Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/amber necklace

MOLLY BARKER wrote at 2009-08-19 10:55:39
ım not sure ı agree wıth your answer Thomas ı own and run a small silver shop and amber ıs a very difficult stone to not only clean but also to restore after ıts come ınto contact wıth any chemicals especıally those that are pregnated into silver polishing cloths. the only way ı have ever been able to bring back a piece of amber ıs by fırst washing ın luke warm water and very mild soap thıs cleans the silver around the stone also after rınse wıth lots of water to ensure no soap remains and after buffıng the stone wıth olıve oıl and cotton wool however wıth some stones dependıng on the quality there ıs a plasic lıke finish applied to the stone which over the space of a few short months starts to peel off and dıscolour, if this is the case as ı belıve ıt ıs as this plasic finish ıs affected by chlorine, the finish must first be removed before the olıve oıl can be applied ıts a slow process and several applıcatıons of oıl are often needed before the amber ıs fully restored but ıt does work. the best rule ı ahve found through bıtter exsperıance ıs to sımply remember that amber should only be cleaned wıth natural substances. water and olıve oıl. No cloths no cleanıng fluids No chemicals what so ever. good luck =>

Amber wrote at 2015-07-01 18:32:05
The pool chemicals were probably the least of the problem.  A quick internet search reveals that it is apparently widely known in some circles that WATER itself makes amber cloudy.  Why jewelers don't tell you to be aware of this when you purchase your amber piece is beyond me.  I mean, most of us would consider immersing your hands in water with an amber ring on innocuous.  But it's not.  Try a non-abrasive toothpaste to buff the shine back into the amber.  Failing that, take it to a jeweler and have it polished professionally (although all this does is remove the topmost cloudy layer).  There, simple question, simple answer.

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Have a question about jewelry repair or working with precious metal jewelry and gemstones? For many years up to December 31, 2010, I was a working professional bench jeweler, involved everyday with setting stones in mountings, designing and making jewelry, repairing and limited custom manufacture. If you work with jewelry as a hobby or as a profession, I might be able to help. I deal with the retail business, not mass production. Ask privately if you wish. See the box for that: It keeps your question between us. Please DO NOT ask MAKER'S MARKS, but metal quality marks are fine to ask. Please DO NOT ask diamond prices. See a gemologist for that.

I have extensive experience in design, service and making of jewelry. I deal mostly with precious metals and gemstones but work with many materials as needed and usable to create an artistic design. My experience also includes freelance photography and photographer of jewelry and similar items for a former employer and individuals. Design of custom items requires reading the desires of the client and being clear on what can be done within that framework...then fulfilling the transition of idea to reality. Effective communications is essential in a working designer/producer and customer relationship.

Education is English/Physics! Started in human resources, to advertising, to, what a road. I have had formal training in jewelry work and many shared experiences with top grade jewelers. We just never know were we will go or be. Follow your best, your dreams, with some discretion! Don't let the work tear up your body along the way as it has mine.