Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals/Stamps inside gold ring

Question
I apologize if you are not the correct person to ask. I have a yellow gold engagement ring that is marked on the inside with made in china and on the other side it Appears to He just left our house so will be there in 5..and he has my car ;-)say s14 gf not sure of the f and the last mark looks something like a w..please let me know if the ring is. Real and what the stamps mean

Thank you

Answer
Dear Meliss,

First of all, there is part of the question that looks like part of a personal conversation and maybe you typed it here by accident.   If I take that part out you are saying the ring has a "made in china" mark and on the other side it appears to be s14 gf with a possible "w" and you are not certain of the "f".

I do no answer on makers marks but do answer on quality marks. Quality marks tell us what the metal is and how pure it is. For example, 14k is a quality mark for gold.  This can be 14k or 14kt, with the k or kt standing for karat.  A mark with GF after the number usually means gold filled, a heavy layer of gold on the outside but not gold through and through.  However, the mark should tell the karat of the gold layer, such as 14k, and also if the ring is weighed how much of that weight is 14k gold. The mark would normally be like this 1/10 14k GF.   The other marks you tell me about do not fit the standards for marking gold filled.  I suspect the metal is gold filled but there is not enough of the legal mark to say for sure.

It is possible the letter marks are initials for the manufacturer and those should be next to the karat mark.  Made in China is ok. Most jewelry sold here is imported from China or other Asian countries with some coming from Europs.

This is the best I can answer with the information you provided.  Best wishes and do enjoy your ring.

God Bless and Peace.   Thomas.

Jewelry, Gems, & Minerals

Thomas