Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/makers mark

Robert wrote at 2012-01-15 22:51:15
Hello, I happened by this web site while attempting to identify an old gold ring that I uncovered from deep dirt while clearing my parents back yard. I was shocked to read that another reader found a ring with a hallmark exactly like the one that I found. It is a man's simple gold wedding band, worn ( not very large ). It seems to be plated. The hallmark is an eagle head inside a square. On either side are diamond figures with simple arrows inside each diamond pointing towards the eagle's head within the square. I found this ring at least 40 years ago . I am from Goshen , New York an area that has been settled since colonial times with a unique history during the French and Indian war. If anyone can lend me a hand on the identification I would greatly appreciate it. Perhaps the writer of the request dated 11/25/2009 has determined the nature of his similar find?  

J. Scotlind wrote at 2012-06-02 20:25:37
Hello,

The eagle head between arrows is the hallmark of Ostby & Barton Co., Providence, R.I. circa 1900 - 1910

Interesting side note, Mr Ostby died on the Titanic in 1912

http://www.chicagosilver.com/jmarks12_files/image067.jpg

keith wrote at 2014-03-02 12:47:30
I know it has been a while, but the eagle with arrows pointing to the eagle from each direction is the mark of Ostby and Barton.  It is an early and rare mark of the company.  

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Bill and Sally Jarrett