Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/antique clauddagh ring

grandmother\'s claddagh ring
grandmother's claddagh  
HI Thomas! I recently have inherited my grandmother's old emerald claddagh ring. It has been handed down from generation to generation in our family. I love it and would like to know if it has any value besides sentimental value. I would never sell it but i am curious. It has the word Dason 10k engraved on it and a little crown on top of the heart. That's all I can tell you about it.I would really appreciate it if you could tell me more about it.

Dear Angela,

Dason is a jewelry manufacturer in the USA and items are sold in Sears stores among other places. They make some diamond fashion jewelry and a line of fraternal rings, such as Masonic items.  I can not find any Irish Claddagh rings in their current offerings. You might possibly get contact info on Dason from a Sears jewelry department and then ask Dason about when a claddagh like the one you inherited might have been made.

The ring has value considering it is made of 10karat gold plus what value the stone might have. The stone would need to be checked out because many of these stones are manmade, much like the stones in class rings.  I doubt the age of the ring will add much in value.  Yes, the ring does have more than sentimental value but it would take an appraisal to determine that.

From what I have read, when on the right hand with the point of the heart going away, you are looking for deep friendship. When pointed in, toward you ("toward the heart") you have found that friendship. On the left hand pointing out means engaged and pointing in means married. In all honesty, "traditions" about the Claddagh are generally relatively recent creations, with very little in actual historical verification.  The Irish style of joined hands ring has been around since the 1600's. It is easy to see the "friendship" or closeness expressed by joined hands, with a heart to add emotion and love and a crown to add fidelity.  All in all, the symbolism is quite meaningful and would serve well in relationships today.

Thanks!  God Bless and Peace.  Thomas.  

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Have a question about jewelry repair or working with precious metal jewelry and gemstones? For many years up to December 31, 2010, I was a working professional bench jeweler, involved everyday with setting stones in mountings, designing and making jewelry, repairing and limited custom manufacture. If you work with jewelry as a hobby or as a profession, I might be able to help. I deal with the retail business, not mass production. Ask privately if you wish. See the box for that: It keeps your question between us. Please DO NOT ask MAKER'S MARKS, but metal quality marks are fine to ask. Please DO NOT ask diamond prices. See a gemologist for that.

I have extensive experience in design, service and making of jewelry. I deal mostly with precious metals and gemstones but work with many materials as needed and usable to create an artistic design. My experience also includes freelance photography and photographer of jewelry and similar items for a former employer and individuals. Design of custom items requires reading the desires of the client and being clear on what can be done within that framework...then fulfilling the transition of idea to reality. Effective communications is essential in a working designer/producer and customer relationship.

Education is English/Physics! Started in human resources, to advertising, to, what a road. I have had formal training in jewelry work and many shared experiences with top grade jewelers. We just never know were we will go or be. Follow your best, your dreams, with some discretion! Don't let the work tear up your body along the way as it has mine.