Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/Boric acid phenomenon

johnny wrote at 2013-12-30 01:47:58
Ahha! I might have an answer here, I have some amature  experience in the art of crystallization. And from my experience the explanation of this fuzzy bridges of crystals may be due to the cohesion of the saturated solution of boric acid and alcohol, at the beginning crystals start to form as the solubility of the boric acid reaches a maximum as the alcohol evaporates and the boric acid is forced out of the solution and naturally precipitates on a network of boric acid molecules. as the thin tall crystals progress to grow beyond the height of the solution the crystal behaves as a wick because of the cohesion of the solution, when the solution is carried out onto the crystal the alcohol will evaporate quicker depositing molecules on the newly formed crystal therefore expanding the crystals overall dimensions. As this continues the lattice of crystals is easily visible and distinguishable but that is just a hypothesis, it seeks further testing.

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Have a question about jewelry repair or working with precious metal jewelry and gemstones? For many years up to December 31, 2010, I was a working professional bench jeweler, involved everyday with setting stones in mountings, designing and making jewelry, repairing and limited custom manufacture. If you work with jewelry as a hobby or as a profession, I might be able to help. I deal with the retail business, not mass production. Ask privately if you wish. See the box for that: It keeps your question between us. Please DO NOT ask MAKER'S MARKS, but metal quality marks are fine to ask. Please DO NOT ask diamond prices. See a gemologist for that.

I have extensive experience in design, service and making of jewelry. I deal mostly with precious metals and gemstones but work with many materials as needed and usable to create an artistic design. My experience also includes freelance photography and photographer of jewelry and similar items for a former employer and individuals. Design of custom items requires reading the desires of the client and being clear on what can be done within that framework...then fulfilling the transition of idea to reality. Effective communications is essential in a working designer/producer and customer relationship.

Education is English/Physics! Started in human resources, to advertising, to, what a road. I have had formal training in jewelry work and many shared experiences with top grade jewelers. We just never know were we will go or be. Follow your best, your dreams, with some discretion! Don't let the work tear up your body along the way as it has mine.