Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/Repair of foil back on rhinestones

Perky1 wrote at 2008-03-12 02:02:13
I bought a huge lot of vintage rhinestones to replace some of my jewelry stones a while back, they are best for a vintage piece, although hard to come by!!

LKB wrote at 2008-08-16 23:38:06
Krylon makes 'Looking Glass Mirror-Like' spray paint.  It can turn plain glass into a mirror.  Personally, I've found that for small projects like rhinestones, it is better to 'paint' it on than to spray it.  To this end, I spray it into a small 'cup' (Do NOT use Styrofoam as it will melt) until it forms a small puddle then use an eye-dropper to apply it.

Mindy Lou wrote at 2010-07-25 17:53:15
I am trying to restore some rhinestones from my great grandmothers brooch. I have tried several things, silver leaf paint( too dull) and chrome paint. The chrome paint would have worked but the silver floats to the surface leaving the inside of the dull part of the paint. I'm looking for resilvering paint without any luck. I am using a microscope and tweezers for the processes. Checked hobby stores and hardware stores for the paint without any luck. Going to try online. Wish me luck.  

monakw wrote at 2011-11-23 21:10:36
I was searching for stained glass supplys.There is one process in stained glass called copper foiling.On a page that sold copper foil... I recall the name of the site was Glasscrafters,there was a product,a tape which was supplied for creating mirror back on fairly small pieces of glass.So search in stained glass supplies for your small rhinestone damage,hope this helps.

Gemlady43 wrote at 2015-09-19 18:40:31
Hi...I have just been through some exhaustive trials trying to restore the silver to the back of an unusually cut rhinestone that we could not locate a replacement for. I have located s paint that actually does the trick really well. Make sure to carefully remove all traces of original foil. I used a product called zip strip. Got it at Lowes. The I found a spray paint at Michael's Arts and Crafts by Krylon. It is called Looking Glass. I have tried silver, chrome and even tried silver leafing. All those produced a dull coating.  The Looking Glass paint, however came out shiny! Success. You must coat a couple of times and makes sure you keep a distance of at least ten inches when spraying. Let it dry thoroughly, then carefully clean off excess paint with the zip strip. I have pics of the results. Not perfect but far superior to all the other methods

Lois wrote at 2015-10-03 19:34:21
I had to restore  a large out of norm sized Marquise blue rhinestone. No replacements available. We tried several paints and foils but nothing worked. We were going to give up but then one last trip to the hobby store, I found a spray paint that said it was made for glass and would create a mirror effect. It is called KRYLON Looking Glass silver. This stuff actually does a superb job. I have pics to support this. As you said, you MUST remove all leftover backing. I use a rubber wheel to get off the outside harder part, then use a paint thinner like Zip Strip. Acetone works but slowly and not as effectively. I then sprayed a light coating from a distance of 6 inches. After thoroughly drying, I added a couple more coats. The effect was miraculous. I am a 40 year bench jeweler in a custom jewelry store, but we had a client who wanted to duplicate her costume designer ring in Sterling.

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Thomas