,

Thank you for those extra comments.

I had noticed when researching this text that the basic Greek word  “lambano” can mean either “to take” or “to receive”.   In Revelation 4:11 the form of “lambano” used here is “labein”.  This use of the word here, is in the active voice meaning, that the subject is the doer or performer of the action.  In this text at Revelation 4:11 the subject of the sentence is the 24 elders, so it is they who are performing the action.

Your comment that it may refer to to the taking back of the power that long ago was handed to Satan was an interesting one. So I have spent some time looking at that idea and I have found several texts that  tell us that Satan indeed does have the power of rulership or authority.  The first text I found was Luke 4:6 where Satan is tempting Jesus and offers Jesus authority over the kingdoms of the earth.  The account tells us that Satan acknowledges that such authority had been handed to him, so it was his to give away.  The texts reads “ Then the Devil said to him: “I will give you all this authority and their glory, because it has been handed over to me , and I give it to whomever I wish”

There are several texts that tell us that Satan has authority or is ruler of this system

John 12:31 “Now there is a judging of this world; now the ruler of this world will be cast out.”

John 14:30 “I will not speak with you much more, for the ruler of the world is coming, and he has no hold on me.”

John 16:11 “then concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world has been judged.”

Acts 26:17, 18 “And I will rescue you from this people and from the nations, to whom I am sending you 18 to open their eyes, to turn them from darkness to light and from the authority of Satan to God, so that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those sanctified by their faith in me.’”

2 Corinthians 4:3, 4 If, in fact, the good news we declare is veiled, it is veiled among those who are perishing, 4 among whom the god of this system of things has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, so that the illumination of the glorious good news about the Christ, who is the image of God, might not shine through.”

Ephesians 2:1, 2 “Furthermore, God made you alive, though you were dead in your trespasses and sins, 2 in which you at one time walked according to the system of things of this world, according to the ruler of the authority of the air , the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience.”

1 John 5:19 “We know that we originate with God, but the whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one .”

So then, when the 24 elders mentioned in verse 10, are doing the action of giving praise and glory to the God who created all things, in light of those texts, they may well be acknowledging that, not only does all power belongs to God, but, also his right to have all the power and authority that had at one time been handed to Satan when he had dominion over the affairs of the this system given, back to him.

Jehovah`s Witness

Brenton Hepburn

I AM one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, and I am always learning. I am NOT an expert in the full sense of the word but I can answer questions on the reliability of the NWT - the so called mind control problems-so called prophecies - how being a JW affects the individual and relatives and general practices and history of Jehovah’s Witnesses. >>WARNING<< Please be aware that there are people here who ARE NOT practicing JWs. By all means ask these ones questions. Depending on the question you will get an honest answer, but, generally the answer you get, will mislead you as to what we believe, often because, they do not give ALL the relevant details. These ones will, have an agenda against JWs., and will at times give answers that are not correct in regard to JW teachings and practices. If you are after a answer from one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, please read some of the answers that the various experts have published before choosing someone. If you want to ask one of the NON JWs a question, that is fine, BUT if you want a balancing view after asking one of the NON JWs, ask a JW the same question. PLEASE ALSO NOTE: There(have been)and are, some "experts" here who are NOT always the most courteous and polite, at times are actually quite rude, that applies to both JW's and non JW's and their answers may offend, especially when they get personal and attack the character of the person and not the message. Unfortunately some here that have done that. So it IS IMPORTANT to chose an "expert" that YOU feel will best suit YOU by reading some of their past answers . . . . .

I have been a publisher since 1964. When I first went on the internet I found a lot of negative information dealing with Jehovah’s Witnesses covering prophecy, mind control and what many said was a very bad translation of the Bible known as the NWT. It shook my faith. After may hours researching these topics I could see why some felt that way, but, I was also able to explain why there were these misleading views. I can now set matters straight for anyone that has negative information about Jehovah’s Witness to show them that such information is at best misleading and at worst dangerous lies.

I have been a student of the Bible for many years, am trying to teach myself Biblical Greek. Was a public tax accountant for many years untill SEP 2009 when I gave it up due to health problems.